2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals line-up & rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<14 wrote: Mozeliak can right all of his wrongs by getting Rendon for this team. Get him at any cost.>

You are aware that the Nats have reportedly offered him between 210 and 215 or 7 years. Do you honestly believe he is worth shelling out 30 million dollars for the next 7 years? Baseball really needs a salary cap before it winds up in pure chaos on salaries while it insists the minors are nothing more than water boys.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

ED, thanks for those stats (even a non-stat guy like me can appreciate their historical significance). For me it shows a ball player who is improving. Don’t be deceived by the K and BB rate increases. That can almost always be attributed to better pitching as one goes up the ladder. I predict he will improve both but even what he has had in his short MLB career are not bad. Perhaps most impressive to me is that Edman is one of the few rookies I have seen lately that comes to the majors and does not make a fool of himself on the first couple of plate appearances. This guy has a lot of potential and I hope he sticks with the Cardinals.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you are going to make out a 2020 lineup… include Edman somewhere, period.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The biggest thing Edman has going for him over Grichuk and Bader is that he is a switch hitter, therefore isn’t as vulnerable to the low and away slider from a RH pitcher, which Grichuk and Bader couldn’t hit if their lives depended on it. DeJong can’t either and Goldy and Ozuna couldn’t either this past year.

If I were a pitching coach of a team about to face the Cardinals I would instruct my pitcher to throw low and away sliders at least 90% of the time. A three game sweep would be almost guaranteed.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

If I was the Cardinals hitting coach I would tell the hitters not to swing at them…most are not strikes. A 3 game sweep by the Cardinals would be almost guaranteed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish you were our hitting coach then.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Anne Rogers on Tommy Edman playing SS
    Tommy Edman was primarily a second baseman with some history at shortstop when he was with Triple-A Memphis at the beginning of last year, but he has logged more games at shortstop (234) than second (82) in his Minors career. We never really received a clear answer as to why Edman didn’t play shortstop in the Majors this season; he played almost every other position, despite playing in the outfield just twice before his callup.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

This is why I don’t understand why some think he isn’t an option as Dejong back-up at SS because he is.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I am pretty sure that no one has said that he isn’t an OPTION to back-up DeJong at SS. What IS being said is that in 2019 he WASN’T the back-up and the primary back-up is still on the team, Munoz. Therefore, until proven otherwise, Munoz is the primary back-up at SS.

Shildt has chosen that Edman is not the primary back-up at SS and he is only one who matters.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I heard you mention Edman’s range at SS being not great. He must be bad going to his right? It’s confusing as he’s got great speed and a good arm even at 3B. I wonder what the actual issue is?

Also, from your Danny Mac interview…I wouldn’t be sad at all if Muñoz goes. He has the plate discipline of Tyler O’Neill without the power or defensive potential.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Paul DeJong played in 159 games so he rarely needed a back-up…Munoz was on the roster so he had to play sometime and Edman was playing somewhere else. Edman is more than capable at SS.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Munoz can also play 3B, 2B and OF. IF a manager was going to put someone in at SS and he has a choice between 2 players, he will choose the better defensive SS at SS.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman is better than Munoz at everything.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(Thanking myself for bowing out of this futility exercise several days ago.)

forsch31
    Participant

Free

GameCard

Edman is better than Munoz at everything.

Which is why Shildt chose to start Munoz over Edman at SS. I think I understand, now. You must be implying that Shildt is a bad manager.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Stop it…Dejong didn’t need a back-up. He started almost all of the time.

skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

I have MCarp, Bader and Fowler all batting 8th in my initial 2020 lineup.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Hopefully, Carp and Fowler won’t be the lineup on a regular basis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dejong didn’t need a back-up. He started almost all of the time.

Actually DeJong did need a backup. Shildt just mistakenly chose to never give him any rest. I am hoping he doesn’t repeat that mistake in 2020.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I meant he played all the time so he didn’t need to play SS. DeJong probably should have taken a few more days off.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

DeJong fell apart in Avg/obp/k’s/looking like he can hit a major league pitcher the last 5/6ths of the season. What the heck happened?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong fell apart in Avg/obp/k’s/looking like he can hit a major league pitcher the last 5/6ths of the season. What the heck happened?

Tired, over rated, over exposed, figured out by the league, or all of the above?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll go with tired. You could see it in his defense, even. Those mental gaffes that cost us two games against Pittsburgh and San Francisco looked like a guy who needed a day off but couldn’t get one because the manager had no other usable option.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’ll go with tired.

I am hoping this is it more than anything else. It seems ridiculous PDJ didn’t get more rest. I get that Shildt didn’t trust Muñoz for a lot of relief, but at some point something has to give. And as multi-dimensional as Shildt viewed Edman, why not try him a game or two at SS on the days he started in RF. He certainly had other OF options. If the roster is similar next year, hopefully Shildt re-thinks this one.

1982 willie
    Participant

well to me the cardinals should either sign cole or rendon. the money shouldn’t matter cause the cardinals are making more than enough of that. I personally would probably go after rendon since our offense is starved for consistent at bats, at least good consistentcy. but I wouldn’t mind having another great strike out guy on the mound. would give us some time to figure out who can hit and make adjustments. I don’t see either happening cause our front office wont do its job in free agency. the only big time free agent they have gone after was Stanton and with his strikeouts, he wasn’t a good option anyway. plus I think they knew he wouldn’t sign with the team no matter what, so they offered that as a way to show fans they were trying.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.