2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cranny can take a punch, Mudville. Cranny has kind of been the Cardinal Nation Punching Bag this off season. So much so that I’ve been tempted a time or two to lob a jab his way myself…..and I agree with most of his sentiments.

bccran
    Participant

Mudville and Pugs – Thanks for your comments. I guess some posters feel a need to vent sometimes and do it by piling on another human being. Maybe it’s group therapy. But there’s the old adage of “attack the post and not the poster” that might be a good rule for everyone to follow.
    Supported of course by the moderator.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bader 2020 K% – 32.0%
    Bader 2021 K% – 20.0%

Yep, he’s improving.

O’Neill 2020 – .173/.261/.360/.621
    O’Neill 2021 – .400/.400/.400/.800

Yep, he’s improving.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cranny has kind of been the Cardinal Nation Punching Bag this off season. So much so that I’ve been tempted a time or two to lob a jab his way myself.

LOL, time to throw in the towel if you see Pugs lobbing a jab your way.

Yep, not sure what’s more predictable. Cranny expressing his worries about the outfield, among other things….or the anti-Cranny squad coming along to shoot him down. They all get an “A” for persistence. Maybe we need Dr. Rick (Progressive commercials) to hold one of his seminars for our posters. “Guess who cares? No one.”

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My man Nooty, sleeper extraordinaire, shows up in the box score as DH, but no AB or BB, all zeros. There are other ways a PA can result in no AB, can someone tell me what his appearance consisted of?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar pinch ran for O’Neill in the final inning.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bcc= a longtime passionate Card’s fan and he’s just like the rest of us here. I read his opinions and move on. If I feel a rebuttal is necessary, I just say so not addressing him personally. Usually, I just move on. He may be right about our outfielders…. but I hope he is dead wrong. He said he would man up and eat crow if he is.

bccran
    Participant

I enjoy the sparring back and forth between 25, Forsch, etc. They’re good guys and I learn a lot from them. jj is a different story. He can be a nasty little fellow who gets personal.

Am I worried about the OF? You bet.
    Semi. But just CF and LF. Carlson should be fine. The Arenado trade made a huge difference with this ball club IMHO. We now have that badly need 2nd middle of the order bat we can rely on. We can more afford to have a very good fielding marginal offensive player in CF.
    Quite frankly, I don’t look to Bader and O’Neill to be that important in this offense. The real key to getting the runs per game average up lies with DeJong,
    Edman, and Carlson. Edman and Carlson for setting the table and DeJong providing protection for Arenado. A wild card may be Carp. If he starts hitting again and O’Neill stumbles, you can slot Edman into
    left field if he’s being productive.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wed 3/3 game: New York at St. Louis (9 Inning Game): Kwang Hyun Kim, lhp (STL) vs. Jerad Eickhoff, rhp (NYM). Series of one-inning relievers to follow. List TBA.

Thursday 3/4 night game: RHP Carlos Martínez vs. RHP Lance McCullers, Jr. (no TV)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pinch ran, jeesh. Really underutilized. Need to open that toolbox.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Several notes from today’s game:

NOgowski hitting the homer today was great to see. How could you not root hard for him to succeed.

Parsons looked good. Hit 93 mph, which is more than expected.

I would like to see more of Rondon.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc feeling better about the offense today?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, Perez has a strong arm. Maybe he can make it as a defensive short stop.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It seemed like Perez was coming around a little at the end of 2019 with the bat. Maybe he can become a slightly-below-average hitting, great defensive SS. He’s only 22 and will probably start the season at Peoria. Maybe he could earn a callup to Springfield this year and start to gain momentum.

Last 29 games in 2019 – .303/.357/.420/.777 in a little more than a quarter of his ABs for the year.

bccran
    Participant

25 – 6 out of the 7 RBIs have come from non starters.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Jones couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy Parsons is looking pretty good so far. For me, he seems to have come out of nowhere. He could turn out to be one of the real surprises of spring training. Here’s an article by Rob Rains from February, 2020:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/tommy-parsons-might-have-the-most-unique-story-of-any-player-in-cardinals-spring-training-camp/63-388070f7-4f69-4bd1-9962-78611c1bb856

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Did Perez score from first base on Mendoza’s hit?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Man, this Quezada is tall. He basically got 4 outs, including a dropped fly ball.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That could have been a nasty collision. Baker is a huge man.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rondon is continuing a very good winter campaign.

bccran
    Participant

Really excited about Oviedo, Rondon,
    Liberatore, Thompson, and Woodford.
    Now if Gorman, Torres, Herrera, Walker, and Winn can just hurry up and close the gap.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

25 – 6 out of the 7 RBIs have come from non starters.

Out starters still have a .389 OBP, or do you prefer to ignore data that doesn’t fit your narrative? I’m really curious, because you seem to be a moving target on your criticism of Cardinals offense. I mean, didn’t we score 14 runs today? Doesn’t that qualify even for a day off from complaints?

This is not a personal attack. This is a comment on how you employ or ignore statistics to make your points.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Early ST is always cycling a lot of guys into games to get a look at them. In a couple weeks or so we will see more of the regulars and get an idea of any possible opening day roster surprises. Then we can panic or salivate as the case may be.

It looks like Nooty wore the collar today. Bad Nooty.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.