2019 draft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is how the Cardinals’ picks tentatively stack up.

Round Overall
    1 19
    2 58
    2CB 78 to AZ Goldy
    3 96
    4 126

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA posted its first mock (for subscribers) and has St. Louis taking 6-foot-6 lefty Nick Lodolo of TCU.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a reminder that the college season opener is today. The Cardinals amateur scouts head into their busiest season with less than four months until draft day.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My former Scout compadre Jeff Ellis has posted his first mock, with the Cards taking Greg Jones, SS, UNC Wilmington in the first, with a high school third baseman as a sleeper pick. I would be amazed if the Cards took another prep third baseman in the first round.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’d say the Cardinals only take a third baseman if they are certain Elehuris and Gorman won’t make it at 3B. I think the Cards go with a pitcher in the 1st this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It would be a good move to get Lodolo if he is still available at #19.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“It would be a good move to get Lodolo if he is still available at #19.”

I confess my ignorance of college baseball, Ny. What makes you like Lodolo so? (To me all of the numbers just look kinda okay, at a glance. Strikeouts, walks, homers, ERA, all good not great.) Thanks for any insights!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wouldn’t Kimbrel and Keuchel affect this order? (Assuming they sign relatively soon)

dac8b9
    Participant

I’d say the Cardinals only take a third baseman if they are certain Elehuris and Gorman won’t make it at 3B. I think the Cards go with a pitcher in the 1st this year

I’ve read that this will be a bad first round for pitchers, as there seems to be a lot more high end position players than pitchers. Frankly, I’d rather the Cardinals go with whomever is highest on their board rather than reaching for need, unless the difference in talent is marginal. What if they had drafted for need and took a pitcher instead of taking Gorman last year? With so many good hitters in the first round, choosing the best available pitcher might mean taking a lesser player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I hope they don’t reach and have no reason to suspect they would. However, if everything is relatively equal when they pick, I hope they lean toward pitching, too.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Put me on the Lodolo bandwagon as there’s loads of upside to this young southpaw. Tall drink of water who can bring the mustard….and is very teachable. Lodolo…..I love him at #19 if he’s still on the board.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see a mock draft having the Cardinals taking pitcher Carter Stewart. Since he was drafted by Braves last year, he had a wrist injury, and transferred to a JUCO. If healthy, he would be a very good pick.

We are not very far away from the draft, and a penalty free International crop of players available in July.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d rather go for the best available player rather than a pitcher who winds up being a back of the rotation guy, or a middle relief guy. There’s usually a player lower in the draft that can do that. Besides, I don’t agree that our pitching pipeline is as bad as some say it is. We have Reyes, Gomber, Helsley, Ponce de Leon, and Woodford waiting for a chance. We have Oviedo, Gingery, Roberts, Cabrera who we expect to be very good pitchers, and any of them could become a top pitcher. I don’t think anybody has given up on Kruczynski yet. We have pitchers with potential at every level. This draft is supposed to be not very good for pitching talent.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You can never have too much pitching.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville wrote:

“This draft is supposed to be not very good for pitching talent.”

Had to fathom all the good pitchers will be gone by pick no. 19.

There is a lot of data out there suggesting the Cards pitching is not in great shape down in the system. Some folks are being lulled to sleep by the recent pitchers who were called up and did well. That flow is drying up.

Every system always has a bunch of names of guys with potential.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I’d say the Cardinals only take a third baseman if they are certain Elehuris and Gorman won’t make it at 3B. I think the Cards go with a pitcher in the 1st this year

The best bat available in the draft this year is probably a 3B

Kody Hoese of Tulane:
    .407/.493/.860 – 15 doubles, 21 HR – 26 walks, 18 strikeouts – 4 errors, .959 fielding %.

He not only has more walks than strikeouts, HE HAS MORE HOME RUNS THAN STRIKEOUTS

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I’ve read that this will be a bad first round for pitchers

First round, yes, but as mentioned, Carter Stewart is available again, though reportedly his velocity has dropped and they’ve skipped two of his starts, indicating injury concerns might be valid.

The best pitcher in the draft might be a pitcher not projected to go in the first two rounds, because he is a redshirt junior:

Ethan Small of Mississippi State:
    2.04 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 114 K, 17 BB, 66 IP

He would be the top college pitcher off the board if he hadn’t missed a year due to injury. He’s putting up better numbers than Lodolo and Zack Thompson

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t get the point about Hoese. If he is the best hitter in the draft and first round pitching is weak, he will be long gone by the 19th pick.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I could see Kody Hoese lasting for awhile in the draft. Hoese has never done anything until this year.

Hoese may be another Tulane optical illusion, not unlike Mike Ferris whom the Cards drafted instead of Dustin Pedroia back in 2004. That one left a mark. (On me anyway.)

I want a guy with a less suspicious track record, whether it’s a hitter or pitcher. What can you tell us, 2016, about that Small guy?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stewart had a wrist injury, which is why Atlanta offered him approximately 40% of slot value, which is just enough to get a compensatory pick for him not signing. His numbers are very good, but not sure of JUCO competition level.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not a big fan of mock drafts, because unless the writer has some kind of in with each team, they are just wild guesses, and almost certainly will end up being wrong. Still, my old friend from Scout, Jeff Ellis, has his most recent mock posted. He has the Cards taking a Florida prep third baseman with a Georgia prep SS as a sleeper.

Take a look if you can deal with a page that may be even slower to load than the Post-Dispatch.

https://247sports.com/mlb/scouting/ContentGallery/2019-MLB-Mock-Draft-20–131133657/#131133657_17

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The page actually loaded pretty quickly for me on mobile. I’m looking forward to the draft, as it’s always cool to see the fresh infusion of talent that the Cards will get. Combined with the international money being reloaded and it should be a good time for the farm.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

When I look at baseball mocks I usually look about 5-10 slots on either side. Really hard to guess who is going to be available or who the team likes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years