Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 2.115 cutoff for Super Two last year was unusually low. It had never been that low in the last decade. It was 2.134 in 2018, a more typical number. But pick the number you like. Reyes has to be up for a significant period. It could happen and it may not.

Even if he becomes arb-eligible, his raise for 2021 would not break the team. Because so much of his service time to date was spent on the IL, he hasn’t delivered much in the results department – at least not yet. Maybe he will become the surprise player of 2020. Wouldn’t that be nice?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“would not break the team because so much of his service time has been spent IL”

Bottom line, well done.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Molina clarifies that he wants to play in 2021 and 2022.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great milestone by Yadi. In the list of 2000 hits as a Cardinal, he is in select company.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are people on Twitter actually suggesting that Yadi be given the qualifying offer of $18.9 million in order to show him respect. I consider this a terrible idea. What say you?

Participant

Free

My initial reaction is it’s a bad idea. Molina’s production has fallen both offensively and defensively. We are constrained on payroll and that doesn’t help us much.

Given some reflection on the matter, it may not be the worst thing to do. Knizner is our only major league ready catcher and he really hasn’t proven anything with the bat, yet. We are probably only looking at a difference in payroll of about $4-5 million. That’s not enough to make or break the team for 1 year.

Also, if Waino retires, we need Yadi’s leadership.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please explain the $4-5 million difference. Thanks.

Participant

Free

I am hoping the Cardinals could sign him to a contract for around $12-14 million, not the QO.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2yrs/18.9mil is more like it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, thanks for clarifying, forsch. I would not go $12 MM to $14 MM guaranteed. I would expect a lower base and incentives that might cap out at $10-12 MM, but haven’t worked it out in my head completely.

With a second year joint option, 2/$20 max has a nice ring to it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There are people on Twitter actually suggesting that Yadi be given the qualifying offer of $18.9 million in order to show him respect. I consider this a terrible idea. What say you?

Good grief, how is this even a serious consideration? Have these twitter folks ever looked at our payroll situation? Can they do math?

Participant

Free

Yadi has made many millions of dollars over the course of his career and one would think he is comfortably well fixed for the rest of his life. Do you think he would go to the mat, or go walkabout for a few million more? Or would he just be reasonable and forego a couple million in order to enjoy a final year or two of adoration in St. Louis?

Participant

Free

Actually, I have said in the past that he should be offered a base around $8 million with incentives up to $12 million. A lot of times for payroll purposes I look at what is the most the Cardinals would have to pay someone. I am not sure that is right or wrong but it gives me an idea of the top end of the salaries.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Ben Cerutti, one of the writers from Birds on the Black, a Cardinals blog site, compiled the Cardinals W-L record when Yadi started versus others from the past several years and honestly I was shocked by the numbers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting. Did he happen to do the math on the team record without Yadi so there could be a direct comparison of the winning percentages? I could look it up myself, but if someone already did it…

Participant

Free

Cardinals W-L record with someone other than Yadi starting at catcher

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, BHC. Has anyone offered any possible explanation other than randomness?

The numbers confirm the other catchers are even poorer hitters than Molina. Is the suggestion that others call a better game? Seems counterintuitive.

I guess Catchers ERA would be another place to check. If pitchers ERA is lower when Molina is catching (a supposition without the data), it would just seem the other eight hitters perform better on days Molina is not in the lineup.

As is often said, correlation does not mean causation…

Participant

Free

I know at one point in a season I checked the catcher’s ERA for Molina and Kelly. Kelly had the better ERA. I want to say that at that time, Molina’s ERA was almost 1 run higher. I can’t speak for sample sizes or even when it was. I just remember being shocked.

Participant

Free

I asked Ben if he had the ERA with Yadi and w/o Yadi. He retweeted this for mr:

https://mobile.twitter.com/stlfanbc7/status/1317305306255400960

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Most of those runs totals are so close that random noise could well be the difference. I can’t remember but one or two pitchers over the years have had another catcher than Yadi assigned to them, it seems like. Anyone recall who? That certainly could away things one way or another.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much new in this piece but there is starting to be a little more chatter about the possibility of Molina considering other teams.

Reunion with Pujols with the Angels?
    Reunion with LaRussa with the White Sox if he gets the job? (They have Grandal)
    Rick Hummell mentioned yesterday the Yankees might have interest since they hour soured on Gary Sanchez.

I will believe it when I see it. I expect Mo to give Yadi the 2 year deal he wants.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who would the Cards go with if Yadi leaves? Knizner can hit but the reports on his pitch handling and defense aren’t as good. Wieters looked really bad at both facets this year. Would Herrera be thrown in the deep end? Sign Realmuto? LOL

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years