2021 Rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 543 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

The walks issue needs to be figured out as well as a lefty for the pen and a lefty bat for the OF.

MLB.com just came out with an article where they said we’d be buyers at the deadline. Let’s hope so!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas quote from Hummel’s story today:

“As far as these increased spin rates, I feel like it’s mostly guys ‘juicing up’ the ball or sticking it up with some ‘gobbledygook (foreign substance).’ I don’t really do that”

Hmmm.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

May rotation to 5-23-2021:

Flaherty, CMart, Wainwright, KK, Oviedo, Gant
    Flaherty, CMart, Wainwright, KK, Gant
    Flaherty, Oviedo, Wainwright, KK, Gant
    Flaherty, CMart, Mikolas

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mikolas is out again for an extended period of time it is imperative that someone like Oviedo, Ponce, or Woodford step up and be able to give us 5 quality innings. Liberatore and Thompson aren’t ready and the trade deadline is still two months away.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad no one has stepped up from our starting pitching prospects. Oviedo seems only 1 or 2 mistakes from spinning a gem. Woodford maybe needs to pitch backwards like Waino does, and utilize his curve more. Thompson and Liberatore, while having the best pure stuff, seem immature when challenged by an umpire with a tight strike zone, and clearly need most of the year, if not all, at Memphis.

Jbrodie7
    Participant

Free

Any word on Mikolas? His MRI was last night i read…..

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad no one has stepped up from our starting pitching prospects.

I am convinced they show up having no idea what to do in a league full of hitters that can cream their upper 90s stuff if it is over the plate and won’t swing if it isn’t.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Mikolas to the 10-day IL, Fernandez up — MLBTR

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

vs CHC, 3 game home series, STL W/L 1-2

6 IP, 2 ER, GSc 57, CMart, no decision, Lost 12-3
    4 IP, 1 ER, GSc 54, Mikolas, no decision, Won 1-2
    8 IP, 0 ER, GSc 86, Wainwright, no decision, Lost 2-1
    Wainwright’s 86 GSc tops his previous 79 that lead the staff on the season. Adams 86 ties Gerrit Cole for 14th best GSc of all mlb starts this season.

6 runs support over three games wastes some good pitching by the SP’rs.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

vs CHW, 3 game road series, STL W/L 1-2

5.2 IP, 3 ER, GSc 49, KK, Loss
    Behind 2-1, one inherited runner scored after KK exited.

3.2 IP, 3 ER, GSc 30, Flaherty, Loss
    Behind 7-2, one inherited runner stranded after Flaherty exited.

5.0 IP, 0 ER, GSc 57, Gantini, Win
    Ahead 1-0, one inherited runner (error) stranded after Gant exited.

KK’s GSc of 49 is close to his season avg of 51.9
    He has received 4.9 runs per 9 of support in his starts.

Flaherty’s GSc of 30 is his second clunker of the season, but his season avg is still a 57.4
    His run support per 9 is all the way down to 8.3 in his starts.

Gants GSc of 57 brings his season GSc avg to 53.7
    Gantini’s clunker count: zero

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Flaherty, Oviedo, Wainwright, KK, off day, Gant
    Flaherty, off day, CMart, Mikolas, Waiwright, KK
    Flaherty, Gant,

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

last two times through the rotation:
    Flaherty, off day, CMart, Mikolas, Wainwright, KK
    Flaherty, Gant, CMart, Oviedo, Wainwright, KK

vs ARI D’Backs, 4 game road series, STL W/L 3-1

game 1
    6.0 IP, 3 ER, GSc 59, CMart, no decision
    pulled after 3 batters faced in the 7th, single, single, double, ahead 4-1. Cabrera inherits runners at 2nd and 3rd, both scored.

game 2
    4.1 IP, 2 ER, GSc 40, Oviedo, no decision
    pulled after 3 batters in the 5th, groundout, double, single, ahead 7-3. Woodford inherits runners at 2nd and 3rd and K’s the next two batters to end the rally.

game 3
    5 IP, 4 ER, GSc 44, Wainwright gets the Win.
    pulled after facing 3 batters in the 6th, BB, double, single, ahead 7-4. Cabrera inherits a runner at 1B and he is stranded.

game 4
    5 IP, 4 ER, GSc 33, KK’s first clunker on the season and he gets the Loss.

