Cardinals Odds and Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Odds and Projections

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

jj – Don’t understand that. Is it directed at me? Is it an insult? Please explain.

Forsch – I don’t know anything other than Mo said other names were discussed and that based upon Arozarena’s performance, the Cards were reviewing how they assess talent. I took that to mean they assessed Arozarena below several other outfielders and there were other options in the trade.
    Maybe I’m wrong. Who knows for sure.

Participant

Free

And when Mo said other names were discussed, did he say who brought up the names? Did he say what names were discussed? Did he say the Rays would have agreed to anyone other than Arozarena?

I only ask these questions because you have made it sound like we could very easily have substituted O’Neill, Bader, Williams or Thomas instead. And you have made this assertion several different times. In post #155061 of this topic you said:

After the playoffs, Mo was asked directly if he could have included another outfielder in the trade besides Arozarena. He reluctantly said yes.

I can find nothing where he said yes they could have included someone different. This source is the closest I have seen so far: Fox 2

I would think that if he had said that they could have included someone else, it would be posted all over the internet. I would love to prove you right just so we can stop all this. If you can find it, please post the source so we can all read or hear it.

Participant

I guess the assumption here is that Arozarena will have a ’21 that compares to his ’20. Is it so unbelievable that Liberatore will be more MLB productive than Randy in the long run and perhaps even this season? With Mikolas on ice, Liberatore might be the guy to bail us out. It could happen.

Participant

Free

Forsch – In my last post, I relayed what Mo said. When asked if the Rays insisted on Arozarena, he hesitated and then said other players were discussed. He then said that they are now taking a closer look at how they evaluate talent. I read that one way, and you don’t. That’s fine. It’s water over the dam anyway. Liberatore will surely be a fine addition.

Participant

Free

I’m guessing that Mo hesitated to think about how much he wanted to say about the matter and how he wanted to word it and to also ward off future questions. That’s Mo’s MO. He is very coy about personnel matters.

Participant

Free

He’s very noncommittal and vanilla, Forsch. Never wants to tip his hand or say something that could be misinterpreted.
    Makes most of his interviews pretty bland.

Participant

Free

This talk about RA is all moot. His bubble has totally burst (2021 Stats), hitting only .250 this year with a meager .500 OPS. He’s striking out a full 25% of the time, way up from last year’s 10%. His only hit this year is off an Atlanta pitcher With at 20.25 era and 3.75 WHIP. He’s had no walks, and his strike out to walk ratio is infinitely bad. I’m very thankful that Mo made the trade before Randy fell apart.

Participant

Free

Ny, I think Reyes will be the one to bail us out if Mikolas isn’t able to go. I think he’s ready.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes has thrown to 3 batters without getting injured. That’s all we can say so far. I hope he makes it to opening day in any role.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree bling. I wouldn’t count on Reyes for anything. Anything he gives us is a bonus.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s prudent to not expect too much from Reyes. The question becomes, what to do if Mikolas goes down? The Cards could slot Reyes in for 100 IP or so, or they could sign a (likely inferior) pitcher to take the 150+ you’d expect from Miles. Either is a gamble.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not like we don’t have candidates for the rotation.

Participant

Free

Blingboy –
    I call it the 5, 5, and 5. That’s five starters we have in the rotation right now, 5 guys who are in the bullpen who are capable of being good starters, and 5 pitchers in the high levels of the minors who are quite capable and will be competing for a slot in the rotation very soon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If it were me I would keep Reyes and Gant in the pen to go along with Hicks, Gallegos, Miller, Cabrera, and others. That could be a nasty pen.

If Mikolas goes down then we could have CMart and Ponce in the rotation to go along with Jack, Kim, and Waino. If Mikolas can stay healthy then either CMart or Ponce could go to the pen.

We do have several options but we also have several question marks. I would prefer to see Oviedo, Liberatore, Thompson, and Woodford to start the season in the minors or alternate camp and be ready for a callup later. It might also be a good idea for Mo to keep an eye on an addition from the outside.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB.com predicts the Cards to win the Central with no Wild Cards from the division. Also, hard to argue with the Dodgers winning it all…

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-world-series-predictions

Participant

Free

Dean in left, Carlson in center, and O’Neill in right. Does that fall under the category of prediction?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since O’Neill has been announced as the starting LEFT fielder and played no innings in right this spring, on what do you base your prediction?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

I base my prediction on needing another productive bat in the OF. Maybe O’Neill plays center and Carlson plays right, with Dean in left.

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill will be in LF and Carlson in CF.

Dean is going to split time in RF with Williams.

Participant

Free

Does Dean have the arm for RF? Just because the Cardinals announce O’Neill as the LFer doesn’t mean he will start there every game. Did anyone predict that Edman would play some OF?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are there odds anywhere on these guys playing these positions? Feels like this thread has yet again been polluted with the same old stuff that we’ve gone over in 50 other threads before. Maybe we need a “bccran talks the outfield” thread and a moratorium in the other threads…

Participant

Free

That’s not very nice, 25, and out of character for you.

I’m not “picking” on the outfield. I see a team that has struggled to score runs for the past several years. Going into 2021, I’m not worried about Goldy, NA, Yadi, or Edman. I’m not worried about the rotation because of the depth, and sure not worried about the bullpen. I am worried about the DeJong and the outfield. This team came in 29th in OPS in 2021 ST. They came in 26th in OPS in the 2020 shortened season. They came in last in the major leagues in OPS in 2019. If worrying about it is “pollution” as you uncharacteristically call it,
    then I guess my worry and opinion is “pollution”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Dean have the arm for RF? Just because the Cardinals announce O’Neill as the LFer doesn’t mean he will start there every game. Did anyone predict that Edman would play some OF?

This was from Derrick Goold’s chat from Monday. I assume he was referring to RF.

Mar 29, 2021 12:10 PM
    Derrick will Justin Williams and Austin Dean platoon or is it less simple than that?

Mar 29, 2021 12:11 PM
    It won’t be a straight platoon. But it will be close to it. There will be some deference played to defense and type of pitcher as well. That indicates that Dean will get some starts against righthanders that, say, he matches up favorably against.

Derrick Goold

Participant

Free

25 – Do we need a bccran “talks the offense” thread since in 2019 and 2020 we came in way down the list in many team offensive categories? And the same now in 2021 ST? Or will that be polluting this thread. Perhaps polluting it with transparent reality?

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years