Cardinals Odds and Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Odds and Projections

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 479 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The two guys I love to hate are Carpenter and ONeil. When they are bad I can say “I told you so.” But when they are good I just say “Now can you keep it up.”

I think it is a great honor to be the selected to be one of the first two teams to play in the Field of Dreams game. I know it is probably just because of distance but still it will be a moment in Cards history.

With Brebbia now out with TJ who is the most likely to take his place in the pen?

I am really sorry to see the minor leagues out of action this season. A lot of players will miss the competition but the effect on the local communities will be incalculable. The only one I have no pity for are the parking lot owners at Hammonds Field in Springfield. $20 is a steep price to pay for parking at a minor league game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 asked:

With Brebbia now out with TJ who is the most likely to take his place in the pen?

Earlier, before the 60-man pool was announced that excludes Brebbia, I had added Alex Reyes to my projected 30 to replace Brebbia.

I then updated my roster prediction article (for members) last night to reflect Hicks staying on the IL, because I had thought he would be ready. My guess is the replacement could be between Fernandez and Cabrera. The lefty could be Cecil’s backfill if he isn’t effective.

What do others think?

Cardinals Alternate Training Site Roster Alternatives

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

I think it is a great honor to be the selected to be one of the first two teams to play in the Field of Dreams game. I know it is probably just because of distance but still it will be a moment in Cards history.

My guess is TV ratings. They already had the Chicago market so the benefit of choosing the Cubs would have been minimal. So what was the next best choice in the two Central Divisions to draw eyeballs nationally? (Unfortunately for them, they lost the original opponent, the Yankees.)

P.S. If they cared about history, the opponent would have been the Reds, as they were the other team in the 1919 World Series. But they probably want to emphasize the feel good part more than the Series allegedly being thrown.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ny, I’ll go with a 4-way tie for 1st and the Bucs in 5th. I feel like we’re throwing darts blindfolded. I do like the pitching/depth argument for the Cards, so not to wimp out on you, I’ll go:

1 StL
    2 Chi
    3 Mil
    4 Cin
    5 Pit

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll go:

1. StL
    2. Cin
    3. Mil
    4. Chi
    5. Pit

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My prediction:

St Louis 38-22
    Milwaukee 34-26
    Cincinnati 31-29
    Chicago 29-31
    Pittsburgh 23-37

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

38-22 would be a stellar .633 winning percentage. To put that into perspective, the only time since World War II that they played at that level over an entire season was in 2004 (.648). I would imagine they had multiple better 60-game bursts though. Bottom line, 38 wins would be fantastic.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the team has more talent than it’s given credit for, has an easy schedule and some of the young players will surprise folks like bccran, who thinks they’re awful.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB had an interesting article on the best (and worst) 60 game stretches in Cards history. The 1944 team had a 49-11 stretch. the 2004 team had a 47-13 stretch.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/6/24/21301532/the-cardinals-best-and-worst-60-game-stretches

bccran
    Participant

25 – I’ve always been an advocate for most young players. Right now among others I like DeJong, Edman, Carlson, Sosa, Knizner, Flaherty, Hudson, Hicks, Reyes, Cabrera, Fernandez, Helsley, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Herrera, Walker, etc. I’m just not a fan of Bader or O’Neill. That’s all.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

1) Cards
    2) Reds
    3) Flubs
    4) Brewers
    5) Pirates

The pitching depth that the Cards have in the shortened season, without guys being fully stretched out to start is the difference maker in my opinion. I think the lineup is absolutely awful and has to be addressed in the offseason, but it’s almost like a long playoff series and pitching wins, see: Washington Nationals 2019 WS champs.

Flaherty, CMart(if he’s stayed in shape), Mikolas, Hudson, Waino, Kim, Ponce, Gomber, Gant even, are all better bets than most teams 4 and 5 guys.

36 wins would be a .600 winning percentage and should get them to the playoffs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is also still a chance they will negotiate in the expanded playoffs.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Is it me or….

There is still a chance that the season won’t even get started and a bigger chance it isn’t completed. Darn this virus! C-19 has changed so many plans and life styles for nearly every American…. hermits and maybe Eskimos possibly excluded. Are Eskimos wearing masks?

bccran
    Participant

Eskimos may wear masks, but they have to pull them down a little to rub noses.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I haven’t checked the betting odds lately, but a few weeks ago, when Manfred reversed his field and said he wasn’t sure the season would be played after having said 100% it would, the oddsmakers dropped their view substantially on whether the season would be played and finished. However, that seemed to be a negotiating tactic. I haven’t seen the numbers since the agreement, but there is always the chance of a stoppage.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My prediction is:

1. Cards 34
    2. Cubs 33
    3. Reds 31
    4. Brewers 30
    5. Pirates 20

The Cubs will have the superior everyday lineup but their lack of pitching depth will hurt them a bit.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New odds from betonline.ag. What do you think of them?

St. Louis Cardinals Regular Season Props
    Paul Goldschmidt – Total BA in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under .290

Paul Goldschmidt – Total HR’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 11.5

Paul Goldschmidt – Total RBI’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 34.5

Paul DeJong – Total HR’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 11.5

Paul DeJong – Total RBI’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 32.5

Yadier Molina – Total HR’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 4.5

Yadier Molina – Total RBI’s in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 25.5

Jack Flaherty – Total Wins in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 5

Jack Flaherty – Total Strikeouts in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 81.5

Carlos Martinez – Total Wins in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 3.5

Miles Mikolas – Total Wins in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 4

Adam Wainwright – Total Wins in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 4.5

Dakota Hudson – Total Wins in the 2020 Regular Season
    Over/Under 5

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The under on Goldy’s batting average seems like an easy call.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I like the overs on starter wins, especially Flaherty at 5 and Mikolas at 4. They are slated to make 12 starts each. With the uncertainty of Martinez’ role, I would stay clear of him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it’s interesting that Flaherty and Hudson both are at 5 wins for their over/under. Oddsmakers must like Hudson.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is they look back to last season, when Hudson had a very high win count and Flaherty had fewer wins despite pitching better. My money (if I bet) would be on that randomness leveling off.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess FIP doesn’t mean as much to them as it does to the sabre crew. 😂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or maybe they just dig the ground ball!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think it’s interesting that Flaherty and Hudson both are at 5 wins for their over/under. Oddsmakers must like Hudson.

They are not the same bet, i.e., the money line is not the same. It is -115/-115 (over/under) for Flaherty and -130/+100 (over/under) for Hudson. So the odds favor Hudson even more.

14NyquisT
    Participant

DeJong = same HRs as Goldschmidt (11.5). I’d bet Goldy over – DeJong under. Flaherty would need 6.75 Ks per start. With limited IPs that might seem like an under to me. Depending on how the offense is clicking will have a big effect on W-L. Mikolas should get at least more than one win per every four starts…. so over for him. But who cares about Ws and Ls anyway.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 479 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years