2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I have paid close attention to Bader’s “antics” after it has been brought up so often. (Granted, I can’t watch all the games but I do watch about a quarter of the their games. I TIVO them when they are on TV and watch them during the winter.) The thing I noticed is that Bader only messes with his batting gloves after he has swung at a pitch and stepped out of the batter’s box. He does it sometimes when looking at the third base coach for signs. He does NOT do it every pitch. It seems to be a thing he does to fill the time before stepping back into the box. If he doesn’t swing, he stays in the box and doesn’t mess with his gloves.

His “shimmy” seems to be a prep mechanism while in the box and getting ready to have the pitch thrown. It is almost his form of loading except it happens well before a normal load. I bet it was started as a way of setting his timing a long time ago and has been used ever since.

Participant

Free

Some good things today.

Reyes and the outfielders getting hits but 18 LOB…yuck.

Participant

Free

Whether Bader does it every pitch or only 80% of the time is mox nix, Forsch. The point is he has too many things going on between pitches. He’s a much better hitter when he stays in the box and stays concentrated. Doesn’t think about his swing plane, barrel rate, exit velocity, etc. Concentrates on two things only – swing at the good pitches (even early in the count) and lay off bad pitches. Again, question for you. Why does he now wear gloves with a Velcro strap that’s so long that it’s impractical to undo and redo?

Again, does anyone know if the shift is used in the minor leagues?

Participant

Free

I guess when Bader comes to the plate, he should never get outside the batters box until he either gets a hit, a walk or a strikeout. That’s what all the good hitters do and it would solve all his problems. He should also forget about getting signs from his coaches, too. It makes him think too much.

Participant

Free

Watch Goldy, Arenado, Yadi, etc. at the plate, Forsch. Notice the difference with Bader.

Participant

Free

He has long, curly hair.

Participant

Free

He thinks by stepping out and going into his routine, he’s getting ready. But all it does is cost him momentum and total concentration in the box. He’s over thinking. Many times he takes the first pitch right down the middle. Goldy, RA, and Yadi are locked in from the time they first step into the box. And stay locked in.

Participant

Free

Bc, I guess you are right, as always. I didn’t see him stay in the box between pitches except when he swung at a pitch. Bader and I bow to your superior intellect because you played college baseball and know more than a major league player or someone who didn’t play college ball.

Participant

Free

It’s just an observation, Forsch. And an opinion based upon that observation. Nothing more, nothing less.

But I’ll ask you a third time. Why is he wearing gloves that prevent him from redoing the Velcro. He started to redo several times and forgot that he couldn’t. Just a coincidence that he’s wearing those type of gloves? I would think he would wear the kind he wore before if there wasn’t something up (and the redo was such an important part of his routine).

Participant

Free

I’m sure it couldn’t be that he decided to try another batting glove manufacturer or that the old gloves manufacturer changed the gloves he was wearing. Those things never happen.

Participant

Free

Let me ask you a question. Are you saying he shouldn’t be thinking about the game situation, pitch sequence and the count when he’s batting?

Participant

Free

Not at all. He can do all of those things by staying in the box and concentrating. Most of the other players do that. Again, just one fan’s opinion.

Participant

If you watch some dated baseball in black and white you may notice that the good hitters watch the pitcher between pitches. (Maybe because they didn’t use batting gloves back then.)

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just a fake drama discussion where one fan assumes he knows what’s going on in the players minds during PA’s. Laughable.

Participant

Free

bccran
    Many times he takes the first pitch right down the middle. Goldy, RA, and Yadi are locked in from the time they first step into the box. And stay locked in.

First pitch swing%:
    Goldschmidt:
    2020 – 22.9%
    2019 – 30.6%
    2018 – 26.2%
    2017 – 24.8%

Bader:
    2020 – 20.8%
    2019 – 22.9%
    2018 – 29.9%
    2017 – 32.6%

Not much difference.

First pitch strike percentage:
    Goldschmidt:
    2020 – 55.8%
    2019 – 64.7%
    2018 – 59.1%
    2017 – 58.9%

Bader:
    2020 – 60.8%
    2019 – 60.8%
    2018 – 59.5%
    2017 – 60.9%

Again, not much difference. Maybe he swings just as much as the others at the first pitch. Maybe because he isn’t liked, the mind remembers those instances of not swinging more than the other players’ instances.

Participant

Free

Jj, it makes me think of all the times I have seen a little league coach tell a kid to “concentrate” after he swung and missed. It’s like that makes up for the lack of coaching they did on the kid’s swing form.

My daughter’s high school softball coach wanted to change my daughter’s swing to only use her arms. Her coach started to believe she couldn’t hit. I told my daughter not to listen and I took her to another team’s coach. Within 15 minutes she was hitting the cover of the ball.

Participant

Free

What I say about Bader is mild compared to many fans on other Cardinal forums.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Other Cardinals forums? Good luck with bringing their “intelligence” here!

Just saw this a few minutes ago. Perfect timing…

Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a school of thought that a team should always be on the lookout to upgrade its #8 hitter.

Participant

Free

I like Jim Edmond’s description of Bader’s positioning. That he’s not that great going back on the ball because he feels uncomfortable going near the wall. So he plays deep, which means he has to come in on an average regular fly or line drive to center. What Jim didn’t say is how much he likes the roar of the crowd when he makes that unnecessary lunging catch coming in.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seven innings today vs. Miami. StL will pitch bottom of seventh regardless of score.

Waino, Ponce 2 IP each. Webb, Liberatore, Woodford 1 inning each.

Splitting up regulars in lineups with a few night games coming up. Extra rest for some after busy day yesterday.

Pablo Lopez, RHP, starts for Marlins.

KK to start Wednesday, Carlos Thursday.

Participant

Free

With a day off yesterday, wish they were playing 9 today.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is all based on pitching availability on both sides.

Participant

Free

Wow really Bccran you hatred for Bader is getting way out of hand….

Participant

Free

bc, once again, it is obvious that you can read his mind. You always know what he is thinking when he is hitting or fielding. Are you Harrison or his dad??

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years