2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Spring Training Game(s) Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I said Helsley, not Edman. 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of… In T6th, Nogowski’s single drives in Edman for the Cards’ third run of the day.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a great debut for Liberatore…3 hits, 3 walks, a wild pitch, and a balk. All good for 5 earned runs and a shiny spring ERA of 67.50. Ouch

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Liberatore showed a big curve that had lefties bailing out, but he was touched for five runs in the seventh on three hits, three walks, a balk and a wild pitch. The Cards had a no-hitter through six, but are now down 6-3.

Williams also didn’t throw to the correct base and got a talking-to from McGee.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena last season –

AA – .309/.422/.515/.937
    AAA – .358/.435/.593/1.028
    MLB – .300/.391/.500/.891

That’s why I liked him.
    I’m afraid they made a big mistake trading him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley was very impressive.

Participant

Free

Jim Edmonds needs to spend less time in the tabloids and more time keeping up with MLB news

I agree Brian. It was ever so obvious that he hasn’t been with it or maybe his tabloid problems overshadow his baseball activities. His statements on Saturday about not following the Astros sign stealing thing also had we wondering if he has found some rock to hide under. He did say he was not surprised and then seemed to indicate that things of that nature were common in his day but not with electronic devices like smart watches. Is Jim going to be in uniform this ST or season like he was last year?

Participant

Free

Well we are only 3 games in with only two on FS Midwest and its probably too early to see any trends but we have seen some ugly stuff – like Libertore’s game (or partial inning). I have been hearing a lot about Justin Williams here on TCN but his performance today was what I would call Forgettable both offensive and defensive. Lots of time left to get a good look at a lot of players.

Participant

Free

A Nogowski single drives in Edman for the Cards’ third run in T6th

Edman got on by out running a potential double play. Yadi I see maintains his turtle like speed.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi is a player with many skills. Speed isn’t one of them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I believe DeJong is the last regular to make his spring debut, but Goldy has yet to play in the field.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There has been no hurry to rush them into action as they all will make the team.

This is corrected from before…

Participant

Free

bccran wrote:

Yadi is a player with many skills. Speed isn’t one of them.

Very true but when a SS or 2B drops the ball 3 times, then sits down for a cup of coffee and has a large donut to boot and then gracefully wipes his mouth, puts on his glove and picks up the ball and soft tosses to the first baseman who is dozing and drops the ball once, walks over to near the dugout, picks it up and returns to 1b and the ump gives the out signal but, wait, Yadi is not yet in the picture that is slow.

Not a speed demon but over the years he has acquired a habit of judging each ball he hits and determining whether any effort is required or not to reach the base safely not giving any possibility to a dropped ball or bobbled ball or bounced ball or overthrown ball………well you get the picture. Some managers have been known to bench a player who does that but the thought nowadays is that hustling is a rookie thing. My motto: You will never embarrass yourself if you hustle. I have to keep reminding myself that the line of command is owner-gm-Yadi-Shildt. But this has become the way of the game for veterans with big paycheck.

Participant

Free

Lane Thomas took a step back in his bid for CF job. Got picked off base and an error.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mendoza’s stick barely profiles at 3rd. I don’t understand him playing first. Not here

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mendoza is a utility guy, including first. Goldy can’t play first right now. They had Nogowski start the last two games after Ravelo started the opener. I guess they could have had Baker play there.

I cannot see the harm in throwing Mendoza a starting bone – especially when it is so early in the spring that no one plays more than about half the game, anyway…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Minuteman –

I would suggest that we are dealing with a 37 year old future Hall of Fame catcher who has been squatting with those knees for a quarter century. That’s a lot of wear and tear. Probably better not to try to beat out an infield roller and pull a hammy in early Spring Training, when the results of the games are all but meaningless.

Simba – Thomas doesn’t look like a major league starting OF to me. Or even a #4. Unfortunately neither does Williams. I’m recanting on him.

Participant

Free

I posted this to the Outfield Dilemna board when my mind misfired. I repost it here for your reading enjoyment….(or not).

I guess I look at spring training as being a good looking glass at folks you may not see much of during the regular season. Some of the regulars may also be working on something like you can see Carp working on that inside out swing to get hits to left field and forget about launch angle. Other guys will tinker with their batting stance or their fielding moves (infielders). Never forget that Pete Kozma won the Spring Training battle title one season and couldn’t hit diddly squat during the regular season (until he got to the Nats in the playoffs). Sit back and enjoy. Steals, errors, bobbles, balks all contribute to the learning environment. There will not be a test on this lecture.

Participant

Free

I would suggest that we are dealing with a 37 year old future Hall of Fame catcher who has been squatting with those knees for a quarter century.

After this season, he could give those knees a lot of rest by getting into the coaching and managing ranks. BTW, he has been running that way practically since day one. He is no speed demon but when the turtle walks by it’s time to think about asking MLB to allow designated runners.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

Never forget that Pete Kozma won the Spring Training battle title one season and couldn’t hit diddly squat during the regular season (until he got to the Nats in the playoffs).

Shane Robinson had one huge spring, too.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Agree Brian but he played a lot of 1B in the minors last year as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, I missed your point. Please clarify. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3:

My motto: You will never embarrass yourself if you hustle. I have to keep reminding myself that the line of command is owner-gm-Yadi-Shildt. But this has become the way of the game for veterans with big paycheck.

Good motto. The rest is sadly true.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s tough to tell these two teams apart when watching. Gomber gives up a leadoff double to Thames.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

White vs. gray pants is about all to go on.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years