Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Overall wong was one of our better producers at the plate and pretty good on defense. His only flaw being some wild throws mainly due to throwing sidearm. Was he worth twelve to thirteen million maybe not but he is s lot closer to it than carpenter or Fowler have been to their salaries. Do we have better options on the playing side, I don’t think so. Edmans might be a decent second baseman but offensively I think his first year was more a fluke and going forward he will be more like this past year if not worse so he’s fifty fifty at best. He has great speed but that only helps if you are on base.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wong wisely keeping the door open…

To me, the tell is that the team could have initiated “that talk” long before he reached free agency. That they did not do it speaks volumes to me about their intentions. But you should never say never…

Participant

Free

I am still finding it hard to believe that the Cards basically cut the heart out of a superb infield lineup for 11.5 million dollars. Now that cut has increased where it is a double Gold Glove winner. His offense was good enough to keep him and his defense was not to be topped. He was drafted in 2011 and after 9 years has made it to the top of his profession twice. Say it ain’t so Mo.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This one, letting Wong go, shocked me when I heard it and does not make sense. At least from what I am seeing and my opinion of things, management is making more mistakes in their decision-making over the last year or so.

Things are slipping a bit. It is likely partially due to the 2020 revenue hit, but they are making things worse with their player personnel decisions. In summary, they are consistently handing out “bonuses” to older, declining players and not taking care of, and are missing the mark on some younger and prime players.

Is there a better second baseman out there for the money in 2021 than Kolten Wong?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately, that is not their question. Let me guess what it is.

Q: “Is the gap between Wong and Edman worth $11 million in these times?”

(Not defending the team. Just taking a shot at their logic.)

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That might be their thinking Brian, but if so they have to realize player decisions are not made in a silo. If management concludes that Edman gives a greater ROI as the second baseman, then you create another issue, the vacancy left from Tommy’s prior position.

Maybe they plan on going with Gorman. Maybe they figure the DH is out for ’21 and Carpenter will be back at third and are banking (so to speak) on a rebound from him.

As some have surmised, maybe there is a deal in the works. Who knows – for now I am not real pleased with their decisions.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter isn’t likely to go anywhere. Whether they expect a rebound of not, changes seem good they are going to play him.

Participant

Free

Wong was a pure money decision. 11 million or league minimum in a world where they may be no gate receipts next year or certainly much less. This is a business and it is about costs and revenue. The Front Office can’t be concerned with winning in 2021 (that is a not a shot at the Front Office). They need to tighten the belt…very tight. They need to trade Miller for a prospect and they’re would be a market for him. Try if possible to get rid of Carpenter and Fowler. Let Wainwright and Molina walk. Trade Martinez…it would be a give away for a prospect. They have to clean house and cut the payroll down to the bone. Rebuild around Goldschmidt, Carlson, DeJOng and Flaherty.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dan Buffa at KSDK accuses the Cardinals of not giving Wong “the respect and honor of a trade”.

That logic is totally faulty. Let’s think about this. Would Wong rather be told which team he has to play for or get to make his own choice? Seems to me being a free agent is far more respectful – maybe unless he could be traded to the (non-existent) MLB team in Hawaii.

And if the reply is that a trade is respectful because it protects his salary, that is another way of admitting that he might not be worth $12.5 million in the CURRENT market.

The author does not acknowledge that the Cardinals could have been burned by committing to the $12.5 million salary without knowing if another team would take it on.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/mlb/stl-cardinals/how-the-cardinals-mishandled-the-kolten-wong-situation/63-1a61cd11-f0af-45f2-a8b6-eaee233350f9

BeopigBeopig
    Participant

Free

As always, it is easy to spend the money of others, but for the life of me, I cannot see Wong being $11,000,000 better than Edman.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two interesting assertions here. One is the Jays’ interest. The other is the Cards made a multiyear offer.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps a low-ball offer, or maybe Wong was stung by the Cards turning down his option and will say no to them no matter what.

Participant

Free

I’ve despised Wong since he got picked off in the WS. Glad he’s gone. Sign with someone else Kolten…make me happy.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mets now have an extra $24 million for 2021

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman replaces Wong. Sosa replaces Edman.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do we really want a guy with a .200/.385/.200 career MLB slash line replacing Edman? For that matter, do we really want a guy who hit .250/.317/.368 replacing Wong? Wong hit .285/.361/.423 just last year, after all. (Fun with numbers)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Judging a guy by 13 MLB plate appearances? Let’s just trot out the Triple-A slash lines… 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

You didn’t really use 13 plate appearances for your example, as a “career MLB slash line”, did you 25?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there a top 50 FA TOR hasn’t shown interest in?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there a top 50 FA TOR hasn’t shown interest in?

The Cardinals may be next year’s Blue Jays.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, if they position themselves well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Need to shave some payroll to make room for Yadi, Waino, and that veteran left fielder.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years