2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

This topic contains 559 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wiley 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 551 through 560 (of 560 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelly lost his rookie status and replaced by Montero at #30 by MLB.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

Want to give Bryan Dobzanski a little love.

His numbers as a reliever are looking respectable (2.08 ERA) and he seems to have developed a pitch that’s getting lots of GOs as his GO/AO ratio is 2.78 this season compared to a 1.00 career average (1.04 is his his career-best season).

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it possible that Hicks has already lost his prospect status? MLB took him down and added Mendoza to #30. I guess Sherriff and Mayers have lost their status too. Flaherty soon to follow.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Most of these guys are only losing their prospect status at mlb.com. Almost every other site recognizes the difference between a prospect and rookie of the year eligibility which has a time on roster component. Most other sites (including this one) recognize that a minimal performance (innings/ab’s) is more important as to whether one is still a prospect.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Prospect status and ROY eligibility, objectively, should be the same.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well, at most sites they are not. And while it makes things simpler, I see no reason other than that that they need to be the same. Why does MLB get to decide who is still a prospect. A prospect to me is just that. Something that is prospective, something that is still to be determined/defined. You can argue how much playing time should be allowed for that but it is a tough argument to make that 45 days on the bench helps come to that conclusion. Add that to the fact not all 45 days are equal (September days dont count even if the player was already on the roster).

Wiley
    Participant

Free

As you guys probably remember, the MLB rookie rules has always been a bone of contention for me. The fact that September games don’t count is ridiculous. Apparently, the most important games to the playoff run don’t include the contributions of rookie players. Say what?! If MLB wants to wave the 45 days on the roster for September, that’s fine, but to say their AB’s or IP didn’t happen is absurd to the max. It’s just one of baseballs many stupid rules. No other major sport has rules as dumb as baseball.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wiley, I could be wrong and I could be misinterpreting what you are saying but as far as I know AB’s and IP’s from September do count against rookie status so unclear what your point is.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Service time in September is all that doesn’t “count”.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

CC, Pads, thank you for the clarification on ‘rookie status’. That does make more sense to do it that way. We’ve broken in a lot of rooks this season with a few more going to lose their status.

Viewing 10 posts - 551 through 560 (of 560 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years