Cardinals Odds and Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Odds and Projections

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The latest.

Odds to Win the World Series
    Tampa Bay Rays 6/5
    Atlanta Braves 8/5
    Los Angeles Dodgers 7/2
    Houston Astros 40/1

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I think their odds should be worse. They have already lost Hudson for probably the whole year. Mikolas is unknown with his injury. O’Neill, Bader, Thomas and Carlson did not show enough to prove they can provide an answer to the offense. Fowler and Carpenter are another year older and provided less than league average production in 2020. Molina and Wainwright are free agents. Wong is a free agent unless they pick up his option. Payroll is tight. There’s not a lot to optimistic about in 2021.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is an interesting page to check out every now and then. Fangraphs keeps a running total of how the various teams project for the coming season by position by WAR. With the roster as it is right now, the Cards rank third in WAR in the division, eighth in the NL and 16th in MLB at 26.7 fWAR.

Worst positions are DH with a -0.2 and RF at 0.4. Best are shortstop at 3.3 and 1B at 2.9. They must be expecting a good season from DeJong.

Also interesting is that they have catcher (Knizner) at a very respectable 2.0 WAR, higher than Edman at 1.4 at second.

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Team

Participant

Does anyone ever check on their crystal ball? What were the Cardinal forecasts for last season? That would be interesting.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s accumulative fWAR by position BW. If you click the NL central / STL, they have Knizner at 1.1 and Edman at 1.7 overall. They like CMart and Gomber too. I hope Gomber gets those IP.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the clarification, 25. That makes more sense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Gomber could become a real stud. I don’t know if we’ve ever had a lefty with a curveball that rises and drops like the one Gomber throws.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZIPS basically indicates the outfield is going to continue to be a big problem in 2021, with Fowler stinking and Carlson/O’Neill bringing less value that Edman/Sosa at 2B!

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a surprising and problematical forecast for the outfield.
    Who’d have suspected it? A shock to many of us.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Fowler is going to be replacement level, I’d hope Shildt would have sense to bench him. Also, they have O’Neill as a below average fielder, which I’m pretty confident is not the case. But other than Bader, there’s not a lot good in the outfield from there. They are higher on almost every infielder than I would be, though. The catcher projection is laughable and off by 3-4 wins.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to rely on this outfield to help elevate us above that shameful #30 team ranking in HR, doubles, and total bases. Sure hope they can do that.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They’ll be playing a more normal schedule, so expect an offense more similar to 2019, bc. Middling power, solid on base skills, good on the bases. They should be around 15th-20th in runs. Pitching around 10th and defense top 5, especially if they bench Fowler. Should be around 80 wins if no Yadi, 85 with. Range of 75-90 wins.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch, 25, that’s kind of depressing for this proud and extraordinarily success franchise.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s probably a one year reset, anyway. The money coming off the books after 2021 should allow the team to reload for a championship run in 2022-24.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hoping for a short term band aid or two this off season. Like Pederson.

And just because they have a ton of money coming off the books in 2020 I don’t think they’re going to risk it on huge long term contracts to FA outsiders. Probably a Goldy/Heyward/Ozuna type trade or two. Pick up the last year or two on an existing contract, and extend if they fit in nicely.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two of those trades turned out poorly for the team (and Goldy could end up there too), so hopefully they learned their lesson and don’t trade valuable prospects for players. There’s no way they run a $100M payroll for two years without getting absolutely roasted by fans and media.

There’s almost no one I’d be interested in trading significant prospects for in arbitration right now. It would be foolish to even try. Prospects+ money or money only? Super easy call, IMO.

Participant

Paid - Annual

His opening line is exactly what I said in the payroll thread regarding the Cardinal team building model. I am hoping next winter we finally take it up a notch.

Can we just say 87 wins and call it a day? It feels like that’s what I’ve been projecting for the Cardinals for the last 15 years or so.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t mind paying big bucks for a player for a test drive. But if you don’t know him and you give him a 5 year contract (or longer) you’re taking a big risk. And Ozuna? The Cards should have extended him. He wanted to stay here. The perfect protection for Goldy.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But if you don’t know him and you give him a 5 year contract (or longer) you’re taking a big risk.

This isn’t 1975. You see almost every player at some point in a year, and scouts and other players can see how they play and what kind of teammate they are. I think the idea that you must get a player for a couple of years before it makes sense to commit to him is a good way to cost yourself wins. That’s the real risk.

Projections exist to help teams make such decisions. The Cards clearly have had some issues with theirs in the last couple of years.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“He wanted to stay here” so badly he declined the STL Q-offer and signed elsewhere for basically the same offer. Too funny.

Participant

ODDS BY Fox Bet

TEAM FUTURE
    2021 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION
    St. Louis Cardinals
    +3500

TEAM FUTURE
    2021 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION
    St. Louis Cardinals
    +1700

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just laying out BDW’s philosophy, 25 – get to know how a player plays under pressure, what kind of a teammate he is, how he interfaces with the manager and coaching staff, how he is with all the fans, and how he is within the community, does he care more about the name on the front of his uniform than the number on the back, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years