Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Comparisons at Memphis in 2019 –

Schrock – .275/.366/.381/.747/16.37 K%
    20 doubles/1 triple/2 home runs

Sosa – .291/.335/.466/.801/19.3 K%
    18 doubles/5 triples/17 home runs

Maybe they value Schrock’s OBP over Sosa’s power.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You answered it yourself. Edman backs up DeJong at SS and Schrock backs up Edman at 2B. Its not like Shildt is going to rest two starters the same day. This would be very workable, IMO. The bonus is Schrock’s LH bat off the bench, which right now, might be the only one with Wieters and Brad Miller gone.

P.S. Folks here seem to not be aware that Schrock was primarily the THIRD baseman for Memphis in 2019. So he could either back up Carpenter or they could slide Edman to third on days Carpenter sits and play Schrock at second.

Bottom line, Schrock may only be an emergency SS, but the Cardinals are not really disadvantaged if they choose him over Sosa, who can play all three positions.

Participant

Free

That’s a great point, 25.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While Sosa may end up a casualty of the roster crunch, I still think the lack of action on him this year was probably more COVID related than the Cards choosing Schrock over him, all other things considered. I don’t know that he’ll be another “one that got away,” I also wouldn’t be surprised if Sosa went elsewhere and put up decent numbers as a SS/utility guy on a small market team. If healthy, I wouldn’t be terribly worried if Sosa had to fill in for Dejong at SS for several weeks. If Schrock is starting for weeks at a time, we are screwed.

What a few weeks…to go from Wong-Dejong-Edman with Carp and possibly Sosa as backup (which I’d consider an average hitting, excellent fielding infield) to Edman-Dejong-Carp with a Schrock backup. Blech. This is a 70-75 win team.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe this is roster fatigue with Sosa. Sosa is still 24, Schrock is now 26, about 17 months difference.

They were teammates in 18′ & 19′ and I’d like to believe their talent levels led to Sosa’s higher prospect status at TCN. When I look at any prospect rankings that’s what I’m hoping to find, the talent level of a player, not the politics.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Comparisons at Memphis in 2019 –

Schrock – .275/.366/.381/.747/16.37 K%
    20 doubles/1 triple/2 home runs

Sosa – .291/.335/.466/.801/19.3 K%
    18 doubles/5 triples/17 home runs

Maybe they value Schrock’s OBP over Sosa’s power.

Or maybe they are looking at more than one year of data.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj said:

When I look at any prospect rankings that’s what I’m hoping to find, the talent level of a player, not the politics.

Taking just one perspective isn’t how it is done. Tools are important and are clearly highlighted, but so is the risk assessment of the player being able to achieve his potential future value as a major leaguer.

Otherwise, we would just rank all the top tools guys first, even when they are 16-year-olds playing in the DSL.

P.S. In one of the “12-pack” of post-Top 50 countdown articles I write every year is this re-ranking of the prospects, by tools only. It is quite different from the regular Top 50, but still an interesting look at the talent levels in the system. Even so, the Cardinals are known for getting more out of relatively lower tools, lower expectations guys.

Participant

Wong’s departure is just another example of the FO’s misfortune of handing out too much money on what has turned out to be poor signings and extensions. We all know that litany. Declining Wong’s option year might be an omen of what additional payroll cuts are yet to come. If they sent Wong packing will it be less of a shock to see Molina and Wainwright gone?

DeWitt and company must be seeing gloomy financial days ahead extending into next season. Any $$ they can save now can be used to “rebuild” in ’22 and as far as being competitive in ’21, let the chips fall where they may. There is still questions looming regarding next season and how C-19 will effect it. There is little reason to ante up for something so much in doubt…. will people be allowed to pay money to attend games at all? and how many? If there is little or no gate receipts what will that mean to the Cards and for that matter the rest of MLB?

How long will the pandemic linger? No one can tell us. What further damage will it create for baseball and other sports that rely on fannies in their seats?

I don’t expect great things from the ’21 edition of the Cards. The FO will go with what they have… and of those can you name one that overachieved or even matched their expectations last season? The lineup is stale. My hopes are that the new crop of prospects can succeed in rejuvenating a team in its decline. Who or what brought this on is for fans to speculate on. There may be little sense in finger-pointing at this juncture but everyone that is a true fan of the Cards is entitled to do just that… after all its their team too. What has happened to this organization?… and why? Most guys here already know what my target is.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, that is a important post. Would you mind pasting it into the PLAYER PAYROLL/BUDGET thread, please?

