Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 1,806 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why the reluctance at Eovaldi? sure he makes a bit of money and wasn’t super healthy but we are looking for an arm on the market

I think you answered your own question. He makes a lot of money and he has been injured.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mud, Going year to year could enhance a player’s productivity but it is hard to prove, however, there is much more data supporting the idea that age does impact productivity, in a negative way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar – I get it. I just wish someone could come up with a way to avoid getting screwed over by players who sign big contracts, or big extensions, then don’t deliver what they (tacitly) promised. IMO, Mikolas is giving all he’s got. But Carpenter?….and Goldschmidt? I think much of the Fowler hate is there because fans sense that he’s not playing up to the best of his ability.

Participant

Free

I think that it’s to early to view Goldschmidt as not living up to their potential, in a lot of guys signing with new teams the first year or so they underperform before they find their footing and are back to their normal output so I’m not ready to view his signing as being in the same category as Fowler or Carpenter just yet…

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IT doesn’t matter how much i like or dont like Eovaldi really… it is how much DO i like Mookie Betts…enough to gamble on Eovaldi being productive in the NL for a couple years and our kids making up any slack?

With our history of convincing players to stay after they are here briefly (Holliday and Goldy…Heyward was close) I might gamble on a winning season and the Cardinals history and history …as well as an enormous paycheck…getting Betts to stay….and for that I’d gamble on Eovaldi being decent enough to fill a rotation spot with our depth in young starters

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Guaranteed contracts are so wonderful for baseball IMO…it levels the playing field a bit…big market teams can go out and spend their big money and they could end up suffering because of it if their investments don’t pan out…it works the same for the smaller markets too…but they are more selective about their jumps into the market… players are forced to evaluate whether they want money or an address…or a culture or friends or a championship..or whatever…and they can choose what is most valuable to them…and their greed can backfire on them if they think that is what they want and go to the highest bidder but are on a bad team or a team that doesnt invest in anyone else around them…

in the end…guaranteed contracts protect the players (thee workers) from the big business around them looking for any way to devalue or control them and pay them less…it forces the big business to gamble on people…and they can’t get out of it…they are forced to own up to their mistakes and answer questions about their decisions…and see the effects of their poor planning or good planning… I think a lot of big business can hide their failures, including baseball, but with guaranteed contracts they can only blame the players so much for the failures….because THEY were the ones that handed them out…and we all know it

Participant

Paid - Annual

I want Betts too. I just don’t think we should have to take on Eovaldi to get it done. Eovaldi’s $51M left on his contract just has albatross written all over it. We already have enough of those.

Besides this is all probably a moot point anyway. I am not convinced Boston will move Betts right now. He might be more of a July trade. Even if they did move him now I doubt the Cardinals will do it. They have given no indication they have an appetite to add $27M to the payroll this year.

The more logical move is adding someone like Corey Dickerson. I think Brian first mentioned his name and I have heard three different MLB Radio broadcasters in recent days mention him as a good fit for the Cardinals.

Participant

Free

I would love Betts also, but not by taking on Eovaldi. Mo/DeWitt have already stated they won’t be raising payroll, although I think $175-180 should be a realistic minimum number for 2020, that would be stretching DeWitts wallet probably to far.

If they could get the Red Sox to take the following:

Fowler – OF replacement, reduces their “cap hit” by roughly 10M
    JMart – Could use him as their DH without a catastrophic fall off, and would allow them to move JD Martinez and shed as much of his salary as possible – Save $15M off “cap hit”?
    Arozarena or O’neill – A young OF with potential and team control
    Ponce – Cost controlled SP, they desperately need cost controlled SP’s or use him in their weak BP
    Gant – They need all of the BP help they can get

Would they go for the above deal? Absolutely not, but it could be a starting point and lead to opportunities for them getting under their target number.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I would consider that package offered to be “underwater”. A bunch of “meh”s and Fowler’s terrible deal. I’d give up Martinez, ponce, gant, and one of Garcia, Williams, or Capel to anyone with Fowler just to clear the space, both financially and the 40 man

Participant

Paid - Annual

We could have used Wheeler. We could have used Hamels. We could have used Bundy. We could have used Marisnick. The names will keep being acquired by other teams….. not us.

Participant

Free

Hamels is the only one that I wanted at the price.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

It is amusing how our wealth of set starters and depth make this whole process so frustrating. I can’t think of a single outfielder signed or traded so far that I would rather have than Justin Willams, and he is little more than an afterthought.
    We still haven’t eliminated Carlos as a starter, so anyone you sign now would need to be significantly better than Hudson.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I didn’t see the Madbum thread already started.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

Something to make Cardinals fans a little less upset about the Cardinals unwillingness to increase payroll, consider this.

1) The Cubbies are paying Darvish, Heyward, Lester and Kimbrel $79M in 2020.
    2) The Cubbies are paying Darvish, Heyward, Lester and Kimbrel $69M in 2021. (assumes they B/O Lester)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, the Cubs are boxed in payroll wise too although the difference is that they are willing to go up to and beyond $200M. The Cardinals are not.

Participant

Free

GScottar, I was trying to bring the mood up, you brought it back down to reality!

Another good thing for Cards fans, I’ve heard 2nd hand, but from an extremely reliable source, that there is an 75% chance Bryant will be gone by opening day and 99.9% by the trade deadline regardless of how they are doing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this idea…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is another fake trade, proposed by CBS’ Mike Axisa.

Francisco Lindor for Paul DeJong, Tommy Edman, and Tyler O’Neill

I doubt the Cards want two years of Lindor enough to give up six years of DeJong plus six years of Edman plus five years of O’Neill.

17 years of control for two? Uh, no.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-2019-eight-bold-predictions-including-a-francisco-lindor-trade-and-two-huge-signings/

Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t seen or heard of a realistic trade involving Lindor. The rumor that the Dodgers have offered Laux and May for Lindor doesn’t sound to me like a proposal that will go anywhere. The Cardinals could put together a nice package without including Carlson or Gorman, but the Indians no doubt want both of them in a package for Lindor. I’m thinking that the problem for Cleveland is that there is no conceivable trade that would make them feel okay about losing their prized shortstop even though they’re going to lose him in two year’s anyway.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no interest in Pollock but I do have interest in Pederson.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lindor trade i like but without Edman…swap Munoz + pitching prospect…Fagalde?
    so:
    Lindor
    for
    DeJong, ONeill, Munoz, Fagalde

then:
    Marte
    for
    Knizner + Nunez/Randy + Oviedo/Seijas/Woodford

then:
    Fowler + 1/2 salary + Randy/AdGarcia/Williams
    for
    David Peralta

sign MadBum 5yr 120mil
    sign Romine or Wieters (i’d prefer Romine)
    sign another catcher (to minor league ST invite like deal)

Jack, MadBum, Hud, Mik, Waino
    CMart, Gallegos, Miller, Gant, Brebbia, Helsley, Junior, Webb
    Wong, Marte, Lindor, Goldy, Carp, Yadi, Peralta, Lane/Bader
    Romine, Edman, Lane/Bader, JMart, Sosa

Participant

Paid - Annual

That would be a strong team jager but if my math is correct it would add $53.65 million to the current payroll of $160 million for a total of $213.65 million, which would put us over the luxury tax.

Lindor- $17m add
    Marte- $11.5m add
    Peralta- $9m add
    Madbum- $24m add
    Wieters- $2m add

DeJong- $1.6m subtract
    Fowler (50%)- $8.25m subtract

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Let Jags dream, it is what he does best.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 1,806 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years