Our starters left a huge amount of runners on base this series for the pen to clean up. Only in game 4 did a reliever start an inning fresh without inherited runners after the SP’r exited.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance Rondon or Flores get a chance with Flahertys injury? I would rather go with youth instead of PDL or a bullpen game.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

vs LAD, 3 game road series, STL W/L 1-2

game 1
    5 IP, 2 ER, GSc 63, Flaherty, no decision
    Jack received only 4 runs support this game, half of his season avg per 9, and exited behind 2-0, after 5. In the top of the 6th our lineup put up 3 runs, giving Jack the lead as the pitcher of record, but Helsley and Cabrera turned that into behind 6-3 after 6.

game 2
    6 IP, 0 ER, GSc 65, Gant, no decision
    John goes 6 IP and is pinch-hit for in the top of the 7th. He was ahead 2-0 and in line for a win, but Gallegos gave up 2 ER in the bottom of the 7th, and like Flaherty, Gant start is erased by the pen quickly.

game 3
    CMart, GSc -3, pathetic
    I’ll stop right there and wait for the most recent CMart excuse. This one will need to be a doosey.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CMart needs to be in the pen. Limit the damage.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

This thread was a lot of fun when the starters were reeling of a dozen starts above a GSc of 50. Now we’ve been swept at home, a 4 game series at that, are 3-7 in our last 10 games, and have a starters GSc avg of 41 during that span. Even Gant threw his first clunker.

The staff overall has pitched to an ERA of 6.52 the last 10, NL avg is 4.33 RA/G
    The lineup has averaged 4.2 RS/G, NL avg this season is 4.33 currently.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wins and losses is the bottom line and we are 3-7. MLB avg would be 5-5. Mo should get a good chance to see what he’s got in house for next year. The thing with Lynn was just they didn’t think they needed to pay him what with the imaginary fat pipeline of can’t miss arms.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing with Lynn was just they didn’t think they needed to pay him what with the imaginary fat pipeline of can’t miss arms.

Interesting choice of words because they might have been concerned about Lynn being about 100lbs overweight too. It doesn’t seem to have hurt his performance though.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think the Cardinals were reluctant to offer Lynn the “big” contract because some of his numbers regressed in 2017 after TJ surgery. They didn’t want to invest in the risk of that continuing with adding Mikolas and the other apparent options available. Lynn is a big guy but I don’t remember weight hinted at as being a concern. Maybe it was though, but baseball players are fat in general compared to many other athletes.

Is/was Lynn really 100lbs overweight? Seems like a fat exaggeration to me. 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is/was Lynn really 100lbs overweight? Seems like a fat exaggeration to me. 😉

Have you seen a picture of him lately? He is making Babe Ruth look slim.

I am not saying that to bash. The guy has obviously turned himself into an elite pitcher. I guess that is the only thing that matters.

Hey it worked for Bartolo Colon too. 🙂

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I haven’t watched Lynn much lately other than maybe a highlight or two. I’ll check him out, but not sure he was that big in 2018. Overweightness/obesity doesn’t matter as much for baseball or golf as some other sports I guess, especially it seems for pitchers. Have you seen some of the ladies in the NCAA softball tournament? Amazing that they are athletes, but they aren’t trying to win sprints.

Regardless, it does seem if a player can succeed while being overweight, they probably would do even better with a fit body.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

CC Tabathia was a fatso too.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The pitching staff is currently a flaming wreck.

Outside of acquiring another arm via the trade route I’m not sure there is much to do about it.

Mikolas is probably done, Flaherty and KK will eventually be back. Gant and C-Nart – may be one or the other sticks. Wainwright is 40 – let that sink in.

Team really needs 2 more starters going into next season.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

IL:
    Hudson
    Mikolas
    Flaherty
    KK

Last time through the rotation:
    Gant
    CMart
    Wainwright
    Oviedo

We have a better rotation unavailable than who’s on the active roster.

Gant starts the rotation again with 9 games in a row. Typically the dugout brass used six SP’rs when there were no off days.

Last time through we used four, with two off days built in. Now what? KK returning? PDL or Woodford as the 5th & 6th starter?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It sounds to me like there is a decent chance that KK is activated next week.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 543 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years