2020 Cardinals Odds and Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Odds and Projections

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That fact that 2019 is not yet done does not stop the gamblers…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Milwaukee seems very overrated and the Cards underrated there. Flipping them sounds about right. What were the Cards’ odds at the beginning of 2019?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If I remember correctly, the Cards were in the 14/1 to 16/1 range to win the World Series before last season. Adding Goldschmidt gave them a shot.

(There is a thread with that info here somewhere – if you care enough to search for it…)

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

At this point (before 2019 is done), you’re obviously betting on more unknowns, with hot stove activities being a biggie. Seems like those odds for the Cards are at least a partial hit on the confidence in the front office to do things like replace Ozuna’s offensive production in LF or generate offensive production at other positions. Maybe the odds makers believe Mo and Shildt are serious about making Carp a LFer.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Your suppositions make sense to me, Euro.

I do have one question. Has Mo or Shildt actually been quoted anywhere saying they are considering Carpenter in left field? I ask in all seriousness. I know some fans are discussing it, but a comment directly from those in the know would be very different and I’ve not seen anything from them on it. Thanks.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Good question, Brian, and I don’t know the answer. I have been thinking the discussion of Carp possibly moving to LF was based on more than random fan speculation. But sometimes we hear things enough and they end up carrying more credibility than they should. After a quick search, I didn’t seen a Mo or Shildt quote, but did see this from BenFred in response to the possibility.

BENFRED: We will find out. The Cardinals have not rolled out a campaign or anything about it. People want to know what the options are for Carpenter if he’s back, and left field is one of them. If he hits like he did this season, Carpenter at any position is not great.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When I probed, I got thumbs down, but time will tell.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know a lot about gambling but Goold’s observation here makes sense to me.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, odds always try to reflect bettor attitudes. Nothing new about that.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bettors will be jumping on the Dodgers at 12/1.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Dont understand the Colorado love. I like the Phillies better than the Cards at 25:1 because they will likely do more to improve. For the same reasons I might take a flyer on the White Sox at 50:1

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Phils already have made moves by hiring Joe Girardi and Bryan Price. The Sox’ upside is good young talent. They supposedly were in the free agent market last winter and did nothing.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cleveland wins it all in 2020. I’ll tell you one team I wouldn’t take at 50-1, let alone 8-1. And that’s our present world champions. No way they repeat.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe the current Cardinal odds reflects the amount of uncertainty with the team’s roster. At this point, I would not be willing to project the Cards as a top eight team. Two or three good offseason moves may propel them into that category.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Going back to the Carp in LF suggestion above, his throws from 3rd to 1st (even when he’s rushing) look like lob passes in the NBA.

I am sure the FO feels the pressure to figure out “what do we do with him” followed with “why did we give him that deal” but anything that involves throwing a ball farther than 60-90 feet shouldn’t be discussed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going back to the Carp in LF suggestion above, his throws from 3rd to 1st (even when he’s rushing) look like lob passes in the NBA.

I am sure the FO feels the pressure to figure out “what do we do with him” followed with “why did we give him that deal” but anything that involves throwing a ball farther than 60-90 feet shouldn’t be discussed.

Maybe Mo should lobby real hard for the DH to the NL to be implemented for 2020. lol

Seriously, it probably won’t happen until 2022 if at all.

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Even more or less standing pat as it seems the Cardinals may, so many of them underperformed at the plate last year that you have think there will be some improvement with the offense?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Even more or less standing pat as it seems the Cardinals may, so many of them underperformed at the plate last year that you have think there will be some improvement with the offense?

CArpenter has nowhere to go but up. He should be in a timeshare wherever he plays

Dejong will not improve enough to matter

Wong I could see a little regression.

Goldschmidt could rebound a bit.

Expect a regression from Edman

Fowler who knows. Should be a timeshare IMO.

Molina who knows. You get a .750 ops and you run with it.

Bader has nowhere to go but up but he has to change his approach to do it.

Team will not get to 90 wins as currently constructed on offense.

BTW I always thought Carpenter was destined for LF at some point. Maybe next year is the 1 year experiment.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did any of the analytic or betting sites have the Cardinals pegged to win the NLC in 2019? If so, there weren’t many.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At least one had the Cubs and Cards co-favorites after all the signings. Others had the top three tightly bunched.

Here is the link to the corresponding 2019 thread to this one.

https://thecardinalnation.com/forums/topic/2019-projections-thread/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

People who write prediction articles for next season before any free agents sign are working with incomplete assumptions at best. Given that, MLB’s Anthony Castrovince throws up a Hail Mary, picking the Reds to win the NL Central in 2020.

Guessing he is not heading to his place of gambling to put down a bet on it, though. If they somehow make it, you can bet he’ll be crowing about it later on.

https://www.mlb.com/news/way-too-early-mlb-division-predictions

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years