2019 draft

This topic contains 227 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 228 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking Thompson should end up on the Palm Beach roster, while Locey would be a good fit in the Peoria bullpen. Even better if both pitched for Peoria. Then next year they would begin as starters.

In fact there are several pitchers drafted that could move fast as relievers. The lefty with the wicked slider, Thomas, could move along faster as a reliever, and may tick up a few mphs into the low 90’s. In fact he reminds me a little bit of Tyler Johnson, who I had higher hopes of as a LOOGY. But, as I recall he was a valuable member of the 2006 bullpen.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that the Cards have taken no infielders at all in the first 22 rounds.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking the same thing before I saw your post, stlcard25. Munoz is earning his keep. But besides Edman, and possibly, hopefully, Delvin Perez, there isn’t a middle infielder anywhere on any of the full season teams that stand out. Yet, they didn’t draft any middle infielders. Maybe they forgot…..

Flores must have been really busy with his camera and his measuring devices getting ready for this draft. We’re getting a boatload of ‘projectable’ pitchers. Even our first two picks are based more on promise than on track record.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At first glance, it appears most of the pitchers they drafted are signable. Assuming Thompson goes for slot value, and Locey might take a little over slot value. Late in the draft they took a few plan B’s. Plan B would be in case they end up with extra money to entice one of the top college commitees, or if a kid changes his mind and goes pro.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking to next year, and assuming Ozuna gets a QO, wouldn’t it be possible for them to get Competitive Balance A, and Ozuna comp pick, both after the first round? Potenitally having 3 picks in the top 40+. I seem to remember every other year, the Cards getting a CBA, and then a CBB the following year. Granted that is not assured,

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C27, I believe with the current CBA, the Cards get a pick after the second round if Ozuna leaves. Teams that get revenue sharing get picks after the first and teams that pay luxury tax after the 4th. This quote is from 2017 regarding the Cards:

If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player’s contract doesn’t matter in this case. The 12 clubs that fall into this category are the Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are overloaded with low-level OFs and the infield is still somewhat barren. One 2B drafted Rd.32 – Three SSs in rounds 34-39-40 and one 3B Rd.23.

OFs at EST. to be considered for spots:
    #s are from Community list.
    Machado #45 rehab
    Del Rio rehab
    Espinal #83
    Torres #22
    Fuller #79
    Luna
    Sancez
    AnWarner #76
    Woodall #82
    DeLosSantos #35
    VGarcia #46
    WJimenez #56
    Selmo #85
    Soler #55
    ACruz
    Montano

2019 Draftees

Rd.2 Fletcher
    Rd.9 Lott
    Rd.12 Romeri
    Rd.13 Jew
    Rd.15 Vinsky
    Rd.37 Newell

That’s 22 names that I can see and there is pretty good coverage at Peoria and Palm Beach. So that’s roughly 7 per short-season teams.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding middle infielders for this draft ….
    #32 is an outfielder who was trying to learn 2B
    #34 can’t hit
    #39 is unsignable
    #40 is the 1205th overall selection

I hope someone asks MO and Girsch and Flores for an explanation. Could it be that they were going for best available pitcher first, then best available on their board with no middle infielders being best available for the whole draft? Or, are they highly optimistic about some of the middle infielders playing for them in the Dominican Republic?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From the ’18 short-season hanger-ons of middle infield players available are:
    Diaz
    Figuera
    Figueroa
    Flores
    DWilliams
    Trosclair?
    Sabino-rehab

The players from DSL who were at EST:
    PGomez
    FHernandez
    RMendoza #71 TCN Comm.
    MCastillo
    Del Villar
    ROzuna
    YRosario
    FSoto
    KVargas

Add in Mudville’s comments of the Draftees, and we better hope that the ’18 DSLers have some real talent.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Could it be that they were going for best available pitcher first, then best available on their board with no middle infielders being best available for the whole draft?

Nope. Mo said they focused on pitchers that would get to the majors early in the draft. They were drafting for NEED. They’ve also stated in the past that they target positions.

It is a fallacy that you always draft best player available, especially for the Cardinals.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Color me not impressed by this draft.Not at all.I hope I am surprised and there ends up being several guys who can be some kind of impact players although it looks like the FO throwing a bunch at the wall and hoping something sticks.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nope. Mo said they focused on pitchers that would get to the majors early in the draft. They were drafting for NEED. They’ve also stated in the past that they target positions.

It is a fallacy that you always draft best player available, especially for the Cardinals.

Yep. The pitching has been so bad through the system that their hand was almost forced.

Also, nice to see you here, C2016. It’s been a while.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An underrated pick in my opinion is the third round pick Locey. He is said to have a mid nineties fastball, and slider. If he fails as a starter he could make a lethal weapon throwing near triple digits.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was curious that Cards paid little attention to drafting infielders. But there may be an explanation when they start signing international prospects in JUly. Maybe they are targeting infielders from the islands? Also, They likely will have 2 more picks in next years draft.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I was informed last night by someone familiar with Pages (6th round catcher) that he has Molina potential. We can only hope!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That may have come from Pages’ own comments after being selected. He talked about Molina having always been his role model.

http://fauowlaccess.com/in-the-cards/13544/2019/06/04/

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Checked how BA and MLB ranked our draftees.

We had 15 draftees who were ranked in Baseball America’s top 500 and 5 ranked in MLB’s top 200. 413 of the BA top 500 were drafted. The Cardinal’s 15 were 3.6% of players drafted vs a 3.3 average for all teams. 8 teams had more than 15 draftees ranked.

The Diamondbacks who had 5 first day picks ended up with a MLB leading 25. Followed by the Rangers (21) and Yankees (20).

Unfortunately 4 of the ranked players are high school seniors with minimal chance of signing (drafted after 24 rounds). The Cardinals will probably have to go above slot for Fletcher and maybe Thompson. So I suspect that there will be little money saved with the top 10 choices (one unranked) for the big splash to lure the four from college commitments.

Following is a list of ranked draftees with the overall selection rank followed by the BA ranking and MLB ranking if any.

Player – #selected – BA rank – MLB rank
    Thompson – 19 – 11 – 14
    Fletcher – 58 – 64 – 87
    Locey – 96 – 196 – 105
    Pallante – 125 – 157 – 135
    Thomas – 155 – 360
    Pages – 185 – 368
    Ralston – 215 – 201
    Gragg – 245 – 404
    Lott – 275 – 352
    Lunn – 335 – 306
    Jew – 395 – 326
    McFarlane – 755 – 186 – 115
    Newell – 1115 – 85 – 96
    Byrne – 1145 – 413
    McKenzie – 1175 – 492

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have their draft pick pitching for UCLA tonight ESPN 2. Ralston

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m not sure if anyone has posted this, but unlike most college catchers, Pedro Pages actually calls his own game. He doesn’t have to look into the dugout and get the signals from the head coach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good research, Sooner. Thank you for sharing it. I think any of the guys who were selected substantially before their ranking are possible sources of cost savings. Will it be enough to get any of the later guys? We shall have to see.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that the Card’s draft crew did their homework with the 3rd round pick of Tony Locey (6′-3″ at 20 years old). He just may outproduce Thompson. I’m thinking that Docey’s name will be coming up often enough in the years to come, hopefully staying in our organization.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

24th Round Pick Will Guay and 10th Round Pick Jake Sommers have agreed to terms.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting for these draftees that sign as to how they fit in the top 40 prospects. I woiuld guess Thompson start in at # 2 behind Gorman. Fletcher is more difficult ton predict, but his high draft status should get tim in the top 10, and Locey could be somewhere around Roberts in the 10-15 range.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 228 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years