Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 2,126 through 2,150 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s weird how the Cardinals are associated with basically every guy on the market who is clearly out of their spending zone, then when it comes to a guy like this who would fit a need and won’t cost that much, there’s no indication of them being a favorite to sign him. I hope, like jager, that they’ve been building a relationship and go for it to try to add a guy they can keep around for 4-5 years without breaking the bank.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That probably says more about the writers than it does about the Cardinals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Now the Braves have two new starters. Waino can forget it.

Agreed. If the Braves were his preferred Plan B then it is time to move to Plan C or go back to Plan A (Cardinals). I don’t think retirement is on the table so he either comes back to St. Louis or maybe Heyman will put forth his annual mystery team involvement.

That probably says more about the writers than it does about the Cardinals.

I agree with this also. When we hear that the Cardinals are “associated” with a certain player you have to consider the source because the Cardinals are notoriously tight lipped.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is a good point, gscottar. The Cards’ best signings lately have been ones that sort of came out of left field, and most definitely the KBO has been kind to St Louis lately. Even the Liberatore trade just seemed to materialize out of thin air as far as the news went.

Participant

Free

Apologies if already brought up, but if Yadi gets 2 years, they really need to front load the contract, leaving more for 2021.

Participant

Free

I don’t know how the Cards can get all of their top prospects on to the 40 man roster, if they are intent on getting an OFer, they should take a look at Haruki Nishikawa, a LH hitting on-base guy. He is 29 and has a line of .286/.382/.396.

For 3B, I think DJ LeMahieu would be the best option.

They should also re-sign Wainwright, Molina, and Brad Miller.

But to do any of it, they need to get rid of some contracts (Martinez/Fowler/Carp). Of the three, Martinez is the one with the most value, while Carp and Fowler will require prospects thrown in.

Now, while we wouldn’t have a huge glamorous lineup, it would be an upgrade (mainly because of LeMahieu), and cost effective.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those two deals tell me that free agents in the Cardinals range aren’t going to come as cheap as we may have hoped for. The market is a little depressed, but not by a whole lot, it looks. Kolten has to like the way it’s shaping up, as he should get a 2-3 year deal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, that is the conclusion I am drawing as well…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like an overpay on Minor.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who would be preferable between Rosario and Pederson? Or should we keep our powder dry until next winter?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Pederson is a better hitter against RHP and a better defender. Rosario has the low K rate but also a low walk rate. Pederson is a pure platoon player, though. If both came at the same price, I’d take Pederson. I think Rosario will be a little cheaper though. If I knew we had a DH going forward I might offer either a 1 year deal with a mutual option.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am more intrigued by the unknowns from Korea Japan and Cuba at the moment…but alas i doubt we are in on any of them enough to make it work

I still believe the overall investment in the “slam dunk” out of US prospects is worth it…even with the Rusney Castillo’s and Yasmany Tomas’ existing (also Castillo has not been bad the last couple of years, just not good enough for him to be worth bringing up)

Get Kim for 3b
    Get this two way Cuban
    get younger Cespedes (go over the and get penalized if you have to)
    Snag Sugano or Arihara for the rotation
    trade CMArt for Clint Frazier
    re-sign Waino and Yadi
    trade Oviedo + Woodford + Bader for Whit Merrifield (can add to this)

Whit (2), Carlson (LF), Goldy, Kim (3b), DeJong, Yadi, Fowler (RF) Frazier (CF), pitcher/DH
    Jack, Waino, Mik, Arihara, Kim/Gomber
    Knizner, Oneill, Thomas, Sosa, Carp
    Hicks, Gallegos, Gant, Miller, Helsley, Genesis, Webb, Brebbia/Junior/Elledge

Participant

Did you lose Edman somewhere along the way? Plus you got us Colas but forgot to put him on the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The ‘Cuban Ohtani’…… sounds like something right out of the Scott Boras playbook. Next we’ll be hearing things like ‘generational player’ and ‘game changer’ and ‘once in a lifetime opportunity’.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I was thinking Edman in a trade somewhere. Maybe KC. But he slots on the bench easily for Sosa or Thomas

And Colas is not projected to be MLB immediate I don’t think.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d take Edman over Merrifield going forward. They are the same sort of player and Edman is still young and cheap while Merrifield is old and fading quickly. He’s about to take the Carpenter leap into late bloomer, early faller oblivion, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A very interesting name… Dahl was predicted to make less than $3 MM in arbitration by MLB Trade Rumors.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was just coming here to post that. He’s an intriguing option for the OF. Not a great glove or big power, but he does hit right handed pitching well (.857 OPS) and had three straight above average seasons with the bat to start his career. He’s about even with Rosario as an outfield option, in my eyes. He won’t cost much.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just read a report that Dahl is expected to be available for ST after Sept shoulder surgery. If the season starts in late July again that’s just extra rehab time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A big picture view…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the season starts in late July again that’s just extra rehab time.

Is this your belief that it’s likely to happen or is this just the “worst case scenario”…? Considering every other league has managed to have something close to a full season and the likelihood that a vaccine will be available growing every day, I’m not sure how the league could justify another paltry season to the public.

At best, the league might be set back years and at worst, if combined with a 2021-22 labor stoppage, it could completely ruin MLB’s spot as the #2, maybe even #3 sport.

Viewing 25 posts - 2,126 through 2,150 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years