Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2023 Top 50 Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 491 total)
  • Author
    Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Did we not read Bob’s post. We are talking Anthony Garcia-type numbers. For those unfamiliar to the reference, Garcia was the catching equivalent to Oscar Taveras when he burst on the scene. Garcia eventually played OF briefly with the A’s, but point is Oscar Taveras from the catching position…plus a switch hitter.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

#8 – Cooper Hjerpe — LHP
    #9 – Zack Thompson — LHP

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

8. McGreevy

9. Thompson

14NyquisT
    Participant

#8 McGravy
    #9 Hjerpe

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

McGreevey
    Bernal

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

#8 Thompson
    #9 McGreevy

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did we not read Bob’s post. We are talking Anthony Garcia-type numbers. For those unfamiliar to the reference, Garcia was the catching equivalent to Oscar Taveras when he burst on the scene. Garcia eventually played OF briefly with the A’s, but point is Oscar Taveras from the catching position…plus a switch hitter.

It’s an impressive start, but it’s not unprecedented. Ivan Herrera was only a few months older when he put up a 136 wRC+ at Low A in 2019. I like Bernal in the low to mid teens, given the small sample size.

bccran
    Participant

This is a close one. By my count we have so far –

McGreevey –
    4 #8 votes
    3 #9 votes

Thompson –
    4 #8 votes
    2 #9 votes

Hjerpe –
    2 #8 votes
    2 #9 votes

Bernal –
    2 #9 votes

Paniagua –
    1 #9 vote

We need some more votes to break a photo finish.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#8 Thompson
    #9 Mcgreevy

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

8 Thompson
    9 Bernal

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“It’s an impressive start, but it’s not unprecedented. Ivan Herrera was only a few months older when he put up a 136 wRC+ at Low A in 2019. I like Bernal in the low to mid teens, given the small sample size.”

That’s a (mostly) fair point, 25. But Leo Bernal was in fact more than eight months younger at the same level. And eight-plus months is a pretty big deal, a much bigger deal when we’re talking teenage prospects than, say, 22 and 23-year-olds.

And although you’re quite right that his entire season was a modest sample size, that pushes him from the 3rd-best Redbird prospect to the 5th. But no lower. Because the 18-year-old Bernal has two things in his favor that Ivan Herrera did not at the same stage of development. Bernal has (1)real present power, and (2)overwhelmingly positive home/road splits — the latter of which has meaning to me, as Roger Dean Stadium is of course notoriously hitter-unfriendly. That double advantage for Leonardo can be summed up in one stat:

Away from Roger Dean, Leo’s isolated slugging was .363. So Bernal at #8. Jonathan Mejia at #9.

And thanks very much for the kind words, Nigel. (I think you’re thinking of Daric Barton, though. He’s the guy who had one terrific season for the Oakland A’s, around 6 WAR if memory serves, and then faded oddly and was completely washed up by his late 20’s.)

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

8 – C Hjerpe
    9 – M McGreevy

PadsFS
    Participant

8 Michael McGreevy
    9 Cooper Hjerpe

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

8 Thompson
    9 Mcgreevy

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

8. Mcgreevy
    9. Hjerpe

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“It’s an impressive start, but it’s not unprecedented. Ivan Herrera was only a few months older when he put up a 136 wRC+ at Low A in 2019. I like Bernal in the low to mid teens, given the small sample size.”

That’s a (mostly) fair point, 25. But Leo Bernal was in fact more than eight months younger at the same level. And eight-plus months is a pretty big deal, a much bigger deal when we’re talking teenage prospects than, say, 22 and 23-year-olds.

And although you’re quite right that his entire season was a modest sample size, that pushes him from the 3rd-best Redbird prospect to the 5th. But no lower. Because the 18-year-old Bernal has two things in his favor that Ivan Herrera did not at the same stage of development. Bernal has (1)real present power, and (2)overwhelmingly positive home/road splits — the latter of which has meaning to me, as Roger Dean Stadium is of course notoriously hitter-unfriendly. That double advantage for Leonardo can be summed up in one stat:”

3. Bernal at this stage is already advanced enough defensively to be a defensive catcher in a pinch at the upper levels. Defense wasn’t Herrera’s best tool.
    4. Bernal is a switch hitter (and a good one so far) at a key position.

If we are concerned with production at the minor league level being in a small sample size, then why are any picks that haven’t even played at the minor league level one inning even getting votes? Not being a smart aleck, just making a statement.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Slidinlefty, it is much easier tô Project college pitchers than 18 y.o. Dominicana. Even 18 year olds that have extensíve records in showcases are hard tô project.

What is the source that Benal is that good defensively?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nigel, Anthony Garcia proves the point. Projection at that age is hard. If there is evidence that he is a defensive stalwart as well it would definately up my ranking which hás already gone from high teens tô low teens based on Bob Reed’s enforcement.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bernal then McGreasy for me.

As I’d mentioned before, I think McGreevy is the typical “Mo trade chip”. Hopefully he can be wrapped up with a Yepez type and we get a new ace for Christmas!

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Off the Cardinals website…
    Bernal has a long road of development ahead of him. His defensive work will get him opportunities as he climbs the ladder toward St. Louis, and if his bat fulfills its potential, he has the pieces to be a possible everyday catcher in the Majors.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the point is that it’s not that off to vote for the Cards last two first round picks, one of which held their own in Springfield in their first full season. The other was the NCAA pitcher of the year this past spring. Bernal is exciting to dream on, but realistically further from serving a need. He could be 4 years away, and that wouldn’t be surprising. Hopefully for all our sakes, he’s good enough in 2023 to move into the top 5.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then again, our 70th overall pick Ryan Holgate can’t make contact and looks like a total bust. Hitting over .250 in the Florida State league with any power is quite a feat for any hitter.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you know how rare it is in the Cardinals system to hit 7 home runs and bat .250 in the Florida State league? Nolan Gorman had more at bats and didn’t do it. Dylan Carlson didn’t do it. Luke Voit did it twice but took twice as many at bats to do it as he hit 9 in 351 at bats and then 11 in 462 at bats. That is actually very impressive power numbers for Florida State league. Is it a fluke? At least he did it at the pro level and not college as we don’t need another Jeff Ledbetter….

bccran
    Participant

Let’s close this round out. Here were the votes, as I counted them –

McGreevey –
    8th – 6 votes
    9th – 7 votes

Thompson –
    8th – 7 votes
    9th – 2 votes

Hjerpe –
    8th – 3 votes
    9th – 4 votes

Bernal –
    8th – 2 votes
    9th – 3 votes

Paniagua –
    8th – 0 votes
    9th – 1 vote

Mejia –
    8th – 0 votes
    9th – 1 vote

I’m going to have to make a call on this. Thompson got one more vote for 8th place, but McGreevey got 4 more votes for the combined rounds. Therefore, I’m going to call this
    as McGreevey at #8 and Thompson at #9.

If anyone has a serious issue with this, please let me know before I post the top 9 prospects and move on to the next round. Thanks very much.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Bob-I was referring to Garcia, who started out as a catcher. At the time, there was debate about who was the better prospect between Taveras and Garcia.His hitting got him to the major leagues. but he never had the success of Barton.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 491 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years