2019 draft

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Like the pick, lefthander P definitely a need, injury history is a slight concern, seems to have a fiery attitude as well and 2 plus pitches

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It sounds like some say he could be the first pitcher from this draft to the majors. Others believe he won’t but they say he could be a top of the rotation pitcher.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

They needed to go pitching. His injury history is a concern.

They aren’t sure what he’ll end up being. Some say he’s top of the rotation and if he can’t cut it or if injuries become the issue with him a good back end of the bullpen guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thompson’s media Q&A now added, as well.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s hope this “Zack” 1st round pick works out better for us than our last “Zack” 1st rounder (Zack Cox from Arkansas). I have a great feeling about our new “Zack”. I think Mo & Co. did what opposing professional batters will not be able to accomplish with this “Kentucky Kid”….hit a home run….Hey I just saw that the cubbies tabbed rhp Ryan Jensen with their 1st round selection….funny….I had Jensen going in the 3rd round to Seattle…no wonder they haven’t drafted nary a decent hurler over the past decade….Hendricks was drafted by Texas….oh Cashner was their pick….not exactly “money” of a selection, but I guess that one worked out for them as SD was stupid enough to give them Rizzo for the guy….enough rambling let’s get another great one at #2.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

* My apologies….just read the above post and did not intend to misspell “Zack Cox”….I hate those darn spell checks! Tried to go back and change it, but I guess I’m too late.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I remember a poster forecasting success for Cox saying he “liked Cox in the 2-hole” causing several off colour jokes.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Thompson is from the same small Indiana high school as Jeremy Hazelbaker.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not impressed by either pick today.I can see the need for LHP but Thompson`s injury history is a red flag although he has been healthy this season.
    The 2nd pick looks like a long term developmental type IMO.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Not sold so far, first rounder has injury history and there prob were better options…second pick….really…ugh

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the first pick. We really need some lefty starters. The second pick reclassified from the 2020 draft. Not sure how common that is.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fletcher as a cold weather high schooler with a long way to reach his ceiling sounds like Nick Plummer. Hopefully he will sign and then develop better than Plummer.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m with Bw with his take. I’ll just add that both seem to be somewhat of a gamble.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pray tell, who are your sure things the Cards should have taken instead?

These guys at Fangraphs see it differently.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought about Plummer, too, but it is not wise to cancel out an entire area of the country based on one bad pick. Mike Trout is from New Jersey, for example.

Vanderbilt is one of the nation’s very best college programs and they offered Fletcher a scholarship. That tells me a lot about him.

P.S. 11.7 is the maximum number of scholarships that NCAA Division 1 baseball teams can give – not per year, but total at any time.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the Dodgers took Buehler next.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thompson was the highest ranked player available when we got our first pick. When you pick 19th there are probably few low risk choices available. After the first 10 picks it was all over the board.

Fletcher was ranked 64th by BA. We picked him with the 58th pick. We seem to like those cold weather guys. Wonder if Fletcher is Andy Van Slyke or Nick Plummer.

How would we like 109th ranked Ryan Jansen for our first pick. The Cubs seemed to like him.

Thompson ranked 14th and Fletcher 87th by MLB.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Fletcher, or anyone in the first 10 rounds doesn’t sign, the team gets a compensatory pick in that same selection number, right?

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

As much college baseball as I watch I was real please to see the Kentucky kid taken. He was healthy all year and can pitch. They will have to pony up to get the other guy away from Vandy.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals keep drafting guys from the SEC or committed to SEC teams they will be in good shape. It is the best league in the country IMO.

Thompson is a classic Cardinal pick at number 19. Several analysts think he has top 10 talent but fell to 19 due to the injury history, however, this past season he was healthy. I am glad that we really try to push the envelope with our first rounders instead of playing it safe. We got aggressive with Delvin Perez when many passed. It hasn’t worked out yet but it still could.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

If Fletcher, or anyone in the first 10 rounds doesn’t sign, the team gets a compensatory pick in that same selection number, right?

No. That is for the first three rounds only. Other than losing a year of time, the big drawback is that the money allocated to the unsigned pick cannot be reused this year. That is a huge penalty.

In other words, it would be a major fail if they don’t sign Fletcher. FWIW, in the audio posted in our article, Flores says he believes they can sign him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Keith Law’s analysis from ESPN.

The Cardinals took Kentucky lefty Zack Thompson, who had top-10 stuff but slid a little into the teens because teams were concerned about the time he missed in 2018 with a forearm injury. It’s a smart risk for the spot, because that’s the kind of upside the Cardinals rarely get drafting late in the first round. Their second pick, Tre Fletcher, is a raw prep outfielder from Maine who reclassified into this year’s draft and is seen as a tough sign due to his Vanderbilt commitment. He is a plus runner with power, but the hit tool appears to be very far behind.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, if the Cards have to go overslot to get Fletcher, they are going to need to save some money at some point today. That means a pick or two may not live up to the pedigree expectations of our resident (draft) critics. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years