Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The sky is not falling. Milwaukee and Chicago are on the definite decline and the Reds and the Pirates…..are just that, the Reds and the Pirates. The Cards win the division by 8+ games next year. No matter how dishevelled and beaten Mo looked, the man has a plan for post-Wong. And at the end of the day, it’ll be one that we all will be happy with.

Pardon the Ivanka-Mark Cuban team ownership proposal, Brian and Scotty. At least it was bipartisan.

Participant

Free

What a trainwreck of a front office.

Participant

Free

Pugs,

And Beijing Biden never talked to Hunter about business. Lol

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

I know zip about Cards finances. I trust that they do. But I am sure sorry to see a key player go to free agency after 7 years of development to where he is at the top of his game now.

Edman is not an everyday 2B.

Tommy is playing practically everyday now. He hasn’t pitched or caught or played 1b but I think he had a game or two at all the others. He is not Gold Glove but he is close enough to call an everyday player and if it happens to be at one position I only hope it doesn’t reduce the flexibility of the team to rotate players. Sosa looked pretty good as infielder during spring training. I am glad we have him to fill Kolten’s position.

I am pretty bumfuzzled to see the list of 147 Free Agents – must be slim pickings in MLB after a season of empty seats.

Participant

Free

He is pretty much 100% dead on all the cards are doing is showing their fans how STUPID and CHEAP they are and it will not go over well at all..

Participant

Free

Onyxgem, I have a feeling that a lot of other teams are in the same position financially. If not, it will show and Mo will be sent on his way.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks, do you really think Mo is setting the team’s financial strategy?

He may have recommended bad contracts that have the team in this mess, but they were pre-COVID. I would bet my small paycheck that he did not want to let Wong go, but the ground rules have tightened. I don’t like it any better than anyone else, and am not defending it, but I understand it at a high level. I just wish I knew what is next…

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I thought Mo said he left the door open? Appears the Wongs walked right through it and kept going.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While the door may not be 100% shut, your employer telling you they’re gonna can you while offering to give you a shot to come back at 30-50% salary if they can’t find anyone else doesn’t tend to leave you with the warm and fuzzies. I’d put the chances of Wong coming back to St Louis for 2021 at about 2%, or just higher than making a trade for Arenado.

Participant

Free

I just here to say FINALLY!! I haven’t read any other posts, but I’ve never understood the love for him. He’s an exceptional defender, below avg bat, and a pretty boy head case. I’ve wanted him traded for years. Front office almost did the right thing here, the right move would have been to trade him last offseason when he had value and got something for him instead of another year of him in the line up and getting nothing in return. It’s nothing personal, just believe he’s WAY overrated and WAY to loved for what he is.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will the trickle down effect from Wong to Edman, does Mo give Edmundo Sosa an opportunity at a bench role? Mo could probably pick up a veteran UI for 1mil on a bounce back contract. Which would you prefer?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj, I would go with Sosa if there’s no DH. If there is a DH I might look for a guy with some more slugging ability. Brad Miller returning might not be the worst idea even. (Not that Miller will be the SS/2B…I honestly expect Sosa is in either way).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is no one other than me concerned that Sosa was the only 40-man player with MLB experience to sit in Springfield all season long?

Participant

25 hit on something important. Why isn’t Sosa given more credit? He’s a solid 6 ft., 210 lbs. Only 24 years old. At Memphis as a 23 year old in 2019 he slashed .291/.335/.466/.801 in 496 plate appearances. Had 18 doubles, 5 triples, and 17 home runs. He has primarily played SS, but has also spent time at 3B and 2B. Why is he labeled a backup infielder? Why not a starter?

Participant

Sorry, Brian, I was typing when you posted. I guess you have the same question about Sosa. Maybe he was more affected by the virus than others?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maybe Sosa was more affected by the virus. We don’t know. But even if so, it was a lost year for a guy that cannot afford to lose a year. He got just 10 MLB PAs in 2019 and zero in 2020. He is out of options and further, it appears that Max Schrock passed him by.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My preference for the bench role would be Schrock, especially if he can expand his position capabilities beyond 2B.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW said:

Is no one other than me concerned that Sosa was the only 40-man player with MLB experience to sit in Springfield all season long?

bccran said:

Maybe he was more affected by the virus than others?

I think bc is right about this. Sosa and Cmart were cleared at the same time, and we know that Cmart had a bad case. I’d guess that Sosa also did. Hopefully he’s ok to go for ST. He did make the openknb day roster this year, so the Cards liked him at one point.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, with Sosa as currently the #20 TCN prospect post-draft, and the expected loss of Wong and it’s trickle down effect, would you still list Sosa’s “roster relief” status as “high”, or would the current lack of middle infield depth suggest a “medium” status?

Participant

Sosa brings something Schrock doesn’t – some power.
    In 85 games for Memphis in 2019 he had 2 home runs.

I saw Sosa in several games at ST this year and was impressed. He’s a good ball player.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I want to be clear that I am not anti-Sosa. I just think he is quickly running out of time. As folks probably saw, our 2021 rankings will start rolling out on Monday. On my personal list, I moved Sosa down and Schrock way up. I attach as much or more importance to what the organization DOES as to what they SAY. We all know that substantive minor league news in 2020 was minimal at best so this year’s rankings have a greater level of uncertainty than usual.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My preference for the bench role would be Schrock, especially if he can expand his position capabilities beyond 2B.

Why Schrock? Other than being left handed, he isn’t as good a defender as Sosa and can’t play SS. I think that he only got a chance this year due to Sosa’s COVID diagnosis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not anti-Sosa at all. I like both guys but I think Schrock has more potential with the hit tool than Sosa, considering his overall minor league career. The key for Schrock will be developing more defensive versatility.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I want to be clear that I am not anti-Sosa. I just think he is quickly running out of time. As folks probably saw, our 2021 rankings will start rolling out on Monday. On my personal list, I moved Sosa down and Schrock way up. I attach as much or more importance to what the organization DOES as to what they SAY. We all know that substantive minor league news in 2020 was minimal at best so this year’s rankings have a greater level of uncertainty than usual.

BW, who backs up Dejong if Schrock stays and Sosa goes? I feel like we know that Dejong can’t play 155 games at SS and needs a break. Schrock isn’t a SS, so unless you slide Edman over then you have no backup to Dejong yet again.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years