Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 2/18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 2/18

This topic contains 205 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, check your email. Based on your post here, I went into your account and figured out the problem before you ever emailed me. My note explains in detail, though one part of what happened I do not understand.

Fwiw, I never got this email. Not sure if I had the same issue as BHC did yesterday in getting an email from you.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC found my missing email in his spam/junk mail folder. I only have one email address for you, but I will re-send my earlier note from last Thursday. It was not returned to me as undeliverable, so as far as I can tell, it went through. I guess email providers are considering my notes to be junky… 😉

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Brian,

What’s the policy on posting articles from paywall sites like BA, The Athletic or ESPN+? I know links are fine but what is the line on posting snippets of the content?

Hypothetically (and this is totally so because I won’t pay The Athletic), if The Athletic had an article about “Top 10 breakout prospects 2019” and Montero was on the list, can we share the link only, a mention that Montero is on the list, a copy and paste of the part Montero is on, or what?

Just trying to get some clarity on this before I post an article.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is what is listed in the Posting Rules, also pinned to the top of this board:

“You agree not to post copyrighted material including articles in their entirety. Proper crediting and links must accompany brief quotes or summaries that originate from other sources. If we find content we believe to have been plagiarized, we reserve the right to delete it without notice.”

Short excerpts or summaries are fine. Entire articles are not. Links should always be included.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Test post. I have had 2 post disappear on other threads

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some of you have probably noticed that the site had yet to implement current security standards, indicated by “not secure” on the address line.

This (Tuesday) evening, the site is scheduled to cut over to SSL, which will address these concerns. Hopefully there will be no impact to you.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I cannot recall which thread it was on, but someone asked if our team rosters could be sorted by position (or other ways) instead of just being listed alphabetically. Here is the code developer’s reply.

Yes, this feature has been requested, and is “on the list”. I’d like to get it done, but there is no date for its implementation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the update on that!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wish I had a crisper answer, but at least the developer knows one more of his customers is asking for the function.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I want to call your attention to a new function on the site.

A consistent message I’ve received is from readers is that you don’t want to have to keep checking the home page for new articles – and it leads to you missing content.

As a start to address this, I have implemented a process that enables you to receive an email from the site whenever a new article is posted. It is binary – on or off. If you sign up, you will receive a separate email for each new article, whether free or for paid members.

It is easy to sign up. There is a box to do so in the left menu bar. It is also easy to turn off if you decide later on that it is too much.

(In a few days, I will merge this topic into the “TCN QUESTIONS” thread, but for now, I want to call attention to this capability.)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At least one of you is satisfied with the new function. I just received this email.

Brian –

The addition of email notification is perfect. I got my first tonight and went straight to the article to read.

Well done!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very nice indeed, Brian. I really miss the PM feature. It was always fun to open your mail first thing every morning and read my PBP critiques…… mostly positive, but every blue moon I would get that Yahoo telling me that I totally sucked or something of the like….that I disliked. But PM had many other practical uses too. For instance, right now I owe the esteemed Carioca some McDonald’s gift certificates as a result of Carioca royally fleecing me on a Munoz wager. I usually write these things down, but this time I did not. I need to get him his loot. If we had PM, I could accomplish this……hmmm…..maybe PM is not that essential after all.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Personal messaging is not a feature of the message board code used here. Sorry.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pugs, e mail me at frank22305@yahoo.com to see if we can reach an out of court settlement!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can anybody on this forum explain to me why I keep getting the error message that says…..

YOUR POST CANNOT BE CREATED AT THIS TIME

I seemingly get it quite a lot anymore.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, no one else has reported this and I have never seen it myself. So I don’t have much of anything to go on. Do you have another device – computer, tablet or phone – that you could try to post from? (To see if the problem occurs on the second device, too?)

Does the problem go away when you try to post a second time? Or is there a time period when it always fails? Any other specifics? The more info you provide, the better chance we have of resolving it.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It just comes and goes.

YOUR REPLY CANNOT BE CREATED AT THIS TIME.

I don’t know of anything that seems to be out of the ordinary when I post at times. It just seems to be random.

r/Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This is still happening. And it seems to usually happen on Saturdays.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, I am sorry you are having a problem still. But I have asked multiple times for more information and suggested several actions, but I get nothing that is actionable in return. So I have no idea what to do to try to help you. Clearly, it is a problem that you get around.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what else to tell you Brian. I get the error message I noted above and I cant post. It happens most of the time on the weekends, especially on Saturdays. Its been happening to me all weekend now.

I type my post and get the error message. Then when I clear everything and type “I cant post again” it works.

?????????????

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe you should take your computer somewhere and have it looked at. Maybe you have a virus. There are criminals who spend almost all of their awake hours trying to mess with your computer so they can find a way to steal money from you. Sorry to bring it up, but it’s true.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had this error happen a week or so ago. It was in a game thread and I wrote out a long post. No matter what I did it wouldn’t let the post go through, so I erased it and wrote a short post that did go through. It seemed very random so I have no idea what could have triggered it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Were you asked to log in again between the failed post and the successful one?

This happens to everyone, including me. At some unknown interval, for security reasons, the site asks a user who had been logged in for many hours to log in again. This has happened to me while posting an article as well as commenting here. I have to back out and start over again after logging in.

My repeated advice is that if you make a long post and get caught by this, before you do anything else, scroll backward with your browser and copy your typed comment. Then paste it in once you are logged on again and back in the right spot. This should save you from having to retype the post a second time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The situation that Rat and stl25 describe has happened to me a few times but not often. Occasionally a post just won’t go through in a particular thread for no apparent reason. I then go to do a different thread and everything is fine. It doesn’t seem to be a login/logout issue to me. It doesn’t happen often it is just one of those random things that pop up once in awhile.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years