This is much bigger than Wong and I want to comment, but I’d rather it not be lost. What you are discussing is important, IMO.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How it’s done is up to you boss, it’s your barbeque. I was speaking for me, I go to prospect rankings to see scouting reports, baseball stuff, the 5-tools are a premium, and who’s closest is for others to enjoy.

Sosa and Schrock basically didn’t play in 2020. If I had info on their alt camp 2020 I’d use it to consider why Sosa needs to drop and Schrock climbs. Covid availablility doesn’t factor for me. Maybe Mo wants his trade acquisition (Schrock) to do well? Lord knows he needs a feel good trade story!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, one can weigh different factors differently. Everyone probably does. In this particular case, however, I just have to again note that Schrock having two more options and Sosa having zero matters a lot, whether it is considered politics or whatever. Roster construction, LHB vs. RHB, which positions they can cover, who may be blocking them, etc… all matter to the bottom line.

For me, that bottom line is not tools. It is their chance of helping the Cardinals at the MLB level. Schrock has two years more of runway to potentially make that happen. So even if his tools are lower, his opportunity may be greater. For Sosa, it is going to have to come together very fast (in 2021 spring training) or maybe not at all – at least with this team.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see no options, weak SS depth and D flexibility all as positives for Sosa, especially when they know they can stash Schrock in the minors. I’ll give Schrock a slight edge on handedness, but it’s not glaring vs RHP’s. I guess we will get some insight once the FO has to set rosters at 40.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am sure (well, not really) that Mo is taking into account that there will likely be more low hanging fruit than normal this off season. The Wong move frees up both dollars and roster space for this.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume one of two things must be true. Either the organization expects the Covid related revenue drop to last beyond next season, or they considered it unlikely they would be able to keep Wong after next season. It doesn’t make sense any other way. Of those, the latter seems more likely to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

1) I am sure (well, not really) that Mo is taking into account that there will likely be more low hanging fruit than normal this off season.

2) The Wong move frees up both dollars and roster space for this.

1) Yes, there should be. But that doesn’t mean they plan to act on it. After listening to both Mo and DeWitt III, I am very doubtful.

2) Not if they re-sign Waino and Yadi. Please swing over to the payroll thread for more. The main roster benefit is that they didn’t have to drop another player today. The roster is still full at 40.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have to eat a large piece of humble pie tonight on my defense of Schrock over Sosa. The Cubs just picked Schrock up off waivers from the Cardinals.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock to hit .320 with 50 doubles next season.

In all seriousness, good luck to Max. He has had the good hit tool for most of his career (ironically not once he got to the St Louis org), so he may have a shot to make it work in Wrigley.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like Sosa over Schrock, so no big deal losing him to the arch-rival IMHO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As some wiseguy posted on Twitter, at least the Cardinals have a Gold Glove second baseman to rely on…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wong has maintained a 2+ WAR per year over 7 years. Edman has been just as good, but only over two years with what might be a skewed 2019 number.

I think we are going to feel the impact of losing Kolten similar to how the Rockies have felt the loss of DJ LaMaheiu.

However, again I am a fan of Sosa if he is healthy. I think he can be one of the pleasant surprises of 2021. He’s got a good skill set; needs to stay healthy, get some playing time, and that most important of all factors, have some success to drive confidence that he can play at the major league level.

Participant

Free

Schrock should have been protected. My disgust with the Cardinal’s front office is growing.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock didn’t do much in his time with the Cardinal organization an has less ability to play multiple positions than Sosa. I don’t think it will end up being a great loss to lose him from the roster.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I obviously liked Schrock so I hate to see him go to the Cubs. Maybe for our sake he will do for them what Descalso has done.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess the Piscotty trade is now officially in the books now with Munoz and Schrock gone. We didn’t get much out but neither did Oakland. Piscotty has had some bright moments with them but nothing spectacular.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Larger loss than meets the eye. “The Rock” will thrill the Wrigley faithful. Both he and Wong gone spells one thing…..”MO HAS A BIG ACQUISITION LOOMING”.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years