Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 03/21

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 03/21

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where did the ability to quote, bold, italicize, etc go in the post editor? Iy would be really nice to have that function back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good question. I noticed it too. A change must have been made to the board software. I will look into it.

Update. The problem was caused in a new release. I put in temporary code to get around it until the developer addresses it directly.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate all you do to keep our favorite Cards site up and running.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry about the outage overnight, but we are rolling again for Opening Day!

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks for fixing the problem.Wondered what was going on ?TV preachers,redbirds….?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I woke up and thought maybe Brian had pulled the plug on us on opening day!!

Glad to see we are back in business.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There has been a nagging problem with password resets which appear to be caused by two pieces of site code not working together. There may be a few short (5-20 minute) late evening outages this week for diagnosis and testing. Will try to keep you informed…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There may be several short outages after 9 pm tonight, Thursday,

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Finally, the long standing password reset process not working problem has been resolved.

However, a new problem has arisen. The capability to receive automatic notification of new articles on the site stopped working several weeks ago. The code is obsolete and out of support. It looks like I am going to have to add a new product to do the same function, but I have as of yet been unable to find the list of email addresses of prior subscribers. We may have to start over again. If so, I will apologize now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been having issues the last couple of weeks on mobile where it’s giving me a “site is not available” error when I go to post. I then have to refresh and resubmit the post through the prompt and it goes through fine. I dunno if anyone else is having the same issue or not, but I wanted to make mention of it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hopefully others will comment and offer more information. This is a new problem to me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reader emailed me with these questions:

Is there a way to tell what threads you posted in without requesting emails notifying you when someone has posted in the thread? You could get 100 emails in one day doing this. Also how do you reply to someone. The reply button doesn’t work. Is there something else you have to do or is it a technical issue like a browser issue, etc. Thanks in advance.

My response:

If you click on your userid name anywhere on the forum, you will be taken to a page that has choices on the left. Two of them are “Replies Created” and “Topics Started”. Click on one of them and you will see all threads that you commented in or only the threads you started (first post).

You cannot reply to a user privately. The forum only supports public comments in the discussion threads. When responding to someone, I often copy and paste the part of the original post that I am responding to. That way readers know what I am talking about.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Potential site outage coming this evening/overnight.

This maintenance will occur during off-peak hours based on the server’s location in our US based Datacenter. This maintenance is expected to take place on your server on the evening of 08/23/2022 between 10PM and 4AM Central.

The maintenance will result in up to 25 minutes of downtime as the server is restarted.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Member forum can’t be accessed.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I see that the i and B and Img fuctions still don’t appear in the EDIT mode. You said you would “look into it”

That was before the start of the season…what did you see?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

These functions only appear with the initial post. It is the same for everyone, including me, and apparently is not a feature I can specify. So we are stuck with this as far as I can tell.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There were site slowdowns Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I hope they are resolved now and I apologize for the problem.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Intermittent problems are continuing. Support has made some progress but it is not out of the woods yet.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I noticed that the profile of the users who are spamming the site say they registered “sometime ago”. What does that mean? Can the ability to create a new thread be restricted to users who registered, say, a month ago? New people who happen by could still comment on existing threads.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Spammers are periodically getting in and immediately posting. You can imagine they are a far greater irritant to me than to you. I am actively working on tightening up the site in a way it is transparent to users. I don’t want to make it harder for legitimate users to participate.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure what can be done about it or why, but TCN has crashed Chrome for me three times today. This is the only site that has caused the issue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just saw this note. Sorry I had missed it. Has the problem persisted? What more can you say about the problem?

Other members, have you experienced this recently? If so, what are the circumstances, please?

I haven’t seen or heard of it so need as much information as possible to try to figure out what is happening. Thanks.

(P.S. On the morning of the 14th, the site’s hosting provider had several hours of intermittent slow downs and outages. For me, the site just timed out and did not take down my entire browser or operating system. I use the current version of Chrome on Windows 11. Not sure the hosting issues that day had anything to do with your problems, stlcard25.)

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t know how all that stuff works, BW, but in comparison with other baseball websites, I’d have to say that this one’s first rate in regards to ease of access and relative simplicity.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for your comments, 1tough. I hate ads, especially popup video ones, so I end up paying more to keep this site clean. Even though the forums are free to you all, they are not to me. But I don’t want this to be like all the other sites where everyone is bombarded with ads.

Your subscriptions and purchases of the Prospect Guide are our only source of revenue and I really appreciate those who can support us.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The three crashes all occurred on pages with embedded tweets. I had not happened for a couple of days, until this morning where it happened on the thread with the YouTube video embedded by Bob Reed. Each time it crashes Android, then Chrome. I don’t believe it’s happened on any other sites but this one.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 300 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.