Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 2,151 through 2,175 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going off of last year until I hear differently. Remember when Manfred said “we were never going to play more than 60 games”? It may not be what fans want to hear, but it’s still about the owners money.

In the county where I live it’s now a $50 fine for not wearing a mask. That’s a new development that flies in the face of scenarios that Covid situation is improving. I’m more of a Sho-Me guy, 25.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s fair enough. Obviously the pandemic is not getting better currently. I’m under the assumption that things should be improved by spring. It may not end up happening, though. Which would be unfortunate on way more levels than baseball.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your evaluation of Merrifield surprised me. Is that a gut feeling or do you see stats that indicate a downward trend looming?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The walk rate dropping and the OBP going from a solid .367 to acceptable .348 to a less acceptable .325 is concerning. His exit velocities were very slightly down this year, which normally isn’t a big deal but they weren’t great anyway. I don’t think he’s likely to run .350+ BABIPS going forward and if he’s around .300 there, he’s basically an average bat with average defense who can play multiple poaitions. Then there’s the odd habit that players who don’t make it big til later tend to fall off sooner. So a bit of stats and a bit of a gut feeling. I would not want to give up Oviedo in a trade for him.

Since think Edman is an average bat who can play multiple positions, I’d rather keep the prospects and him over Merrifield.

Participant

Free

Dahl would be worth a flyer. He won’t be an answer but he could be a big help with the bat for cheap. He should fit within payroll constraints.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rank Pederson, Rosario, and Schwarber higher than Dahl but he might be cheaper.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I truly hope we don’t give Schwarber any thought at all. About the only former Cub I would think about exploring would be Quintana, because I think he comes cheap and could eat innings.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Merrifield fading quickly? show me, and show me a full season of Edman putting up any kind of numbers that compete with Whit’s

Also Whit is only signed through 2022 for a total of about 9.5mil (22 is only 2.75), AND there is a club option for 23 at only 6.5mil, he is only 31 now…even if we kept him through 23 he’d be 34, sure seems like we’d be paying for his last good years, and at a supreme discounted price

Whit has played every game for the last 3 seasons i think, he hits for high average, he can play all the OF and 2b and 1b if i remember, he is competent lead off hitter, takes a walk, steals a solid 15 or so bags, hits for 10-20 or so HRs, oh and he is cheap

what else do you want?

He’s is 31, so what? He doesn’t make a lot of money and fills a major role for our team that we have not been able to fill for 3 years. He is versatile and can move around to fit the needs of the club or as his age slows him in one position or the other.

Edman is cheaper…yeah…but NOT as good at every single part of the game compared to Whit except playing SS or 3b i guess…

also they are both not mutually exclusive players

Whit is a consistent All Star level player garnering even MVP votes…Edman…is not the same player…yet…or and more likely …ever

2020 stats are what they are for everyone out there…but even Whit’s werent bad…and comparing them to Edman’s i’d say Edman is falling off a cliff of hitting more than Whit

Maybe you don’t like Whit or think he deserves a big trade package comapred to other needs…but saying Edman is the same player or that we could use what Whit provides or that Whit is getting bad fast is just not true…

Whit + Arenado fixes our offensive problems and doesnt hurt our defense

Both are tough gets but they are the types of players we need…can there be other players that do it? maybe…could we try for one and loko elsewhere for the other? maybe

Whit + Kim could work
    Arenado + Edman + Kim/Cesar Hernandez/La Stella/Rosario works

Kim + Edman + Cesar/LaStella/Rosario… seems iffy to me

Participant

Paid - Annual

I truly hope we don’t give Schwarber any thought at all.

Depends on the money. One year at $7M or 2 yrs at $14M might work. If we thought his offense was going to rebound to 2019 numbers I would be all over that. His defense is a bit adventurous though.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Merrifield fading quickly? show me,

OBP: 18-.367, 19-.348, 20-.325
    Walk Rate: 18-8.6%, 19-6.1%, 20-4.5%
    BABIP dropped from .350 the last two years to .295 this year

He’s also almost 32. The trends are not good. Tells me his bat is slowing and he’s cheating a bit to try to keep up, pitchers have noted and are attacking him more. By 2022 he could be a 1.5 WAR player.

As for Edmwn, of course I can’t show you a full major league season as good because he doesn’t have one. But in 576 career PA he has a 110 wRC+, which is a point higher than Whit, and is 25 and making league minimum.

Like I said, I think he’s an average hitter with positional flexibility. He’ll play solid defense, hit 10-15 HRs, steal 15-20 bases…stop me if you’ve said this before. Lol. Sounds a lot like Merrifield, right? Only we get to keep Oviedo and the others or trade them for guys not on the back side of their careers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why is Rosario wearing his bathrobe outside the ballpark? 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree … I am hoping we only see Schwarber playing in St Louis wearing a visiting teams uniform!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saxon thinks the Cardinals should have Brian Goodwin on their short list of outfield candidates.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those ever intrigued by the idea of a prospect-for-prospect trade, this article offers some fodder for thought…

Would you trade Montero for one of these other prospects? I might be inclined to hold onto him for a bit longer to see if he and Gorman can race to St. Louis and maybe one of them takes over third base later in 2021.

(Note the article takes a more realistic approach and does not include the best prospects like Kiriloff, who likely are not going anywhere.)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t read Saxon, but Goodwin had 2.2 of his career 2.0 WAR in his 2019 season. It just so happened that it was the year of the rabbit ball. He doesn’t have much in the way of splits to benefit from a platoon either. I would have to question that sort of acquisition.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goodwin: pay to block our outfielders development for middling results. Hard pass.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you guys on Goodwin. To me he would rank behind Pederson, Rosario, Schwarber, and Dahl.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold’s top five free agent targets article also includes Goodwin, plus the same two in Saxon’s article (Schwarber and Dahl). Goold adds Rosario… and infielder Hanser Alberto. That one really came out of left field!

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#147162, my recent Alberto evaluation. Hat-tip to Goold for looking at needed roster roles.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Goold’s list. They would all be good fits.

Two other names I like are Howie Kendrick and Jurickson Profar, especially Profar because he can play all over the field.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would love to see them sign Profar. He had a rough start to last season but finished ridiculously strong. This is a bit of a trend for him as he’s started slow and finished hot the past few years. Has kept his K% under 15% for the past three years too.

One potential complication is it has been two full seasons since he has logged any time at 3B. That’s what happens when you play on the same team as Matt Chapman and Manny Machado. I suppose you could play Profar at second and Edman at third if Profar can’t cut it at the hot corner.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Absolutely Christopher! And he can play LF too. He would become our next Zobrist style swiss army knife.

I am not saying Profar alone is what we need but he brings a lot to the table at a modest cost.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

White Sox staying busy… What might this mean to prices for Rosario, Schwarber and Pederson?

Viewing 25 posts - 2,151 through 2,175 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years