2021 Rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rotation

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

After his 9/23 gift to the Royals I doubt that Carlos’s name is very high on any acquisition lists. I don’t know what injury he sustained last night but when he grabbed at his side I thought it was just a broken heart. Good luck Carlos. My only hope is that they don’t put you in the pen in’21. I am currently having my heart tested and don’t need any more stress on it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So much for CMart having any trade value. He and his $11.7M will be in St. Louis next year. Hopefully he can rebound.

It is looking less and less likely we will have much payroll space to find a big bat. Unless Wong doesn’t return.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez would need to rebound and be dealt by the deadline (2021). The next available trade after that would be the 2021-22 offseason, and that would require STL to activate his 17mil club option before free agency started, just to deal him.

Participant

Free

While I like Martinez, I am tired of the constant promise but hasn’t really delivered. I think it is time to trade him. If the Cardinals wait until after 2021, they have to pick up his option or offer him a qualifying offer to get ANYTHING in return. I’m not sure anyone would want him at the $18 million option. A team would take a flyer on him at the $11 million he will get next year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two opposing viewpoints on CMart. Which do you favor?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s sporting a 3.46 ERA, 1.295 WHIP, 8.9 K/9, 2.62 K/BB as a starter.

3.37 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, 2.45 K/BB as a reliever.

I don’t know how you can say that based on his career, he’s been better as one or the other. This year, he’s not been good as a starter. If they are going to force him into a relief role, it would have to be next year. Regardless, the only future with St Louis he could have long term would be starting. They won’t exercise the option for 2022 on a reliever.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I will never advocate for him to be a reliever but that is just me. Like 25 says the Cards might be able to justify one year at $11.7M as a reliever but certainly not $17M. They would have to decline the options and negotiate a smaller contract, which seems unlikely to me. 2021 is probably his last year in St. Louis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ben Fredrickson:

teams that see Martinez as a fit for high-leverage relief don’t have fresh evidence from this season that suggests he’s still capable of that job, and they could press pause upon learning that Martinez seemed resistant to a bullpen role earlier this season.

If the Cardinals do move forward with Martinez, and that might be their only decent option, the path forward is simple.

He must accept that he belongs in the bullpen now, where the Cardinals should have assigned him from this season’s start.

The Cards can’t/won’t trade Martinez (little value). I think that the reason he is starting has something to do with his relationship with Molina. Yadi calls many shots and Shildt can’t/won’t do anything about it.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that the reason he is starting has something to do with his relationship with Molina. Yadi calls many shots and Shildt can’t/won’t do anything about it.

It has been mentioned many times here and Brian reiterated here in this thread:

I mentioned to Danny Mac today that his situation could be like CMart last year at this time. Shildt and Maddux told him what he needed to do to get the chance to start. He then worked all winter to check off all the boxes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yadi is setting the rotation? C’mon now…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Woodford is still getting better every outing… see his last two.!
    He may not throw quite as hard as a couple of the other pitchers, but his command
    has been dead on this year… only 5 walks..!

Participant

Paid - Annual

The only Woodford I like a lot is Woodford Reserve bourbon. To me, Jake is a 5th starter at max. He doesn’t miss enough bats.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh boy…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not unexpected at all. Such is the risk involved in this circus season. See ya in 2022, Dakota.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still a lot of depth available, especially with Mikolas coming back. Still, that may make Carlos or Reyes a candidate to be back in the rotation next year.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Will Mikolas be ready at the start of 2021?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Please no more Carlos. Trade him if you can and get rid of his salary.

Flaherty
    Kim
    Waino
    Ponce
    Gomber

Backups –

Reyes
    Cabrera
    Gant
    Woodford
    Oviedo

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years