2021 Rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rotation

Viewing 18 posts - 526 through 543 (of 543 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Well waino deserved it. I read an article saying he should be considered for cy young. Considered, not winning it. I kind of agree with that sentiment. When you consider his age and the fact the team is very inconsistent in scoring runs. So I would consider at least have his name on the paper alongside others.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A bit of background. The 30 Cy Young Award voters select five names and they are scored 7-4-3-2-1. So if Wainwright is considered among the five best, he should get votes.

Based on their formula, ESPN’s Cy Young Predictor currently has Wainwright seventh.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Well, I hope they get him some help. If we assume Flaherty and Hudson are good to go we need 2 more to get to a 5 man rotation.

(Anyone who says ‘Mikolas’ should be banned.)

Then we will need a couple of spot starters to fill in when we have the inevitable injuries.

I can’t say I’m bullish on the 2022 Cardinals. LOTTA needs, lotta question marks…..

14NyquisT
    Participant

Our commander-in-chief will correct everything during the off-season. Expect the ’22 Cards to have a new look. The FO will tell us that we are going all in….. and some fans will believe HIM…. if he is still around.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

So, on top of everything else, KK is pizzed and its a good bet the Cardinals have completely wasted the last good year of Wainwright’s career.

They will now proceed to overpay him and he’ll regress next season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LeBlanc is officially done for the year. Surgery and free agency are ahead.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Was looking a “quality start” leaders and Adam is 4th in MLB with 19. Was surprised to see Alcantara on that list as 3rd with 20. Wasn’t aware that he was such a workhorse these days.

When Adam pitches, it seems to me the team just plays better offensively and defensively. I believe there is something to be said for the mood/mindset that ripples through the team when you have an efficient and effective pitcher starting the game. In just a quick look, I came up with these numbers for this season.

Cards have scored 4.46 runs per game when Adam starts. They have scored 4.06 in all other games.

Cards have given up 2 unearned runs when Adam starts. That’s one unearned run every 14 games. They have given up 42 unearned runs in all other games. That’s one unearned run every 2.6 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Misery loves company…

BigSmitty
    Participant

Free

I’ve been searching online but I can’t find the answer. Does anyone know what is the contractual details of Lester’s ‘mutual option’ for 2022?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Smitty, I don’t think there is an option on Lester for 2022. I think he’s a free agent. Cubs refused his mutual option, which allowed him to sign the 1-year $5MM deal with Nats for 2021. Cards have to cover less than 1MM of that. Cubs still owe Lester deferred money in future years, but I don’t think that impacts Lester’s status as un unrestricted free agent moving forward.

BigSmitty
    Participant

Free
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ahh, gotcha Smitty. Open Passan’s tweet in the article you linked. He provides an addendum shortly afterwards that says there is no option.

Better yet, here it is:

BigSmitty
    Participant

Free

No wonder I wasn’t able to find the info on a mutual option! Ha! Thank you for the info!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been wondering about this myself. Cot’s lists Lester with a mutual option but they aren’t always 100% correct.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/st-louis-cardinals/

Viewing 18 posts - 526 through 543 (of 543 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.