Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,551 through 1,575 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, the writer got that wrong although you never know when Mo is going to issue another unnecessary internal contract.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

National baseball writers “try” I’m sure, and they probably appeal to rookie fans. To those of us who follow a team closely and could have an intellectual conversation (right or wrong) about any player or prospect, we just have to laugh at them.

On a serious note, they can’t go to camp with all of these OF’s and expect to give them all a real chance right? I still think at least one will be on the move…..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CFICT said:

On a serious note, they can’t go to camp with all of these OF’s and expect to give them all a real chance right? I still think at least one will be on the move…..

Well, they already moved Adolis Garcia, but I get your point about trading another. Ah, but which one? And what if they are wrong? Never mind. This is such a forgiving fan base. 😉

This backlog of OF candidates is a contributing reason why I keep saying that Carlson’s time may not come quite yet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

National baseball writers “try” I’m sure, and they probably appeal to rookie fans. To those of us who follow a team closely and could have an intellectual conversation (right or wrong) about any player or prospect, we just have to laugh at them.

Chitown, I agree with this most of the time but the offseason can be so boring sometimes we just have get less picky about what we discuss. There is no way the national writers who have to write about 30 teams are going to know as much as those who cover one team all the time, or at least in theory that is the way it works. Some of the Cardinal beat writers seem pretty clueless to me most of the time but not the folks on this board. I would put most of the posters on this board against about anyone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, they already moved Adolis Garcia, but I get your point about trading another. Ah, but which one? And what if they are wrong? Never mind. This is such a forgiving fan base. 😉

I would say this fan base is no worse than that of most of big teams with high expectations. Yankee, Red Sox, Phillie, and Cub fans can be brutal. And the media in those cities are much more unforgiving than the media in STL.

I would also add that Mo and his crew are probably paid handsomely to get these decisions right, at least more often than not. That is their job.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I might get a few stink eyes out of this, but the one I’d put out there on the market is Bader. He’s proven that he can put up 2 WAR from his glove alone which makes him attractive, unfortunately, the Cardinals don’t have a lineup that can support a bat as weak as his. The second (which I feel they need to deal two) is JMart of course.

Bader could still bring back a decent piece, and the Rockies could potentially have interest, the massive OF at Coors would be perfect for him, and he would be hitting XBH’s all over that park. In 500 AB’s, he would lead the league in triples in land slide fashion! For JMart, I think the Rangers might be a decent fit, they have been known to be looking for a RHH OF type, and Choo’s contract is up after this year. JMart has 2 years of cheap control after this year I believe….. however, he just wouldn’t bring anything sexy back.

Bader, Gant and Ponce to the Rockies for: Ryan Rolison and PJ Poulin
    JMart to the Rangers for: Owen White

– Cards end up with four 40 man spots open, one very good prospect (Rolison) and two wild cards.
    – Weiters can be resigned immediately
    – Fowler (sadly), Thomas in CF and O’neill, Arozarena, Edman?, Carlson or low hanging fruit for LF
    – In losing Gant and Ponce, the BP will still have: Gallegos, Helsley, JFern, Miller, Brebbia, Webb, Cecil (loud chuckle as a type that), CMart/Kim, Whitley, Gomber, Elledge, Ramirez, Reyes, etc.
    – In losing Ponce, the rotation will still have options: JF, Mikolas, Kim/CMart, Hudson, Waino, Helsley, Gomber, Woodford, Reyes

Someone please call Mo and let him know TCN figured this out for him……

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman starts somewhere…he is our most effective offensive player.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman starts somewhere…he is our most effective offensive player.

Colorado??

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Edman will be the Cards starting 2B…… in 2022.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

That may happen but he will start somewhere else until then.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Don’t hold your breath on that. Fowler has RF, Bader CF, Goldschmidt 1B, Wong 2B, DeJong SS, Carpenter 3B, Molina C. That leaves LF. I predict one of the true OFs play there.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Friday Morning Breaking News: Cardinals resign Weiters to back up Yadi for 2020, you heard it from CFICT first!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Alex Wood to Dodgers for 4M …. 😢😢

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know, you didn’t say which Friday.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

CC, it’ll be one of these Fridays….. hah.

Weiters knows the staff, put up decent numbers for a backup, is a switch hitter and most importantly, Knizner would be better served playing everyday in Memphis vs sitting on the bench. In any situation where there is a double header, Molina goes to the DL, a couple of weeks without a day off, etc, then bringing Knizner up to make a few starts would be a no brainer. This is in no way stating that I don’t think Knizner doesn’t have a bright future and couldn’t do the job.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Just thinking out loud.

If Weiters comes back and with the addition of Hernandez it looks like the Cards are closing in on a deal for Knizner. MIN has the worse catching corps in the ALC and could use a MLB-ready C. I checked around their top-30 prospects for a couple of prospects to fill in some spots at lower levels.
    Something like this:

#6 Keoni Cavaco SS 18 y.o. 6’2″ ETA 2023 GCL 1st rd. pick in ’19.

#7 Wander Javier SS 21 y.o. 6’1″ ETA 2020 adv-A

One of these should be available and we need mid-infielders at the lower levels.

