2021 Rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 543 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Because he grew up in St. Louis. Played little league ball, traveling team ball and pitched at Parkway Central High School here. Then pitched at U. of Missouri in Columbia, MO. Only 120 miles from St. Louis.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t know that bccran, thanks. Still not sure a lot of people think like that anymore though. Maybe when they first come up but later in life, people have other priorities. Has he said he was a cardinal fan.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Scherzer hasnt really ever volunteered the info that he’d love to play for the bfib etc ala mark buehrle- in fact when asked hes pretty much said he has no allegiance to the area/team.

That being said hes the type of pitcher big guys might end up not favoring and we could come out on top anyway. Regardless i get the feeling we aren’t getting any kind of hometown discount

bccran
    Participant

Scherzer has stated publicly that he’d like to pitch for the Cardinals…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I give Cards signing Scherzer a 0% probability. Less than that even.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scherzer will be 3 months shy of his 38 th birthday as the 2022 season gets underway. I don’t know what kind of contract he will ‘demand’. But I sure hope the Cardinals don’t give it to him. We’re shedding two bad contracts after this season. Please, Mo, don’t replace them with more bad contracts. Speaking of bad contracts, Andrew Miller will collect every penny of the millions promised him by Mo regardless of where he is or what he’s doing in September. His contributions to the team have been minimal. When Mikolas gets activated, I think they should DFA Andrew Miller.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Scherzer too old. Better to go after a younger Starter. Ray, Pineda, Stroman, Gausman… Flaherty, Ray?, Hudson, Kim, Waino, Reyes, Oviedo etc..If in contention come Aug then look for a Scherzer.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So what are the odds that Lester, Happ, and LeBlanc are in the Cards rotation in 2022?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happ – 13%

LeBlanc – 75%

Lester – 4%

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

If scherzer has said hed like to play for the cardinals he sure hasnt been very emphatic about lobbying for it. I have no doubt everything else equal he would like be close to home- but that implies money is equal . Ive heard dan mclaughlin imply more than once that hes inferred its a relatively unimportant factor when it comes to a contract negotiation- who knows.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I didn’t realize he was 37-38. Seems pretty risky. Will he come on a 1 year – 10 million deal like Wainwright did?

bccran
    Participant

Great question about Leblanc, Lester, and Happ. Which one would be the best fit for augmenting the 2022 rotation? A lefty if they don’t bring Kim back?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know Scherzer is from Missouri but usually sentiment doesn’t mean as much as cash. I am skeptical we will overpay to get him.

I would definitely be in favor of bringing LeBlanc back and maybe Happ too. Lester hasn’t impressed me as much. As for the bullpen I think we should strongly consider bringing back McFarland and Garcia. They have been much better than our vaunted internal options.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Scherzer were to sign with us, whatever the odds, what is the length and value of his contract? I’m thinking he’ll get an offer from some team, maybe 3 years, 100 plus million? He is getting up there in age, but has been very durable.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Scherzer will get at least 3 years/$75M on his next deal and maybe more if a bidding war breaks out. If the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, and Giants start bidding on him I don’t see Mo winning that battle.

When is the last time we signed an elite level free agent from outside the organization? It rarely happens. Mo can land the middle tier free agents (Jhonny Peralta, Dexter Fowler, Mike Leake, Greg Holland, Andrew Miller, Miles Mikolas (international), Kwang hyun-Kim (international), but not the elite free agents. To get elite level talent we usually do it by trades.

We also have to consider that we are already paying big money to Arenado and Goldy with Mikolas not too far behind. We don’t need our payroll to get too top heavy where we can’t afford to fill out the roster with quality depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our currently signed stable of pitchers includes Flaherty, Mikolas, Hudson, Oviedo, and, I guess, Poncedeleon.

In AAA, Liberatore is pretty close, but he should stay in AAA if possible given he would only be 22 years old.

I think they should definitely re-sign both Wainwright and Kim. The short-term commitment would give us much better stability given the very fragile group listed above. To me, it certainly makes sense to sign a Scherzer or a Verlander to go along with this group above. We are obviously in a win-now mode so having a rotation of FA starter, Wainwright, Flaherty, then a half a dozen unknowns is pretty crucial.

bccran
    Participant

Pads – totally agree that they should re-sign both Waino and Kim. And go hard after Scherzer. Would also sign Lester to a one year deal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happ has performed better than Lester for the Cardinals. I would take LeBlanc over Lester too.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say these two are currently our two best bullpen options.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

I can see 3 yrs for scherzer- no way someone gives him a mid 20s aav however. I just think other clubs will feel money is better spent elsewhere- including (hopefully) the cardinals. Hes a hall of famer – but i dont want him into his 40s.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No to Scherzer unless he would agree to a one year deal maybe with a mutual option for a second year. Not much chance of that happening. Happ looks like he would be okay on a one year contract. But the problem with that is that he would know that it’s his last contract, and, IMO, that takes away a player’s drive since he knows his career is coming to a close regardless of what he does. The best thing would be for Mo to trade for a pitcher that was still in his prime. The last thing I want to see is for the Cardinals to take on bad contract since, for the first time in awhile, they won’t have one on the books.

bccran
    Participant

I’d only go with Lester because of his playoff experience.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Between Wainwright, Flaherty, Hudson and Mikolas, I think the Cards brass will feel confident that any two will likely be healthy and in the rotation at all times next season. They will consider that the top of the rotation covered and will not be looking to pay another top of rotation guy, or take a chance on that kind of contract. They will look to bring in one or two work-a-day horse types to eat middle/bottom of rotation innings. Our magical list of arms can fill in around that. I am not sure what they can do about filling in the holes in the rotations at Memphis and Springfield. Besides the magical list of arms I mean.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 543 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years