Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,776 through 1,800 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Betts did well for himself to avoid having to face free agency this year. Some were saying he might have to settle for a shorter deal worth less money. I’d have taken those numbers to have him in St Louis if given the chance. Dewitt wouldn’t, though.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Given the current situation, I don’t think he would have touched 200M in FA.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think he would have touched $200M either.

This goes to show that it only takes a single owner acting like this to muck things up for everybody else. Maybe the insanity can be stopped this time by that new group of owners who want to hold the line on costs.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

It’s sure going to be a nice looking infield defensively next year with DeJong at 3B, Lindor at SS, Wong at 2B and Goldy at 1B…..

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think he would have touched $200M either.

This goes to show that it only takes a single owner acting like this to muck things up for everybody else. Maybe the insanity can be stopped this time by that new group of owners who want to hold the line on costs.

$30 million a year for one of the top 2 players in the game is insanity? Sounds like a bargain to me. Maybe if there are no fans again next year the owners can cry foul on salaries but if things get back to usual as far as fans in the seats, MLB will keep raking in the money and player salaries will keep rising.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s sure going to be a nice looking infield defensively next year with DeJong at 3B, Lindor at SS, Wong at 2B and Goldy at 1B…..

Is that your prediction? I like Lindor a lot and would love to see a trade for him. Not sure what it’d take to snag him though. Probably one of the better system prospects or a young starting quality arm.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Next year is Lindor’s last year of team control. Would the Cardinals give up a ton of prospects for one guaranteed year?

Speaking of prospects why would the Cardinals move DeJong to 3B and block the plethora of 3B prospects coming up through the system? Sure, some of them may move to another position or DH but not all of them can. I am talking about Gorman, Montero, Nunez, and Walker.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of prospects why would the Cardinals move DeJong to 3B and block the plethora of 3B prospects coming up through the system? Sure, some of them may move to another position or DH but not all of them can. I am talking about Gorman, Montero, Nunez, and Walker.

I’d say the Cards would be more likely to move Dejong to 2nd if they move on from Wong after his contract is up and they have a passable SS backup.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is DeJong nimble enough to play 2B at a high level? Carpenter could play it, too; he just doesn’t have the physical attributes to excel there.

Wouldn’t Edman be the logical replacement choice at second?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is DeJong nimble enough to play 2B at a high level? Carpenter could play it, too; he just doesn’t have the physical attributes to excel there.

Wouldn’t Edman be the logical replacement choice at second?

So where does Dejong go? Dejong plays SS at a high level, so I’m not sure why he couldn’t play 2B passably. I was going off the original idea that Lindor was playing SS, Gorman (or another young guy) at 3B and Wong moves on.

Edman is still a mystery man to me. If he’s the .300/.350/.500 guy he was in the stretch run, he’s an All Star and needs to find a spot. But we’ve seen the new guys start hot and fizzle act before (Grichuk, Piscotty, Diaz, etc) so I won’t get too excited until he backs up his stellar start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think it pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin of any Lindor trade idea – unless people support including DeJong or Wong in the trade. (And since Wong’s contract will also soon be up, what would Cleveland gain by taking him instead of keeping Lindor?) But that is just my opinion…

I agree the jury is still out on Edman, but the next 60 games should give us a better idea. I doubt the Cards would let Wong walk, but if they were to consider trading him, this coming winter would seem to be the time.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cleveland has been wanting to move some payroll for some time now. They don’t have the attendance numbers that some other teams have even when they themselves are winning. If our FO could put together a package that would not set us back in the long run, I’d be fine with trading for Lindor if for only one year. Then, if the FO wants to make him an offer after one year, I’d be fine with that, too. Move Dejong to third base and worry about the other third baseman that are in the pipeline later.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

A Lindor trade would move DeJong to 3B at least in the short term, because Gorman likely wouldn’t be ready to take over there long term until at least 2022 and likely 2023 with this basically lost season from a development standpoint.