Plus #30 Ben Rortvedt C 22 y.o. 5’10” ETA 2021 AA LHB 2nd rd. 2016

We need backup catching prospects at that level. Knizner is done with AAA and he should be on a MLB team’s roster. And we gain a spot on the 40-man roster.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Honest question. How is Hernandez this year different from Joe Hudson last year and all the Triple-A journeymen they had in Memphis every season before that?

I am not discouraging Knizner trade talk. I just question how much/little Hernamdez matters.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Well some feel Knizner should be at AAA. Now they’ve acquired Hernandez. That says something to me. Its just that some moves lead to others. JRodriguez at Memphis also?

Knizner really doesn’t belong in St.Louis (not enough ABs) or Memphis (been there done that). Time to move on.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It says to me that Knizner and Hernandez will probably be the catchers at Memphis, just like Knizner and Hudson were last year. (I don’t think Knizner would be hurt developmentally with more Triple-A time. On that point, we will have to disagree.)

Now, if Knizner was traded or they did not re-sign Wieters (or equivalent), they would probably use Godoy or Rodriguez at Memphis instead, but they always seem to want a grizzled veteran guy to go with the young catcher. It has been that way every year for as long as I can recall.

Again, I can see arguments to trade Knizner. I just don’t see Hernandez being there or not having much of anything to do with it. If it isn’t Hernandez, then it is going to be someone else.

What potentially damages Knizner is Wieters, not the Triple-A backup guy at Memphis.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just wondering here. Now that the hammer has been laid down on the Astros would any of their players come forth and openly request a trade?

r/Rat

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Hopefully Yadi resigns, but hopefully it’s after he’s technically a FA. I don’t understand how Hernandez plays into this at all, other than being the starter in Memphis when Knizner is in STL? He’s the typical depth piece they always get, nothing less, nothing more.

Lot’s of assuming here, but let’s say Yadi resigns for a year or two in Nov 2020, then I definitely see Knizner being moved next offseason for a very nice return. With Herrera likely at AA or potentially even ready for AAA at that point it’s a move they can make, just like Kelly when Knizner was ready.

However, with so many unknowns regarding Yadi (contract, the unfortunate father time, etc), Knizner is an asset that is highly needed and very valuable to the Cards for 2020, even if he is in Memphis.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I want to know if Matt Carpenter can play a serviceable left field. I think he can. If so, then let’s get a deal done with the Tribe. (Sorry, 14NyquisT. But, as they say ‘No pain. No gain.’) Edman, O’Neill, Knizner, and Gant for Lindor. Now before I get hammered for expecting this would be enough to get Lindor, let me say that, IMHO, I don’t think he’ll bring much more than that. For one thing, he’s a rental, and for another, there very few teams that are prioritizing shortstop and can afford Lindor.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think Carp can run around out there and probably field well, but i dont trust his awkward throwing mechanics to translate well. I think we all watched in pain at how Ozuna threw the ball from LF i think we may not be able to handle Carp out there

I think Castellenos is a better fit and with the added comp pick, it’s getting tougher and tougher to consider Ozuna except on a 1yr pillow deal for low money.

I have more confidence in Castellenos being better in the OF than Carp going out there for almost the first time…Castellenos has shown improvement and is 3yrs on the right side of 30

still…if it meant Arenado at 3b and we had to find a place for him…sure try LF…as i see no playing time without injury elsewhere for him….

I prefer Arenado to Lindor…at least with the loss of prospects for Arenado we would have a chance of him NOT opting out…which to me would be very high given the size of his contract already… Lindor is two years and we know he will be gone…i doubt he doesnt look at FA and go to the highest bidder at his age in 2 yrs…

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Anyone know what Castellanos is looking for contract wise? JD Martinez got 22 mill/yr after starring for the Tigers here upnorth. Not sure what that 22 mill is worth today, but I would think Castellanos would require less in today’s value as Martinez was a much better hitter IMHO. Martinez was a better defender in the outfield too!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Back in November Fangraphs projected him at 4 years/$56M. I would do that in a heartbeat.

Nick Castellanos, RF/LF, Age 28
    Contract Estimate
    Type Years AAV Total
    Kiley McDaniel 4 $14.0 M $56.0 M
    Median Crowdsource 4 $14.0 M $56.0 M
    Avg Crowdsource 3.71 $14.2 M $52.4 M
    2020 Steamer Projections
    PA BB% K% AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ Off Def WAR
    608 7.0% 22.5% .275 .331 .489 .342 111 8.7 -15.4 1.4
    Kiley’s Take
    Castellanos is very young for a free agent bat, so he may get a longer-term deal than his track record would suggest. Still, he’s posted a -28 DRS and -17.6 UZR in two full seasons as a corner outfielder, and if teams think that is his true talent level in the field, they may not be comfortable with whatever his glove will be in 2023.

Player Notes
    You won’t see teams paying Castellanos big money for his .321/.356/.646 line with the Cubs, but his late-season resurgence in Chicago after a bland half-year in Detroit helped to re-establish his offensive value. The difference between a 120-plus wRC+ and a 110 wRC+ for a player with glove as weak as Castellanos’ is the difference between a DH-only role and being someone whose bat may be just enough to compensate for his poor defense if put in the right situation. Baseball doesn’t have much appetite for non-star, corner outfielders or first basemen these days, but Castellanos’ case is helped by his signing not coming with the loss of a draft pick. – DS

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

Viewing 25 posts - 1,551 through 1,575 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.