Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good article.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another very good trade deadline piece.

10. What will the Brewers and Cardinals do?

The Brewers sure do not look like buyers – they’ve lost 17 of their past 26 games, all against clubs with records currently below .500. Their rotation ranks 19th in the majors with a 4.71 ERA. Their once-vaunted bullpen has allowed – gasp – 28 runs in the past five games. Owner Mark Attanasio is not the type to sell, but the Brewers should at least consider reshuffling, starting with a trade of All-Star catcher Yasmani Grandal, a potential free agent.

The enigmatic Cardinals face greater urgency as they try to avoid missing the postseason for the fourth straight year, a streak that would be their longest since 1988 to ’95. The team’s recent trade record has been spotty, but the Cardinals have pieces they can move – one rival executive says they are open to dealing an outfielder such as Tyler O’Neill or Lane Thomas and even closer Carlos Martinez, who is pitching well but earning $11.5 million per season through 2021.

Trading Martinez would seemingly be counter-productive with closer Jordan Hicks out for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, but the idea might be to reconfigure the roster and acquire one or more relievers in the process. All options should be in play for a team that has been largely a disappointment, but the bottom line remains the same: If Paul Goldschmidt and Matt Carpenter don’t start hitting, the season will be a lost cause.

3. What will the Cubs do?

Before getting too comfy, Cubs players might want to study Theo Epstein’s deadline history. The four-team extravaganza that shipped out Nomar Garciaparra and brought Doug Mientkiewicz and Orlando Cabrera to Boston in 2004. The three-team doozy that yielded a Manny Ramirez-for-Jason Bay exchange in 2008. And of course, the Eloy Jiménez/Dylan Cease-for-José Quintana All-Star break shocker in 2017.

The Cubs, coming off a weekend sweep of the Pirates, lead the NL Central by 2 1/2 games. But judging from his recent public comments, Epstein seems restless – with his players, with manager Joe Maddon, with practically everything Cubs. The question is, who would Epstein and his longtime associate Jed Hoyer trade if they genuinely wanted to shake up the team?

Kyle Schwarber is perhaps the most obvious candidate, but the return probably would not be great for a below-average defensive left fielder who is batting .229 with a .790 OPS. Rival execs fantasize about Kris Bryant becoming available, and it eventually could happen – Bryant will be a free agent after 2021, and might or might not have already turned down a $200 million extension, depending upon which reports you believe.

Still, Bryant ranks eighth in the majors in fWAR, and is almost the equivalent of two or three players with his ability to handle multiple positions. It’s virtually impossible to imagine the Cubs being better without him, no matter who they might acquire in return.

We know Epstein and Hoyer are not afraid to swing big. Maybe they will stun us again. Or maybe, after signing free-agent closer Craig Kimbrel, they will simply work around the edges, seeking more modest upgrades.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This article mentions the supposed asking price for Merrifield.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading Martinez would seemingly be counter-productive with closer Jordan Hicks out for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, but the idea might be to reconfigure the roster and acquire one or more relievers in the process.

If the idea is to sell or if you think you can sucker a team into taking a hurt Cmart, then I guess it makes some sense. I don’t really see what you gain by trading Cmart to “acquire one or more relievers.” Are you going to get a reliever or even two relievers as good as Carlos? IMO if someone blows you away with an offer, sure. Otherwise, keep him.

(In my mind a “blow away” offer would be something like Alex Kiriloff from the Twins, Yordan Alvarez from the Astros or one of the Braves, As or Padres young arms. Anything less would be just giving away a valuable piece for below market value)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see the need to trade CMart. Actually I think this team would be better off if he was a starter. We don’t know when Hicks will be back next year if at all so hopefully we can acquire another reliever in the offseason and put CMart back in the rotation.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see the need to trade CMart. Actually I think this team would be better off if he was a starter. We don’t know when Hicks will be back next year if at all so hopefully we can acquire another reliever in the offseason and put CMart back in the rotation.

Agreed. I personally think Carlos’ injury and lack of availability as a starter was the first and biggest personnel dysfunction of the year and set the tone for some pitching issues right from the start. Cmart-Mikolas-Flaherty-Hudson-Waino is a solid rotation and would allow them to put Wacha or Ponce in the long man role that might suit them better. I’m hoping it’s in the plans for 2020 and also agree with you that finding another reliever would be a priority for me.

I was simply saying that if a Cmart trade were to happen, it had better be a wild overpay, not one that brings back “one or two relievers.”

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Cubs traded with Royals for Maldonado or close to that while we do nothing…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maldonado is just a backup catcher. Not a big deal really.

The Cubs will make bigger moves than that during the next 15 days.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs will make bigger moves than that during the next 15 days

You think they have some voodoo magic? What can they really trade for any impact talent unless it’s off the MLB roster?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You think they have some voodoo magic? What can they really trade for any impact talent unless it’s off the MLB roster?