Trading for Lindor shouldn’t be with the hopes of a 1 year rental, after next year, at the same time Lindor becomes a FA, the Cardinals won’t have Fowler and Carpenter on the books for 2022, so a long term deal with him is definitely feasible.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d imagine the idea of adding a long term, big $$ contract for Lindor will depend on how confident the team is about ponying up for Flaherty when his contract comes due.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This organization is not giving Flaherty, or any other player, a $400M contract, so why worry about it?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25,
    Arenado has 6/199mil on his current contract, 2021 – 2026. What would you estimate Lindors 2021-26 potential salary as “one of the top two players in the game”?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If CMart would be traded this offseason, that would be $11.7M off the books for 2021, $17M for $2022, and $18M for 2022. If Yadi leaves, that’s another $20 off the books, plus possibly, $10M for Wainwright. It’s looking like the Cardinals will have a relatively cheap rotation, bullpen, and outfield for the next 3-5 years. Just sayin’…..

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25,
    Arenado has 6/199mil on his current contract, 2021 – 2026. What would you estimate Lindors 2021-26 potential salary as “one of the top two players in the game”?

My comment above about the top two players was in reference to Betts, fwiw.

I’d think Lindor would be in line for something similar to Arenado. Maybe a little less just due to the economic impact of this year on the game. So perhaps $30-32M a year over 7-8 years as a contract.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If CMart would be traded this offseason, that would be $11.7M off the books for 2021, $17M for $2022, and $18M for 2022. If Yadi leaves, that’s another $20 off the books, plus possibly, $10M for Wainwright. It’s looking like the Cardinals will have a relatively cheap rotation, bullpen, and outfield for the next 3-5 years. Just sayin’…..

I really don’t see any of those things happening. CMart will be back next year, Yadi will be back for at least $10M, Wainwright will probably be back on an incentivized plan, Wong’s option will be picked up, Andrew Miller’s option will vest, plus Carp and Fowler will be back. The Cardinals aren’t going to see any payroll relief until 2022.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They need to open up some rotation space for Gomber, Reyes, and maybe Cabrera and Ponce de Leon. I can’t say it will happen, but if the Angels could get their hands on Yadi, he just might be the piece that takes them to the promised land. Wainwright scared the dickens out of me yesterday. If he got into that second inning kind of trouble with the Twins, I think they would have messed him up. Who doesn’t want Wong back? Andrew Miller had a few very good outings in ST and camp. Let’s see what he can do for the rest of this year. It seems pretty unlikely that either Carpenter or Fowler is back in 2022, although the DH does change things for Carpenter. It’s hard to imagine the Cardinals taking on a contract like Arenado’s, but I thought the same thing when those $25M+ contracts started happening in MLB. And darned if they didn’t give Goldschmidt $26M/yr.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Miller had a few very good outings in ST and camp. Let’s see what he can do for the rest of this year.

As long as he hits his appearances target (which he surely will) he is locked into next year at $12M.

I can’t say it will happen, but if the Angels could get their hands on Yadi, he just might be the piece that takes them to the promised land. Wainwright scared the dickens out of me yesterday.

I would be very surprised if Yadi doesn’t finish his career in St. Louis.

It seems pretty unlikely that either Carpenter or Fowler is back in 2022, although the DH does change things for Carpenter.

Fowler definitely won’t be. Carp could be. It depends if his option vests or not or if they could negotiate a cheaper deal. Hopefully Gorman is ready to go by then.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, the Angels ought to offer Yadi something like 2 yrs, $45M. That would take the Cardinals out of the bidding. Yadi has gotten his weight down and is said to be in as good a shape as he has ever been. Today he picked a runner off first and threw a runner out trying to steal. If he went to Anaheim and stabilized their pitching staff, and the Angels went deep into the postseason, that would generate a whole lot of big market publicity for him which would pretty much guarantee him the HOF. The unknown is how much it would hurt the Cardinals. But an infield of Goldschmidt, Wong, DeJong, and Arenado is definitely something to dream on.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud said

if the Angels could get their hands on Yadi, he just might be the piece that takes them to the promised land.

I think he could help them, but the Angels finished 35 games out of first last season. They will need a lot more than a 39 year old catcher.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, if Yadi is looking for your 2/45mil, or even 2/40mil, I think he’s in his last season as a Cardinal.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,776 through 1,800 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.