2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 6 posts - 501 through 506 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

@bccran – What’s your point?

After today, two of the top 4 hitters on the team are outfielders. Spring Training Stats

Participant

Paid - Annual

Outfield weak spot and I hope they pursue a top notch center fielder next off season if not sooner.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino had to get bailed out of a first inning jam. Wow. And yikes.

It will be interesting to see how long the organization’s bromance with Carlson lasts.

I also wonder how long DeJong will be the everyday ss. My opinion his numbers will continue to head south as they have since the high point in 2017. OPS+ more than a couple points below 100 this season. First thing to happen will be to find another option for protecting NA. Drop PDJ down in the order where he will join the outfielder pile that will form at the bottom of the order as guys gravitate toward doing what they have previously done offensively. Nogowski has been a productive .300 hitter so I think he will be a producer and end up in there every day. They could hit him 4th without worrying he will think he needs to be Babe Ruth and hit .230 with a homer a week.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its funny about DeJong. He’s had two glaring weaknesses at the plate for the last couple of years. I guess the league caught up with him after his first year or two. The high fastball and the low outside breaking pitch. From what I saw this spring he still has those two weaknesses. Seems like they should have been fixed by now. I guess they arent though. I’ll wait and hold judgement until the season is a few weeks old.

But, would anybody like to bet that his first atbat in Cincinnati that he will strikeout on either a high fastball or a low outside breaking pitch? And before anybody laughs remember how I knew beforehand what was happing in the final game of the 2019 NLCS at Washington.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo Monday remark concerning Carpenter, per BW:

Hit ball hard, but hit where they (the defense) are.

I got a chuckle out of this, Mo doing a great Mr. Obvious impersonation. Its called hitting into the shift relentlessly. Even with somewhat diminished bat speed he still does it. It is pretty clear there is nothing he can do about it. Matt Adams was the same way.

Participant

LACardFan -if you don’t recognize that the Achilles’ tendon of this team is the outfield, I can’t help you.

Viewing 6 posts - 501 through 506 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years