2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 560 total)
  • Author
    Wiley
    Participant

Free

16. Mercado – Gotta stick with my one-hit wonder.
    17. Fernandez –
    18. Tommy Edman – I loved what he did last season and nothing’s changed this year. Showed well at Peoria and got promoted to PB. When Sosa got injured, Tommy jumped another level to Spr. When Sosa came back, it was he, not Edman who got demoted to PB. Come playoff time, there he is on the Memphis roster. Promoted above his development in my book, however, he’s more dynamic then Sosa. Had 35xbh and 13sb.
    19. Edmundo Sosa – hey he’s still very consistent. Even without power he’s still an above average talent.
    20. Dylan Carlson – Started very badly in Peoria because he was young for that level, but he did turn the season around. I believe he will be a major break-out player in 2018.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pads, How do you count the votes to assign the ranking each week?

PadsFS
    Participant

5 to 1 from the highest vote to lowest. so your 16 will get 5.

bccran
    Participant

16. Carlson
    17. Helsley
    18. Hicks
    19. Mercado
    20. Ynfante

I’ve observed Sosa in ST and he really doesn’t seem that special.
    Decent glove and spray hitter, but nothing impactful. I tend to look for either power or speed in a position prospect. Or if not outstanding in either, a decent combination of both. Sosa had 1 home run and had 3 stolen bases this season in 219 at bats. Compare him to Mercado, who had 13 home runs and 38 stolen bases in 477 at bats. Different position, but Mercado brings some impact. As another example, look At Yanfante. He had 7 home runs and 11 stolen bases in only 167 at bats. Young had 17 home runs and 8 stolen bases. That’s what makes O’Neill so intriguing. Not only did he have 31 home runs and 95 runs batted in this season, but he also stole 14 bases and was only caught twice. The kid’s a gamer.

Perez is a human string bean who has a ton of filling out and developing to do. No assurances. On a prospect list, I’d put both Edman and Robertson above him right now. Much more to go on, and leaders of their talented college teams like Mejia was.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

16.Junior Fernandez P
    17.Connor Jones P
    18.Jake Woodford P
    19.Dylan Carlson OF
    20.Oscar Mercado OF

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

bccran, Helsley and Hicks were already picked in the previous round of voting.

bccran
    Participant

Sorry. Thanks for the heads up, BH.

16.) Mercado
    17.) Yfante
    18.) Carlson
    19.) Woodford
    20.) Oviedo

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

No worries. I messed up earlier with a Weaver selection.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t get the Connor Jones over Woodford picks. They pitched aobut the same at A+ ball this year, but Woodford is two full years younger than Jones. I like Jones in my top 30 maybe, haven’t got there yet, but not above Woodford.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pads
    Jones is got a little more swing and miss stuff than Woodford at the moment .Just a opinion.I think both will eventually be contributors in STLouis in a few years.

PadsFS
    Participant

Yeah, probably true. I’d like to see his K numbers spike before I trust it. I don’t know if it’s a velocity thing or not.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If Jones has better swing and miss stuff he hasn’t shown it statistically. He has show that he doesn’t have as good of control as Woodford.

14NyquisT
    Participant

16. Fernandez
    17. Carlson
    18. Woodford
    19. Mercado
    20. Edman – I think that TE, because he had to move up to Sprinfield to replace the injured Sosa, has jumped Sosa on the depth chart and will either start ’18 at MEM or be there early on in the season. The SS issue in St.Louis may be a factor. His play has not gone unnoticed and the organization feels that he could be the guy to step up to bigger things. Just explaining my reason for including him in my top 20.

The 20-30 selections should see some new names that may be less familiar than the ones we’re used to seeing there. There are some standout talented guys in the lower levels.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Edman’s bat doesn’t play as well as Sosa’s. And defensively the peripherals for Edman aren’t as good as they are for Sosa. Edman only jumped Sosa because of the injury and other promotions. Spring training will determine, however, who is higher on the prospects totem pole.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It does not affect the timing of your voting here, but don’t forget that Sosa has been selected to play in the Arizona Fall League. That will be very important for him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BH…. Sure it was Sosa’s injury that forced Edman to be sent to Springfield before he was actually ready for the step up. But the organization must have felt that they could challenge Edman’s bat further. That may have resulted in lower offensive #s but his defense is not to be overlooked as he could very well be the best SS in the farms.

The scenario that put Edman at AA was: Sosa was DLed on 6/1 and was thought to be able to go by mid-June. Mejia, who was then at SPFD was promoted to MEM on 6/15. Sosa was DLed again on 6/18 and on the same day Edman went to SPFD. Mejia, who was an option to return to SPFD stayed at MEM, so the organization must’ve felt Edman could handle AA.

Edman finished the season at AAA when the Redbirds made their championship run and played in 9 post-season games, and it was his glove that got him there. I know that Sosa rehabbed at GCL and returned to PB on 8/25. I’ve always been a Sosa fan, but it was Edman that went from low-A to adv-A to AA to AAA. Last Sept. he was leading STATE COLLEGE (adv Rookie) to a league championship one year later he was with MEMPHIS on their PCL championship team. Wait… what?

Both Sosa and Edman are impressive SSs. We all know about Sosa and we should all know about Edman as well. Just my 2 cents.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Good point, Brian. I forgot about Sosa playing in the AFL. i do see him having a breakout performance.

bccran
    Participant

Here are some of Edman’s numbers for this season –

PA – 495
    2B – 22
    3B – 8
    HR – 5
    RBI – 55
    SB – 13

The ones that jumped out for me are triples and stolen bases.

If he has at least as good a glove as Sosa, I truly think you probably have a better prospect in Edman. At least at this point.

David Greenwald
    Participant

16. Woodford
    17. Perez
    18. Fernandez
    19. Oviedo
    20. Mercado

David Greenwald
    Participant

“If he has at least as good a glove as Sosa, I truly think you probably have a better prospect in Edman. At least at this point.”

You have to look at projectability and upside too, not just raw statistics.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Based on my calculations the votes thus far stand at:

40 – Fernandez
    32 – Woodford
    26 – Carlson
    23 – Perez
    21 – Mercado
    12 – Sosa
    5 – Jones
    4 – Infante
    4 – Edman
    4 – Oviedo
    3 – Seferina
    3 – Seijas
    1 – Tewes

Mudville and Cards1776 are the only ones who haven’t voted yet.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

16. Fernandez The talent that has been raved about has to be there somewhere. Showed significant improvement during the second half.

17. Mercado Impressive performance this year.

18. Woodford Heady pitcher. Only 20 years old. Lots of potential.

19. Carlson Scouts like him. The organization likes him. Very young, but he’s starting to come on.

20. Perez Sure hope he rebounds next year. Love to see Perez in the Top 10. Hard for me not to vote for Sam Tewes here because I just want to. Next year will be more definitive for Tewes.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

16. Mercado
    17. Fernandez
    18. Perez
    19. Carlson
    20. Woodford

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I wonder what happened to stlcard25. He voted for the very first pick but then disappeared.

PadsFS
    Participant

Going to end the vote here for #16-20.

Looks like we have:

#16 – Fernandez
    #17 – Jake Woodford
    #18 – Dylan Carlson
    #19 – Oscar Mercado
    #20 – Delvin Perez

What a drop for Perez. I still think he has the most potential of our position player though.

Voting is open for #21-25.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 560 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.