So what are we going to do?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum So what are we going to do?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 501 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what I have been saying.

A major shortstop acquisition would certainly be welcome, but there is much more of a need for pitching next season. The Cardinals should trust their young bats enough to avoid splurging on a major signing at shortstop.

This is likely what they will do, too. After Mozeliak’s comment about ensuring that young players have a pathway to St. Louis, it is unlikely that the Cardinals will make another long-term commitment to a position player. Paul Goldschmidt is locked up through 2024, Arenado is with the team through 2027, the entire outfield is likely to remain in place for while, and Tommy Edman has yet to reach arbitration. Another major signing would make it nearly impossible for a prospect to work his way into a starting role, and this seems like something that the front office wants to avoid.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/10/17/22729840/how-much-should-the-cardinals-rely-on-youth-in-2022

MP415d
    Participant

Free

They need a left handed bat. Especially if the DH comes to the NL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, MP!

MP415d
    Participant

Free

Thanks Brian!

bccran
    Participant

Plenty of left handed bats internally. The question is – are they ready?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I totally agree that staying away from any big mega-deals this winter is the wise way to approach the ‘22 season. There is enough talent on this roster to win.

And if the Cardinals have learned anything the last few years, it should be that they need to trust in their system, and not necessarily think the grass is greener elsewhere.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

I didn’t say that it has to come from outside of the organization. They just need one. If they are ready good, if not look for a solid bat it doesn’t have to be Bryce Harper.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well the problem is if we don’t go out and get a big bat and our offense is just the same as it was the majority of the time this year, what you going to do then. Relying within the organization means relying on young players. Those young players not named Albert pujols usually take years to get things right. We are positioned to win this coming season. After next year, all question marks. No waino, no yadi, maybe no flaherty. Mikolas will be older and maybe more broken. Will Hudson stay healthy. The pitchers on the farm haven’t shown they are ready to be any thing other than average. Not necessarily advocating for one way or the other but just showing what could lay over the horizon in 2023.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is possible to get a good LH bat from the outside without forking over $200M on a long term deal. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree there gscottar, but who would you suggest. I don’t see them replacing an outfielder. Also those inbetween guys don’t always work out, ala Fowler.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

We need to be thinking now about our catcher of the future. Knizner doesn’t seem to be a long-term solution. What if Yadi should go down early next season?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree there is enough talent on the team to win if everyone stays healthy.

However, I dont believe there is enough talent on the team to win big time and be a world series contender.

A top of the line player, like a Story, at SS might put us up into the elite level.

I wonder if Arenado might try and persuade Story to sign a team-friendly deal with us so he would have a chance at winning, big time?

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know about storey. When I saw, his numbers were a little down this year. Also what is his numbers outside Coors. Is his defense good enough?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Story was terrible this past year plus we don’t need another RH bat. Someone like Schwarber could be had on a shorter term deal. He can DH and play a little OF and 1B.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

I don’t want Story either. But Schwarber is the type of player that can help.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

They need a #1 or 2 starter, moving 2/3/4 down a notch to 3/4/5. Or at least a 3 and move 3/4 to 4/5. Thor, Marcos Stroman, Robbie Ray, Hell, bring Max home.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schwarber was also a below average hitter as recently as last year and is going to want to be paid big $$. I’d take Joc Pederson before Schwarber. I’d probably take Eddie Rosario before Schwarber. I’d definitely take Michael Conforto before Schwarber. Just say no to Schwarbs. He’s Mike Moustakas of the OF.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25 – Nice post. Schwarber as the Moustakas of the outfield is pretty much the way I see it, too.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well if Schwarber is going to be paid big $ this winter then there must be a reason for that. I don’t really view him as a central piece to the lineup but he could be a very good complimentary piece, green especially considering he is a LH. From an offensive perspective he is basically a LH version of Tyler O’Neill minus the speed.

But I am not dead set on Schwarber. I would take any good LH power bat we could sign for three years or less. If I am the Cardinals I am staying away from the long term deals.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You are not going to get someone who is able to get a regular spot to play off the bench with spot starts. And I don’t want to get anyone in front of our three young outfielders all of whom showed signs of breaking out to something special.

Seager or Correa would be my targets, and yes bid with the big guys. We have enough payroll coming off the books.

Pitching is harder for me.

bccran
    Participant

With Donovan and Gorman developing, doubt if they will make a major move at SS. Sosa is adequate and Edman can slide over there
    and be competent. As far as adding a LF hitter in the OF? Burleson is close to being ready. Smooth swing.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

They are pawing through the tea leaves for their minor league assets as fast as they can. Who do they think is ready to contribute at the major league level?

I hope the #1 acquisition priority is a starting pitcher.

Beyond that a reliable leadoff hitter. Depending on what position that guy is will determine other moves.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like Story. His defense is elite. But there are definitely concerns with his declining arm strength over the last few years. His OPS in Colorado is 200 points higher than out of Colorado. I wanted Story last off season. I figured the costs of trading for him would be less than Arenado with only 1 year of control and putting him at SS and moving DeJong to 3B (where almost all of his minor league innings where played) would have worked. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets this off season, I don’t see him as a good fit in St. Louis now though. I could see Houston as a major fit for him and being cheaper than bringing back Correa, who I expect the Yankees to give a Lindor like contract to. Seager is really the only SS that I see as a fit, but the cost is a major obstacle since I don’t expect to see them spend on offense at all. If the DH does come to the NL I still say Seager at SS and Gorman as DH getting some time at 2B and 3B is the route I see setting them up best to win. Even if there is injury then they have the depth. I like Nootbarr and Burleson both as LH 4th OF types that will be able to fill in short term really well. Donovan doesn’t have a primary position, as in 1 he plays overly well in the little I’ve seen of him, but his versatility lookalike it could be a huge asset on the bench eventually when his bat is ready.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All of this is probably a moot point because if the Cardinals are headed in the direction that I think they are headed there will not be a big LH bat acquired. They will view Gorman, Burleson, Noot, and Donovan as all they need. They might sign a Brad Miller type as insurance.

Hopefully they will at least spend a little to shore up the pitching depth though.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You may be right, gscottar. It will be disappointing that they’ll waste the window they have to support an 85-88 win team (under no guise is this team better than the Brewers with their uber rotation), but all they care about is printing cash at this point.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 501 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years