2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

so cal – You joining the fun and jumping on the flesh pile gang up? Is that fun for you?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader didn’t get any hits today, the bum.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m starting to feel one heck of a lot of love for our new rosin juggling addition, Johan Ramon Quezada. How could a team allow this diamond in the rough to exit for merely a bag of peanuts? If this was the good ole’days where fan clubs ran rampant, I’d be starting one up for Johan…….with Euro Dandy as it’s V.P.

Participant

Free

so cal – You joining the fun and jumping on the flesh pile gang up? Is that fun for you?

It’s no fun at all, bc. I’m not challenging your opinion that it is early. Or that two in our outfield could be shaky (or might not be), and don’t justify huge confidence. Time will tell.

But statistics is a science, not a game of whack-a-mole, where every game you find one aspect of the data (three whole days’ worth) you don’t like, and use it to justify your opinions. Your opinions might very well be correct. None of us know, and we don’t have enough data to know one way or another. I can’t refute your opinions based on the data. I respect your opinions, and you might be right. But as a trained statistician, numbers are my friends, and I can’t stand on the sidelines muted while watching you torture several days of data until it confesses what you want it to say.

Yesterday you were concerned about the offense, scoring only one earned run in 15 innings. That’s not an unfair opinion, but you chose to ignore the fact that our three unearned runs against Washington had been the result of two legit singles and two legit doubles, including one by Bader, who you highly question. Was his timely double, with a man on 2nd base, with only one out, nullified in your mind by a throwing error by Washington? No cred? In response, I posted a meager, threadbare statistic that our starters had a .393 OBP after two whole days. Not to say that it will hold up, but to point out that your opinion that our starters were off to a bad start was not consistent with what little data we had at that point. Yes we only scored one run, but no, with an OBP of .393, we weren’t off to a bad start. You ignored that, and started focusing on the ratio of strikeouts, after only two games, for Bader and O’Neill. It’s fair game to look at any aspect of the game you want, just as you can look at scoring one earned run after 15 innings, but you keep on shifting the narrative every day to attempt to support your premises.

After three days, we’ve score 18 runs runs, with 23 hits, and 12 rbi, in three games. Our starters still have a very decent .389 OBP. Our total team offensive statistics are very slightly below the median in most offensive categories.

Did that have any input to revise your perception given the day before, that our offense was especially poor based on 15 innings? Should data about runs scored, that was your criteria yesterday, still be a valid criteria today? Seemingly not, because you ignored today’s 12 ER and 13 rbi, and shifted gears to point out how well our young players were doing, as a complaint against our starters, who still have a .389 OBP.

I’m exhausted but the continually shifting paradigms, day by day. It takes a lot of effort to collect data and engage with it, and it would be helpful if you could set some criteria that you would like to use to evaluate the starters and others over time, and together we will watch it unfold and see who is doing well and who is doing poorly.

I understand that Ks concern you, so together we will watch Bader, O’neill, and others (who are 3 Ks per 9 ABs currently), and see if they get better or worse.

We both want clutch hitting, good D, lots of runs, and wins. I’m exciting to watch the season unfold with you!

Participant

Free

I’m starting to feel one heck of a lot of love for our new rosin juggling addition, Johan Ramon Quezada

He seems to be a Queza Dilly.

Participant

Free

Really excited about Oviedo, Rondon, Liberatore, Thompson, and Woodford. Now if Gorman, Torres, Herrera, Walker, and Winn can just hurry up and close the gap.

Agreed. I really liked Dex as a person and player, but that contract was too long, and really handcuffed us in the OF for at least two years. Mercado wasn’t a horrible trade, but a cry for help because of a logjam of OFers ready for testing in the majors (swapping Mercado for a younger prospect that didn’t need to be on the 40). And of course we messed up on RA. Finally we can see what Lane, Williams, and others have, before the trade deadline.

I hope we learn from that mistake (length of Dex’s contract) and dont repeat with Carp. Maybe he will shine, but likely not, unless he can drive over the shift. But if not, I hope he doesn’t stand in front of our young IFers that need time for testing.

Goold used to talk about the ‘donut’ with our IF prospects. The donut hole is finally gone, and time to see what we have.

Participant

Free

So Cal – 2 good posts. Thank you.

The reason I harp on the outfield so much is because of an outfield donut hole. Brian has also referred to that hole.

At the end of every season, I do a complete spread sheet of the basic stats of our minor league players. For pitchers I do IP, Hs, Ks, Ws, ERA, WHIP, and BAA. For position players I do PAs, BA, OBP, Slg%, OPS, HRs, and SB.

All I can say is that the outfield prospects below Carlson, O’Neill,
    Bader, Thomas, and Williams are scary weak, with the possible exception of youngsters Torres and Fletcher. I look for a decent OBP, and/or some power, and/or some speed. It’s just not there. Most of those outfielders weren’t high round draft picks. When I see a 24 year old 5’ 9”, 170 lbs. guy playing at AA who has a .215 batting average, an OBP in the high .200s, with 2 home runs and 3 stolen bases for the season I shake my head. If you would like, I’d be happy to post those 2019 stats for all outfielders if you would like.

Participant

Free

I’d be happy to post those 2019 stats for all outfielders if you would like.

Yes, thanks. mlbi.com doesn’t have much, but surely there must be something online for 2019? Or maybe Brian has it for members. Eventually I will join, hopefully with a student membership to exploit my status!

Participant

Free

For those wanting encouraging news, albeit a very small sample, we are 2nd in MLB in runs scored per game!
    Runs

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had put this on the wrong thread earlier this afternoon…

Thursday night pitchers: CMart, Reyes, Cabrera all multiple innings, then Gallegos. 9 innings.

Friday Flaherty to pitch 3 pm B game at Houston because he would have seen Washington 3x this spring. 7 or 8 innings depending on Astros pitching. Gant to start in regular game against the Nats, 9 innings.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A ST lineup if there ever was one.

Participant

Free

Wow Martinez got rocked in his 2/3rd of an inning

Participant

Paid - Annual

Where CMart got hit hard, and had command issues, Reyes may emerge as a contender for a starting job. As has been said many times he has the best stuff of all pitchers. If he can continue with outings like these.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought there was a mercy rule.

Participant

Paid - Annual

When your pitchers give up 9 walks it’s going to be a long night.

Participant

Free

When your team gets 2 hits it’s going to be a long night.

Participant

Free

Outfield 1 out of 10 with 6 Ks. I know, I know, it’s just the start of ST.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to take the only positive side and that is that Reyes was great. Has he finally figured it out, or is this yet another tease?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to take the only positive side and that is that Reyes was great. Has he finally figured it out, or is this yet another tease?

I’m not sure if Reyes has ever been anything but excellent when healthy. That’s always the rub.

Participant

Free

Infield 0-13 with 5 strikeouts.

Participant

Free

Yep, Forsch. Limp wristed all around.

By the way, did you ever meet Bob Forsch?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have a lot of streaky hitters, so we can expect days like each of the last two. It will be a similar offense to 2019, in all likelihood. Middle of the pack, with elite defense and probably solid pitching.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I just got a look at the box score. We’re doomed.

Participant

Free

That would be okay, 25. Just don’t want a repeat performance of being last in the major leagues in doubles, home runs, and total bases. 28th in slugging percentage and 26th in OPS. 27th in stolen bases.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years