Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 2,076 through 2,100 (of 2,172 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is the power enough to overcome other concerns already mentioned?

Participant

Paid - Annual

One of the P-D writers had an article yesterday advocating for LaStella. I don’t know, the only way Schoop or LaStella would make sense is if they are a lot cheaper than Wong otherwise it would make sense to bring Wong back since he is by far the superior defensive player.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I also read in a MLBTR chat where someone posted that if Molina doesn’t return to the Cardinals what about a straight up trade of CMart for Gary Sanchez. Who would say no?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heads up that jj posted this on the “2021 Rotation” thread just yesterday and there was some discussion about CMart and Sanchez there already.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep I just saw that. I will take my comments there on that trade idea.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just a general observation but there are some in the industry who believe there could be a flurry of activity just before and after the December 2 non-tender deadline. Some teams may want to trade potential non-tender candidates so they can get something in return and then the players that are actually non-tendered could be signed cheaper than normal by other teams. There seems to be a consensus that more players than normal will be non-tendered this year due to revenue concerns.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Drew Smyly 1 year, $11 million.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This and the Ray deal speak well to the middle of the market, at least in the early returns.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps the vaccines are giving teams a little more certainty in their models to make decisions on spending for next year. Of course, Atlanta only has $100M committed for next year anyway, even if you include Smyly. So perhaps they have more flexibility than some to begin with.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another question. Did Smyly take the rotation spot and the money that the Braves would have used on Waino? Only they know, but it could not have helped his chances there…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough break for the Padres to lose their shiny new acquisition so quickly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since we were talking Braves pitching, I found this very interesting…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say that our ‘bridge pitchers’ are Gant, Helsley, maybe Cabrera and Reyes, and possibly CMart.

I’d like to see Cabrera and Reyes get a chance to start before they get pigeonholed as ‘bridge pitchers’.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another question. Did Smyly take the rotation spot and the money that the Braves would have used on Waino? Only they know, but it could not have helped his chances there…

That is a good point. You wouldn’t think the Braves would sign two veteran free agent pitchers.

Also, I am surprised Smyly could get $11M at this time. He was ok in the abbreviated 2020 but prior to that has been ineffective or hurt for quite some time.

Would Waino want at least that much from the Cardinals? He has been every bit as good as Smyly the last two years. I doubt the Cardinals want to spend that much on him. Will there be a hometown discount?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with you overall, but not on the last point. Smyly was FANASTIC in 2020. Added 2-3 MPH to his FB. Out of this world 37.8% K rate. 2.01 FIP. 8 years younger than Waino. If I was building a roster and could take one or the other, my choice wouldn’t be Waino. Apparently, the Braves saw it the same way, and in fact, may have overpaid to get Smyly.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Smyly may have gotten the Pomeranz bump. Will he be worth the money? Perhaps not, but it’s a small gamble long-term.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Smyly’s injury history would concern me. They say there is no such thing as a bad one year deal but I am not sure that is true. Greg Holland says hello.

Based on his previous deals the last two year Waino doesn’t seem to be worried about chasing the last dollar but I am sure he also wants to feel respected.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Braves clearly don’t mind rolling the dice on short term deals. On the oft-injured veteran pitcher side, last year, it was Cole Hamels and it backfired. On the hitter side, Donaldson in 2019 and Ozuna in 2020 both paid off.

Let’s not forget that Waino has a checkered injury history as well and will turn 40 in August. The miles are going to show at some point.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

A big no to Upton. Look elsewhere. What is the non tender deadline?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The non-tender deadline is December 2.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals were dumb enough to trade for Justin Upton then someone on Clark Avenue would need their head examined. We don’t need to do anything stupid to mess up next winter’s plans.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a terrible idea. I’m not sure Adell is a sure thing, with his swing and miss issues. I would not want Upton, and I definitely wouldn’t want to give up Libby for that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This just a bunch of nonsense being talked about by a radio personality having a slow day. BTW, there’s a really cool interview with Zack Thompson by all three of the hosts at 101.1, The Fast Lane, that happened yesterday afternoon (11-19-20). Search for their website and find the recording of yesterday afternoon’s show.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, the show is nearly 3 hours long. Any idea how far into the show the Thompson interview is?

Viewing 25 posts - 2,076 through 2,100 (of 2,172 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years