So what are we going to do?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum So what are we going to do?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 501 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards might get a better return by trading Sosa at this point than Dejong. Edman could then play some at 2B and SS.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Starling Marte. There is your fix at the lead off or move down to 2. Rotate the rest down. Edman / Carlson, Marte,Goldy,Nolan,Tyler Nice top 5

bccran
    Participant

Where would you play Marte?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Starling Marte. There is your fix at the lead off or move down to 2. Rotate the rest down. Edman / Carlson, Marte,Goldy,Nolan,Tyler Nice top 5

I know for some it’s forgiveable, but his PED suspension makes him a no go free agent signee for me. I don’t doubt that he’s a good player, but I’d also question where he fits into the roster. Carlson to DH?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well they signed a pitcher ljay newsome who had been with mariners who’s currently injured and may be that way well into 2022. I guess we are really chasing low hanging fruit now.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not interested in Marte. We have enough older guys, and Marte does not fit our club very well. We have younger up-trending outfielders, and if we bring in anyone from outside you prefer a lefty bat.

Adding Marte would be subtraction by addition. It would take ABs away from guys like Yepez, who could really be good as we get into the season a couple of months.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Cards might get a better return by trading Sosa at this point than Dejong. Edman could then play some at 2B and SS.

Yeah, the club is sort of in a bind with DeJong. If he can somehow figure out how to make better contact, he might be a decent backup at short, third and even first. But his career is an elevator going down – each year worse than the previous.

He might be one guy that got screwed up when trying the whole uppercut swing approach. He will hit one out now and then, but can’t do much else other than strikeout.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Marte would play CF. Not just better but way better offensively. Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone on base for Goldy and Nolan. And a good defender. Bader would become expendable. Trade him while there is some value.

You wanna get better? Just showing a way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been thinking about who might be current Cardinals who could be a trade candidate.

My list would be:

DeJong
    Reyes
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    Plummer
    Perez

DeJong still has value because he is a very good defender, has a lot of power, and it is a reasonable bet that his OBP will bounce back some from this past year. He is only owed $6M and $9M the next two years so I think he would have some interest out there.

I will lump Reyes, Helsley, and Cabrera together in that they are all young, hard throwers with upside but with control problems. Some would argue we shouldn’t give up on them yet but I would listen to offers. The Cardinals are wisely trying now to focus on strike throwers instead of dealing with all of the walks.

I include Plummer and Perez on this list because I think their value may never be higher than it is now. Both had very good seasons in 2021 but you have to wonder if that is sustainable. Trading them would also alleviate a traffic jam on the 40 man roster.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I have been thinking about who might be current Cardinals who could be a trade candidate.

Mine would be anyone not named Molina, Wainwright.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The WS will be over 10 days from now or sooner, so things will get underway. It seems like this being the first year after the 2020 mini year coupled with the upcoming CBA will make it interesting. New manager should be in place around then or not long after. We should get some clarity fairly quick as to The Card’s game plan for the winter. Maybe Mo will do something surprising right off the bat.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My list would be:

DeJong
    Reyes
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    Plummer
    Perez

I think Edman, Sosa and Bader are all decent trade chips. I’d be willing to move Gallegos too, for the right price. Relievers on the wrong side of 30 can turn sour at any time. I’d bet we could get a pretty good player in a trade for Edman, Bader and Gallegos and none of them are irreplaceable.

bccran
    Participant

If you trade 3 key members of the St. Louis Cardinals, whom do you replace them with? Please be specific. Thanks.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, you might replace one or all with whoever you are trading for.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For starters, you replace them with whomever you trade them for. At 67.5M surplus value by MLB Trade Simulator estimates, you could get a pretty darn good return. That gets you to Jose Ramirez basically. Which is a huge upgrade over Edman at 2B any way you look at it. I’m not even saying you look to trade them all for one player, or that you trade all three. I’m just saying the return could be pretty good for the club. I’ll also go on record to say that Gorman will make Edman a platoon player at 2B soon and I’m not sure there’s much downgrade from Edman to either Sosa or Dejong at SS.

But let’s just say they could trade those three for Ramirez. Then you slide O’Neill to CF and sign a corner OF (Schwarber, Conforto, Canha, Calhoun), or maybe you look to the market for a defensive CF (Bradley, Inciarte). The relief corps can take care of itself. Having Helsley and Hicks back next year should help, but I’d imagine Mo could find a reliever via trade (Taylor Rogers?) or in free agency to help (Archie Bradley, Ottavino, Hand).

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I’d go after Javy Baez and put him at SS. Use DeJong as trade fodder for bullpen or long range outfield prospects. Switch Sosa over to 2B and make Edman a super sub all over the field playing most days. Baez won’t cost anything but money since he can’t be offered arbitration and it may keep him from a Cubs return. Additionally, with the Mets already locked in with Lindor, Baez could be a hot pickup at SS this offseason. He’d be worth the 25-30 million he will command at 29 (December birthday coming up). Then I’d find a front end starter and a closer and call it a day.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Sorry meant offered a qualifying offer.

bccran
    Participant

Aaaah……the creative fantasy juices are running wild. Great excitement.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t like Baez…much rather get Story or Seager.

bccran
    Participant

One thing to remember in all of this discussion. The Cardinals simply don’t like to be players in the competitive off season free agent market. They don’t want to give big ticket long term contracts to players they don’t know. There’s a lot more to players than just what they produce on the field. They want to test that.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Cranny, I know that. I was just having fun spending OPM. Lol. They will nibble on the bargin bin like they always do. Nothing wrong with it I guess.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

If they were going to sign a big name, big money guy they wouldn’t have fired Schildt. Firing Schildt signals that there will be no significant upgrade. The new MO is using analytics to find league minimum guys from Memphis. Compete for a wild card and keep the payroll low.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Guessing with this crew in the front office and how they run stuff they will go after low hanging fruit and try to make excuses for only doing that…honestly really about done with this Front office crew….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fantasizing about big free agents is probably a waste of time because I don’t think the Cardinals will do that. Trades are a possibility though. Jose Ramirez would be the ultimate get as he could play 2B and has a MVP type bat. The asking price would be astronomical though. Another target for 2B could be Gleyber Torres. His asking price would be less than Ramirez. In a different thread someone mentioned Cody Bellinger. He is intriguing because he is a former MVP but he only has one year of control left and he had a massive Carp like drop off in production this past season.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

With all this talk about personnel, trades, free agents and other speculation, it makes me wonder: Does Mike Girsch actually have a function in the Cardinals front office or does he just keep Mo supplied with coffee?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 501 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years