2019 draft

This topic contains 216 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Avatar mudville 2 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Quick mobile load for me as well

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

My uneducated guess is that they’ll take the best LH college pitcher available at #19.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This mock draft by Jeff Ellis has only 4 pitchers going out of the first 19 picks. That kind of tells you that there are not a lot of good pitchers available this year. I still think the Cardinals should take the best available player unless they think they’ve found a high pitcher with a high ceiling available at 19.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Next season we’ll be picking 30th.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In recent years I’ve always thought that they should target left handed pitching and power hitting prospects. This year, I hope they scour the country looking for lefty gems. I also wonder what international pitching prospects there are come July?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmmmm, I am curious where Gorman was ranked last year?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gorman was 12th on MLB’s final list.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=draft

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking back to 2018 this is why I was begging the Cardinals to draft this former Hog, but of course they passed on him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Keith Law’s mock (ESPN subscribers)

19. St Louis – Gunnar Henderson, SS, John T. Morgan Academy (Selma, AL)

They’re also one of a few teams in on two-sport star Maurice Hampton, which would fit with their pick last year of Nolan Gorman as a bet on huge tools that has worked out very well so far.

http://www.espn.com/insider/mlb/insider/story/_/id/26662718/keith-law-2019-mlb-mock-draft-10

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Considering how barren we are in pitching prospect depth doesn’t it seem like a no brainer we try to draft some high end pitching?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not sure if the mockers focus on perceived need or just go with rumors they hear. 99 percent of them are wrong, anyway. Too many variables to guess right. Just interesting discussion fodder until the real draft occurs.

One interesting point is that Law has 21 hitters and just 11 pitchers going in the first round, which tends to support the shortage of top pitching observation being made by some.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m anxiously waiting to hear what Brian has to report from EST. It may have some bearing on the later round Card’s selections. There’s those three short-season team rosters to fill.

On paper there are some interesting prospects still at EST. Only 11 have been moved (mostly bullpen pitchers-5), Owen choose FA and then there is names like O’Reilly, Ellis, Pena and Billings who had spent time there and have already been released.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The draft is getting closer. I know we should go for BPA, but I hope we can add some lefties, as there are so few in our system.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joel Reuter from Bleacher Report made up his mock draft:

19. St. Louis Cardinals: 3B Brett Baty, Lake Travis HS (Texas)
    Last year, the Cardinals grabbed a prep third baseman with tremendous raw power who some expected to go higher with the No. 19 overall pick. Now Nolan Gorman is one of the fastest-rising prospects in baseball. Could they find themselves in a similar position this June? Baty also has plus raw power and a solid all-around offensive game, and while he could go as high as No. 8 overall to the Rangers, he slides to the Cardinals in this hypothetical.

I think that mock drafts are actually silly… but I can’t help myself and have to give them a glance.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is almost draft time. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I read the other day that Cody Bellinger, arguably the best player in MLB now, was a fourth round pick. You just never know do you?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paul Dej0ng is surely happy. Illinois State beat Indiana yesterday. A pitcher named Headrick struck out 14. I’ll have to check his season stats out.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I’ll bet DeJong would be a lot happier if he got a hit today. Something like 0-29 I think.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I like the theory of taking the best player available when you don’t draft in the top half but restocking some of the depleted pitching depth sounds like a good idea if there’s value and talent.

Any mocks seem to suggest were taking a position player. I would like to see them take a middle infielder if they do go position. The kid from Mizzou holds almost no interest.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I favor taking Espino in our first round. I believe he might be there and scouts say he has the best fastball in the draft. Also taking Headrich from Illinois State in the first 4-5 rounds. Innings eating lefty.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then draft starts in 15 minutes. I wonder when the Cardinals will pick. What do they have, 5 minutes between picks?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saw Mannfred on MLB, and I want to throw up. I hope his agenda doesn’t ruin this great game.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I flipped off my TV when he appeared

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

LHP Zack Thompson from Kentucky is the pick.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This seems like a good pick that both fills an organizational need while still going bpa as mlb.com had him rated 14th overall.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 217 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years