2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt it’s about cost savings. Anyone have a ballpark figure on what teams would save if they only sign 5 players this year as opposed to 40+?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I shared in this article, MLB is estimated to spend about $400 MM on the draft annually.

Considerations in Canceling the 2020 MLB Amateur Draft

Slot bonuses for first five rounds totaled about $240 MM last year, so my 2020 savings estimate across MLB is roughly $160 MM. (Assuming the rumor that slot values will not increase this year, but be held flat.) But that does not count the time value of deferring 90 percent of the 2020 signing bonus payments into 2021 and 2022.

So in total, the 30 MLB teams might spend just $24 MM (10%) on the draft this year compared to $400 MM last – rough math. But they would also be on the hook for an extra $108 MM (45%) in each of the following two years. My assumption is they will never go back to 40 rounds so will spend at least that much less in the out years, anyway.

(If the rumor that any other signings this year will be capped at $10K, those amounts would be rounding errors.)

Very interesting they are guaranteeing the MLB players $170 MM in salary advances. Probably just a coincidence…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What I think I see happening with this is that the competition to card-carrying union baseball players is gradually being subdued. With less players drafted and less players in the minors, the MLB players that are borderline keepers, have a little less pressure from the up and comers simply because there are fewer up and comers. This is similar to what happened last year when the number of minor league players that are allowed to be called up in September was reduced. I’m not saying that the other reasons for limiting the draft aren’t valid. I’m just saying that I think there is also an agenda by the union to bring about a little extra job security for their members whenever possible. Where this might ultimately lead is to be determined.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The final details appear to be slightly different, but the concept is the same – limit the money paid this year and defer the rest to 2021 and 2022.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Collected my thoughts here:

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that eventually we will get to a point where a minor league player will not be allowed to be called up unless the major league team can prove to the MLBPA
    that there is a clear need for that player. In the case of a minor league player who is putting up elite stats, the major league club will be allowed to bring that player up, but it will have to compensate the MLBPA in some way. I’d be willing to bet that there is something in the next Basic Agreement that takes another, seemingly innocuous, step in that direction.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

New draft stuff is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of what a freeking joke!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t agree…I think it is appropriate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not surprisingly, Boras does not like it. Fewer draft picks mean less money spent on player bonuses. And it also means less agent commissions, but he leaves that part out.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28965447/agent-scott-boras-says-mlb-draft-limits-send-wrong-message

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I bet all 30 owners feel sorry for Scott that he is going to have reduced income this year.

GameCard
    Participant

Free
    GameCard
    Participant

Free
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

How’s the pitching depth in this draft? It appears we may go pitching heavy again.

Thought we’d go for a Minf in the early rounds.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If only Detmers could fall to us. He went to high school at my alma mater, and that of Jayson Werth Just saw Jaysons dad at a Local restaurant Very doubtful though.

GameCard
    Participant

Free
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

Brian…is it set in stone that the Draft will be 5 rds?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The agreement is that the commissioner is allowed to decide, but it can be no fewer than five rounds. Most assume the owners will go the minimum spend route. Jeff Passan thinks the length will depend on how soon the revenue starts flowing again.

“MLB has the right to move the 2020 MLB draft back from June 10 to as late as July 20, with a signing date as late as Aug. 1. A concrete date hasn’t been set yet. The rounds have been reduced from 40 to as few as five, though Manfred has the option to increase that number at his discretion — and might do so if games are being played and revenue is coming in. MLB also can shorten the 2021 draft to as few as 20 rounds and move it to the same dates.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28964249/what-mlb-deal-players-means-2020-season-beyond

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This could fit in three different threads. BA got scouts, farm directors and the like to speak without attribution on the changes to the draft and the minor leagues.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/major-changes-anonymous-industry-sources-dish-on-minor-league-mlb-draft-restructuring/

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Does it say any more than I can read? BA does not let you read without a subscription.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I did not notice it is a subscriber article. There are about 20 different people quoted. There is not one summary. Some like what is being done and others do not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My understanding is that if a person is not working he can collect unemployment, plus the Federal Government is adding another $600 on top of whatever unemployment pays. I personally know some workers who are collecting over $900/week ($300+ from unemployment plus another $600 from the Feds). This is part of the stimulus package which I presume is necessary in order to keep the economy of the entire world from tanking and all of us from starving to death.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

At yesterday’s Coronavirus TF press conference Trump mentioned possibly reinstating a previously allowed deduction for business meals. He didn’t mention sports tickets but it would seem to follow.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Per CBSSports…
    team logo Cardinals
    Pick: RHP Carmen Mlodzinski, South Carolina ($3,132,300 slot value)

Had the season not be shut down, Mlodzinski might have found himself in the top 10. He wowed against elite competition in the wood bat Cape Cod League last summer and allowed only eight earned runs with 22 strikeouts in 25 1/3 innings this spring. Mlodzinski does it with an upper-90s fastball and a good slider, and he’s very athletic with a good delivery. In the back half of the first round, he’d be great value no matter where he lands. The Cardinals scoop him up in our mock draft.

This would make me happy as I am a Gamecock and Cardinal fan.

GameCard
    Participant

Free
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years