They have a few minor leaguers that might have some value such as Alzolay, Hoerner, and Happ. They also might have to trade from the MLB roster. Perhaps Schwarber, Almora, or Edwards.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They have a few minor leaguers that might have some value such as Alzolay, Hoerner, and Happ. They also might have to trade from the MLB roster. Perhaps Schwarber, Almora, or Edwards.

Fair enough. They do seem to get teams to throw useful players at them for spare parts so I thought maybe you figured they could pull the trick again. Teams always seem to want our best players for *their* spare parts. It’s frustrating.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks for the article on Whit!

3 big league ready players, we can do that, just depends on the value of each one they want

Reyes, Genesis, Helsley, Gomber, Ponce, Wacha, Woodford
    JMart, Wong, Fowler, Munoz
    Oneill, Thomas, Randy, AdGarcia, Ravelo, Bader

All those guys are ready to go…not all are impact, or of interest to the Royals, but several of them could be very useful

plus we still have some prospects farther down which could make it work

Whit is getting paid roughly 4mil per year…that is nothign for even half the production he is providing…

They are looking to deal Hamilton, and Diekman too…not to mention probably Duffy and Soler…perhaps we can take on Hamilton (only 1yr deal) to help with the cost too (not that the cubs coudlnt do the same)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VEB makes the case for acquiring a groundball pitcher.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/7/17/20697248/should-the-cardinals-get-grounded

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stroman would be an interesting candidate, albeit a pricey one. If we could include some of our OF depth, it might be worth it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Giants will be interesting to watch the next week or two. While everyone has assumed they would be big sellers they have been on a rampage and now are only a couple of games out of the wild card.

I figure they probably will end up selling but they are giving their front office something to think about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have been talking about ways to upgrade the offense but having a difficult time in finding a starter to displace with the possible exception of 2B or CF. It occurs to me that this team is going to need an upgrade at 3B but how do we do it?

Well I don’t know if it will be possible in the next two weeks but it is something that needs to happen this winter. Who fits the best? Rendon would be great but he will be too costly and want too many years. I think the best fit would be Moustakas. We could probably get him on a two year deal, he puts up similar numbers that Ozuna does but will be much cheaper and gives us the LH power bat that we don’t have. It also means O’Neill could play everyday in LF since we wouldn’t bring Ozuna back.

What does this mean for Carp? It means that he would become our super utility guy, a Zobrist type. He could fill in at 3B, 2B, and 1B as needed. He also would need to learn how to handle the corner OF spots on occasion. If he could play those five positions plus pinch hitting duty he could end up with 250-300 AB’s. $18M is a lot to pay for a utility guy but so be it.

What does this mean for Gorman? Not much really. If we could get Moose on a two year deal that should coincide nicely with Gorman’s arrival.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moose is 30 already and will cost probably 10+M a year? I’ll pass. His last four years have netted 0.8, 1.9, 2.5 and 3.0 WAR this season, so it’s clear that 2019 is an outlier. We’d be just as well off betting on Carpenter to bounce back after 3.5, 2.9, 4.9 and 0.3 seasons from 16-19. I’m not interested in making him a pure backup just yet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

People have been dissing Moose for years now but he continues to put up big power numbers. Kudos to the Brewers for figuring this out and getting him cheap.

Are there any 3B rentals out there that could be an upgrade over Carp for the next two months?

Pablo Sandoval?
    Asdrubal Cabrera?
    Todd Frazier?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I don’t want to give up future pennants for the outside chance of winning one this year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine any of those guys offer more upside than Carpenter. If you really think Carp is shot, then I guess you find a way to get him out of the lineup…but the Fowler, Pham, Voit situations last year should be caution against making rash decisions.

Jmart, Wong, maybe Fowler or Bader are the guys I’d look to potentially move.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp has demonstrated over a fairly large sample size this year and half of last year that his offense has dwindled down to alarming levels, not to mention the fact that his defense is a decided negative. So if he can’t hit and can’t field what exactly is he bringing to the lineup? I am not saying we eat the contract and move him. I am saying he should now be a utility player.

I can’t imagine any of the three potential rentals I mentioned would cost us future pennants as their acquisition costs should be minimal.

As for Moose his traditional stat line so far this year is .267 avg., 25HR and 55 rbi. Not to mention he can actually throw the ball from third to first. I would take two years of that before Gorman is ready.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of the three you listed, *maybe* Frazier is better than Carp at his worst. Why trade even a low prospect for that?

As far as Moose, this year may end up his second year in his career better than Carpenter’s average season. Miller Park is a known hitter’s haven so the bust factor is high, IMO. I’m not saying he’s terrible but thus far I’m not convinced that $30M for Moose+Carp is worth it vs $18M for Carp+Edman with Montero possibly a year away.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think all three of those players have better offensive numbers than Carp this year and we know they are better defensively. You might be assuming that this season is a fluke for Carp. I’m not so sure about that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A lot of teams are stuck in the middle and my guess is that the volume of actual trades of difference-maker players will be low across MLB.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.