Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 03/21

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 03/21

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As you may know, The Cardinal Nation (TCN), TheCardinalNation.com, left the Scout network at the end of June 2017, returning to independent operation. Details can be found in an article at the Scout site with a more detailed question and answer set located at the top of the free Scout message board.

If you have not read them, please do so, as they provide important details.

Link to article
    Message board Q&A link

There is also a post here on the new TCN for paying subscribers on how to get started.

If you are a free user, you only need to sign up for a free userid and password to comment here on the Open Forum. See the upper right of this page to get started! (If you already had an logon for TCN Blog, it will be active here, as well.)

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hi Brian… interesting new site.

A quick question…is there going to be a mobile friendly version or an update to the current format to make it a little more usable for mobile formats? I do most of my forum posting on phone or tablet and I can’t see avatars, and the formatting is pretty funky.

Thanks!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, will we be able to edit our profiles so that our real names don’t show up on our posts? Would really strongly prefer that to not be the case.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, stlcard25. You are the first to discover our soft opening. As a result, you encountered the first public problems.

USERID vs. NAME

You seem to have figured out how to change your name in your user profile. Others can update your profile, too (including what name is displayed, avatar, etc.), at the upper right via WELCOME > MY PROFILE. Also, here is the direct URL.

thecardinalnation.com/wp-admin/profile.php

I am looking into changing the default for everyone to display your USERID, rather than your name. Ideally, I would prefer to keep your name in the profile, but in the background, as it will help when billing time comes around.

However, I certainly understand the privacy issue and am trying to figure out how to make the system-wide change to USERID appearing here.

MOBILE

In order to get the site up in an incredibly short time, I had to make the decision to make site rendering on mobile be a clean up item once the site is stable. It is definitely high on the priority list for phase 2.

Welcome!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the answers, Brian. I appreciate the time you gave put into getting this new place ready to go.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry you were the one to take the first arrows. Others, feel free to get your questions on the table.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another tip from a user received via email.

“Logging in was a little odd, in that I didn’t immediately have access to the member stories until I closed my browser and reopened it.”

Most of the time, you can get around this by simply reloading the page in question. Browsers save a copy of the page to speed loading, but does not check to see if you are logged in.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I received an email question from a member, “Why PayPal?”

Many of you prefer to be on a monthly plan for access to TCN. The logistics of having new billing every month would be onerous for you and me. Therefore, the site is set up with recurring payments (once you enter your payment info for the first time).

The only way to make recurring billing work is to store your payment information somewhere. The question became where best to do that.

The best and safest way to store your payment information is in PayPal. Because financial transactions are their business, their security is second to none. Only you can see the details of your financial information. I cannot. And that is the way it should be.

For those worried about potential problems, I am your support, not an 800 number. My commitment to you is that if there are billing issues with your account, I will make things right.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How do we mark threads as “read’?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome. To be honest, I don’t know how to mark threads as “read”. I just added it to my to-do list to look into.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I am unable to access “My Profile” even when I am logged in.

Nevermind. I was able to get in by clicking on the poster name in my post.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am glad it worked for you, forsch, and welcome!

At least one other had the same problem today, but it seemed to clear up when she re-started her browser.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am unable to access the premium board.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I prefer to handle specific problems related to your individual subscription accounts privately rather than post your personal info here. Anyone can email me or use the CONTACT US form under the ABOUT tab at the top of the page. I will respond very quickly. Thanks.

CC, please check your email for the explanation.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t like that I can’t edit or delete a post when I want to.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The system default is a five minute period during which posts can be edited. That should give time to proofread comments and correct any errors.

Update: I doubled this to 10 minutes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, any update on the issue of how to mark a thread “read”? Thanks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No update. It is on the list, but frankly through the holiday weekend, my focus has been on helping those who have serious problems such as log on and password issues that are keeping them from getting on the site at all. Hope you understand I have to set priorities during a very busy time. Thanks.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian,

Can we see post counts when the new version rolls out? Can you make the separator between posts stand out a little more, perhaps gray rather than white? (or make that an option)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Those are two other good potential usability enhancements that I will look into when the smoke clears.

Just to make sure I get it, though, do you mean separators between comments within a thread like this one?

PadsFS
    Participant

correct. and it may be my monitor.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, the separators are already a light gray now. I could see about going darker, I guess, but maybe you could check on another device.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know you have addressed the mobile issues but that needs to come fast. Reading posts a letter at a time doesn’t cut it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am unsure why some posts are listed that way and others not. Agree it needs attention. Thanks for the reminder.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pretty sure it happens when people keep replying to replies. Each one is indented but since the mobile screen is only so wide it makes each line short (up to one letter short) rather than push part of the line off the screen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 300 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years