2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

This topic contains 176 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinal in France 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well edman is a solid player. time will tell if he is an every day major leaguer. two thirds of one season doesn’t make a career.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Give me 8 Tommy Edmans and I’ll show you a WS winner. Give me 8 Paul DeJongs and I’ll show you a .500 ball club at best. And I love Paulie.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982willie said:

” the only big time free agent they have gone after was Stanton and with his strikeouts, he wasn’t a good option anyway. plus I think they knew he wouldn’t sign with the team no matter what, so they offered that as a way to show fans they were trying.”

No, that wasn’t the case at all. It was a trade, not a free agent signing. No way would the Cards have gone through all that effort to work out all the deals of a trade with Miami, just for window dressing. In fact, being rejected by Stanton was a big negative for St. Louis’image. Who would go through that on purpose?

They turned around and acquired Ozuna instead. That was not window dressing, either.

Bad facts and bad theory.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Without Edman, we don’t make the playoffs or win the Central…he was far more than just a solid player in 2019.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO Hudson is the one player that needs to repeat his ’19 performance. Having him #2 in the rotation is a necessity. The #3 spot is open and it would be great to have Reyes finally pay off and fill that slot. I’m not counting on CMartinez to be an effective starter anymore.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino plans to return for 2020.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is good news. Not a bad #4 or #5 starter.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Waino earned another season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Several Edman-related comments today:

Mo: “I don’t know if I’d say start every day, but I think he’ll get a lot of playing opportunity.”

Girsch: “He’s capable of playing shortstop. I think that’s something that we’ll explore more in spring training, and make sure everyone is comfortable with him there, and I suspect you’ll see at short some next year.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-as-cardinals-look-to-improve-offense-could-edman-get/article_823def50-a1e6-5930-834b-d9f9e16b7835.html

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did Mo say “super sub”…? 😁😂😂

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I expected him to eventually play some at SS. He will play wherever there is a place in the line-up on a given day. If he continues to produce offensively he will likely be in the line-up around 155 games. I really like that he and Dylan Carlson are switch hitters and are multiple positional defensively. Carlson can play likely all 3 OF positions. Really gives Shildt a lot of flexibility.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cou

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Wouldn’t it be nice if they all would play on incentive contracts. Waino is proof that they work and you get what you deserve based on performance. I know it would never fly MLB wide but one can dream. If they did, Carpenter would be out with a monkey and a tin cup about now.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Edman is highly unlikely in the plan to play 155 games or Mo would have called him an every day player – which he specifically did not.

The prototype to which Edman has often been compared is Ben Zobrist. In his first three years with the Cubs (excluding 2019 when he was out due to divorce), he averaged 138 games. That is a much more realistic projection for Edman. I’ll guess 140 – but that assumes he plays short (and they actually give DeJong more rest).

On that point, mote that Girsch said they have to get comfortable with Edman at SS before playing him there. In other words, the reason they did not play him there in 2019 was because they were not yet comfortable (like I said). Hopefully for him, he will show them what they want to see and give them more flexibility.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Based on 2019 Edman will rarely sit and like Girsch said Edman has always played SS and there is no reason to think he forgot how.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We go in circles. No one said (or even suggested) that Edman does not know how to play SS. The issue is that the guy who writes the lineup (who is not Girsch) was not yet comfortable playing him there. You asserted that Edman is the backup SS. That is clearly not (yet) the case. Later it might be – or it might not.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll say that Edman plays 110-120 games. We’ve seen this show before and until the Cards produce a guy in this mold that can adjust quickly once the league adjusts to him, I’m going to assume he will struggle. It’d be nice to have him be a .300 hitter with an .850 OPS but that seems unrealistic given his minors numbers. He seems like a smart guy though so maybe he can keep the numbers up.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

No…it is not clear that in the future he is not the back-up SS. I would say the Cardinals want him to be and Spring training will determine that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GC, please re-read my last post.

“You asserted that Edman is the backup SS. That is clearly not (yet) the case. Later it might be – or it might not.”

We do agree that spring training will answer the question.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The bottom line is I think more highly of Tommy Edman as a player than you do.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GC, you and I approach this from different places. I don’t write about my personal preferences or what I might “hope” will happen. That is just another opinion in a place already full of them. Instead, I try to assess, based on available information, including from my own contacts, what I believe the Cardinals will actually do. I try very hard not to have biases or favorites, because I am a reporter, not a fan. I post using my real name and have a real reputation, so credibility is important to me.

P.S. I certainly have no issue with you being a backer of Edman, but I took exception when you misrepresented the current situation.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My name is Claude Brown and I am 70 yrs. old and have watched or listened to the Cardinals all my life. I also live in South Carolina. I have coached, played & watched baseball all of my life. I just say things based on what I see in games and what I saw of Tommy Edman in 2019 was that he made a difference between the Cardinals winning or losing. The Cardinals would not have won the Central without him.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals also would not have won the division without Flaherty or Molina or Wong or Wieters or Bader or Goldschmidt or Ozuna or Hicks or CMart or Hudson or Wainwright, etc. To present Edman in a way that makes it look like Edman was the only reason they won the division just doesn’t seem right to me. He is not THAT good of a player. He is good but he hasn’t even won the starting assignment at any 1 position. If Carpenter, DeJong, Wong, Bader and Arozarena or O’Neill come out and hit like they are capable next year, I am not sure Edman will play as regularly as you have stated. The ONLY position that he seems lined up to start at for the Cardinals is 3B. Shildt seems to favor starting Carpenter there if Carpenter is hitting.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Tommy Edman was not on the roster at the beginning of the season. IMO if Edman had not joined the team on June 8 the Cardinals would not have won the Central.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Once again, Edman was just 1 piece of the team. If you take away any 1 of the players I mentioned above, they don’t win the division. They all contributed in some way or another. Flaherty was their ace in the 2nd half. Hicks was the closer in the first half. CMart was the closer in the 2nd half. Goldschmidt was valuable for both his bat and his defense. Bader’s defense made a huge difference. Hudson and Wainwright provided many quality starts. Wong’s defense and improved hitting helped a lot. DeJong’s bat in the first month pretty much carried the team. Edman would not have made a difference if all the others hadn’t done their part, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 177 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years