Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wow…that Dave Dahl deal makes the $10 million offer truly ridiculous. One year at 7 or 8 seems like the ballpark the Cards are now playing in. I think this makes the angels even more likely for Yadi.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a wild guess, but I would not be surprised if the member of Molina’s camp quoted is Bengie. He was a very good baseball player for a long time, but has proven since that he understands little about the business side of the game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently Yadi doesn’t know much about the business side of the game either. Or he is just extremely sensitive. Or both.

bccran
    Participant

Hot blooded. Like Pujols.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The David Dahl deal is a one year, re-establish his value contract after being non-tendered over a 2.7mil arb estimate. He had shoulder surgery in Sept and has spent a career shuttling back and forth off the IL. He’s actually the opposite of Yadi, who won’t take a day off.

It’s a good signing for the rebuilding Rangers, but a terrible contract comp for Yadi.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It wasn’t a comp, but is indicative of the current market.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok, then I agree. When an oft injured player, who ends his season due to surgery, has to take a re-establish value bench $ contract of 3mil, I’d say that’s VERY market appropriate.

How Yadi and 10mil was included in that reply still puzzles me. My bad.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Dahl deal was surprising to me in length and value. Under these circumstances, I would suggest the Cards would be looking to maximize their dollars. If the team could sign Seung-Bum Na, (a formerly injured star who is trying to establish his market) with the difference between Yadi’s desired $10 million and the market’s value, this will send Yadi to the Angels where he can take solace that he is finally respected.
    Total adoration and preferential treatment for decades pales in comparison to $1.5 million dollars of theoretical respect.
    I suspect Na will be their play. If Yadi takes less, they can have it all where they probably don’t want the money invoked in Peterson and Yadi at $10 million.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“maximimizing their dollars” is why I think McCann was the first catcher off the board. Someone will sign Realmuto, and the NYM surely could have, but chose not to. Diversify is an investment theme Cohen is all too familiar with.

The LAA are a very possible location for Yadi. We know they need starting pitching too. Will they “maximize” or continue to sign stars and ignore the rotation?

At one time there were 6 teams reported to have checked in on McCann, leaving plenty of suitors for Yadi.

I agree signing Yadi and Pederson both around 10mil each seems unlikely. I’d prefer a cleanup bat if it’s pick just one.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect Na will be their play. If Yadi takes less, they can have it all where they probably don’t want the money invoked in Peterson and Yadi at $10 million.

From what I’ve read of Na, he’s a high K, low walk slugger likely won’t hit 7 figures, thus making him a candidate to stay in Korea. Is there something else you have seen about him?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree signing Yadi and Pederson both around 10mil each seems unlikely. I’d prefer a cleanup bat if it’s pick just one.

The Cards can use power, to be sure. Given the lack of any other playable option at catcher, the team will need Yadi more than it needs an extra OFer at this point.

bccran
    Participant

They need both, 25.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maximizing funds available may be Mo’s choice again this offseason. He used Ozuna’s 2020 declined Q-offer and spread it amongst Wainwright, KK, B Miller and Wieters.

bccran
    Participant

So if both Waino and Yadi come back, how do you improve the team over 2020? Cost neutral trades?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So if both Waino and Yadi come back, how do you improve the team over 2020? Cost neutral trades?

Mo specifically said that it’s possible the same team coming back is better than it was in 2020. (He also said it’s possible they are not)

bccran
    Participant

I understand how difficult the season was for the Cards in 2020. But in 2019 the Cards were in the bottom third in MLB in team OPS. Again, how do they improve things? Cost neutral trades?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again, how do they improve things? Cost neutral trades?

The answer will likely be a low hanging fruit type signing and guys like Paul Dejong, Dylan Carlson and Tyler O’Neill all OPSing over .800. I’m not saying that will all happen, but it’s probably the approach the front office is going to take. Most of the team’s players are either way past prime on bad contracts or young and at the nadir of their trade value thanks to really bad 2020 seasons. There is basically no middle ground with the exception of Goldy and Carlson, neither of whom you (or any Cards fan) is going to be interested in trading at this point.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bc ran, if ops is your desired area of improvement, why are you adding Yadi back to the lineup in your replies?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be in the minority but I think Knizer can be a serviceable starting catcher for 400 AB’s, especially if paired with a veteran who can take 200 AB’s.

Spending money on nostalgia is not going to make the team better.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be in the minority but I think Knizer can be a serviceable starting catcher for 400 AB’s, especially if paired with a veteran who can take 200 AB’s.

The team definitely does not think that way. It seems they view Knizner as an OK backup and nothing more. This is at least one case where I think the team very well knows what they have. They’re looking for a bridge to Herrera and Knizner won’t be it.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would take Molina and Na over Kninzer and say Wolters and Peterson.
    I think what is best for the team is secondary to what is best for the organization.

Signing Waino and Yadi carries significant value to the brand. Losing either would be damaging to Cardinal legacy. The wild card is Yadi and his need to be in control. If the offer doesn’t fit with what he feels he needs, he could easily end up elsewhere.

We just have to be patient. This is actually just the second week of the off season since January is the new December according to Mo.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi is currently 8th offensively amongst FA catchers available today, by wRC+ for 2019 & 2020

2019-20, min. 350 PA’s

wRC+
    112 Realmuto, headed elsewhere
    103 Suzuki, expected one year deal, 100 GS last 2 seasons w/ops+ of 104 & 99
    102 Casali, 86 GS last 2 seasons, career 95 ops+, 951 PA’s
    102 Ramos, hard pass, weak D
    99 Chirinos, career avg D, avg bat
    99 Castro, 104 GS last two seasons, plus D, 102 and 83 ops+ for 19′ & 20′
    87 Flowers, best Yadi comp today without a legacy to pay for
    86 Molina, 153 GS last two seasons, 87 and 81 ops+ for 19′ and 20′

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Casali, but prefer Yadi.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Casali, then Castro for me, to maximize funds available for a cleanup type bat.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The team definitely does not think that way.

I am aware of that but that doesn’t mean they are correct. I think they are playing the legacy and nostalgia card, which sells tickets but not necessarily helps in the W-L column.

Let’s say the three remaining needs are Waino, Yadi, and another bat. Then let’s say they can only choose two, I would go with Waino and bat.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.