Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 2/18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions about the New TCN – UPDATED 2/18

This topic contains 192 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ratsbuddy 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not finding the link to be able to create new forum topics

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is no special link to create new topics. The area to do so is at the bottom of the main forum screen that lists all the current threads.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, refresh my memory on how to quote a poster’s comments in my own post. I have forgotten how to do it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, the answer to your question is on Page 3 of this thread. I am recopying it here using the function in question.

Question 2. The 4th box from the left just above the area in which you type in your comments says B-QUOTE. It puts HTML text ahead of the words you want to quote.

Then to end the quote, hit the same box again. That box now says /B-QUOTE. It will add the HTML to end the quote.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar, the answer to your question is on Page 3 of this thread. I am recopying it here using the function in question.

Question 2. The 4th box from the left just above the area in which you type in your comments says B-QUOTE. It puts HTML text ahead of the words you want to quote.

Then to end the quote, hit the same box again. That box now says /B-QUOTE. It will add the HTML to end the quote.

Thank you.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have trouble posting sometimes…it gives me an error and says posting is not available or something like that

i have lost several posts this way, from mobile and on desktop

is there a limit on characters or something? did i get banned from a topic or something?

EDIT:
    i just tried to post in MAtheny as Manager thread but it didnt work…came here an posted…it worked…went back and couldn’t post in the other thread

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Avatar thejager.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Jager, there is apparently a character length limit on posts. If you hit it, the system does not allow the post, and does not offer a warning or explanation.

In our 2 1/2 months here, only one other poster had reported the same problem, and in investigating it, I learned the above. I do not know the actual length allowable, but it is very long, seemingly adequate for 99 percent of comments. I am sorry you lost your posts, but if you might consider being more concise or splitting your thoughts into multiple subjects, it would probably be better for all.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

id appreciate if you could get a limit for me to see…that way i can at least not lose posts entirely BEFORE i send them off

“probably bet better for all”?

that is kind of a personal thing to say to me..i dont think other posters are told how much they should write…i know you mean no disrespect and i mean none either…but that reads to me as the admin telling me to stop posting long posts because they dont like it and woudl prefer me not to post my thoughts as i want them

i dont really like being concise all the time nor do i think i should have to be (outside of limitations to the forum) ..people can skip my posts just like i am asked to skip theirs if i dont like them…whether long or short

thansk for the hard work and the quick response

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, please do not be insulted. It was not meant that way. I was referring to an exchange you had with another poster the other day in which you acknowledged that some of your posts are very long.

Personally, I have found that sometimes I gloss over some of your very long comments and might miss a key point you are making as a result. Other times, my focusing on one point in a larger post has incorrectly been considered to be nitpicking. In that case, what I am doing is focusing on the part of the long post that interests me most.

I think shorter posts could lead to better understanding and better dialogue. That could benefit you and get better reactions from your posts from others. Of course, I am not telling you what or how to post – just offering a friendly perspective.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i appreciate the concern…and i know that i might have points missed due to my format…and as i said i know you meant no disrespect…

but i am allowed to vent the way i need to as well as anyone else…and for me it tends to come out in long passages where i can think through ideas as they come…i recognize it has issues potentially…and i am concise more than people give me credit for…but that is not how i think most of the time…

my posts aRE long often…but that’s usually because I think some things need to be said in longer than blurting out short snippets…some things need to be talked through IMO….i dont expect everyone to do the same but i do think explanations and expanding on topics within a post is necessary sometimes…

i know the ignore function isnt a thing here…i know it isnt something you can bring back…but i readily understand would expect some people to block me for my walls of text…it is unfortunate but i expect it…

also..shorter posts from me do happen…and that isnt the problem with getting decent feedback…it’s mostly because i am labeled a rose colored glass homer who isnt logical or realistic about anything and is lambasted because i show optimism…

i am still interested in the character limit if you can provide it please

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am sorry, but I do not know the character limit. If I discover it later, I will share it, but being completely honest, I have other higher priority items right now.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

that is fine…i just thought you said you had discovered it from before it would be easily findable

and i understand it is not high priority, but i DO think it would be something to have in a sticky or something along those lines as i’d hate for a new (or old) poster to post and not know why they lost their post

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is a tip. A member has been getting unwanted emails from the forum every time someone adds a comment to a thread.

The reason this happens is as follows.

At the bottom of every post on the message board, there is a box to check or not check. It is called “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”. If you check that box on a discussion thread, you will get emails when anyone replies. As long as you do not check that box, you will not receive emails from the forum. You alone have the control to check or uncheck threads. I cannot do it for you.

The term often used is “subscribing to a thread”. Sometimes people want to follow every post in a discussion, but most often, they just leave it unchecked.

P.S. If you don’t know which thread you checked the box in, all you have to do is look at the subject line of the email(s) sent to you. It is the same as the title of the thread in question.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just renewed. Thanks for creating this and keeping it going.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville, your support is greatly appreciated, as is that of the other members!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Back to the forum thread notification topic. Has any member here received emails from the site, notifying you of bread new threads that someone else started, but which you have never seen or joined?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder on how to post hot links to other websites. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Paste the link into your new post.
    Then highlight the link with your cursor.
    Click on the LINK box just above (3rd from the left).
    A popup box will open.
    Make sure the link is in both of the top 2 fields (called URL and Link Text).
    (I also check the box that says “Open link a new tab,” but that is personal preference.)
    Then click the blue ADD LINK box at the bottom of the popup box.
    The HTML code needed will be added to your post.
    Click the red SUBMIT box as always to complete the post.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am delighted to announce that mudville’s comment on the Wade Davis free agent thread on Thursday evening 12/29 was the new The Cardinal Nation’s 10,000th post since the new site officially opened on July 1. Not bad for less than six months!

And that total is on top of over 30,000 comments made here during the site’s prior life as The Cardinal Nation blog. (The old blog became the base for the new TCN as part of the changes when we left the Scout network and TCN blog is no longer a separate entity.)

It has been a challenging year to say the least and I want to thank each and every one of you for remaining a member of this community through the transition and beyond. We could not have pulled off changes of this magnitude in such a short time without the support of our readers and the dedicated and knowledgeable team of writers who serve as the backbone of TCN.

Happy New Year and all the best to you and yours in 2018!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Belated Congrats!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Question: I notice that the time stamps I see on each post are eastern time. Is there a way for me to change them to central time?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am 2 hours ahead of NY time and post show up at the local time here so it must be a setting. I assume it is a phone setting since I have never messed with the site settings.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I usually don’t post with my phone and my desktop is set for central time so it must be a site setting.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, gscottar! On your time zone question, I am at WWU this weekend and am pretty busy so do not have hours to look into it now. What I have learned (and verified by trying it) is that the WordPress software that runs the site has to have the same time zone specified as my hosting provider uses. That is UTC-5, or US East Coast.

I am in Central time. My computer is set on Central time. Yet this post is displayed in Eastern time.

I would prefer to use Central Time as well, but I cannot see a way to change it for the forums. At least not yet.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How to do searches for the site and the forum, specifically.

The site search area is located at the far upper right of this and all pages in blue with a magnifying glass icon.

The search for the forums only is located on the main FORUMS page, where you select either this forum or the Insiders one. That page can be reached by clicking on FORUMS, again up top, two spots to the left of the blue magnifying glass.

Happy searching!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another tip. Some have had trouble with their password.

Under “WELCOME, (your name)” > “MY ACCOUNT”, you can change your password at any time. The system generates a very long and complicated password, but it is only a suggestion – you do not have to accept it. Just overtype it with the password you want. Make sure to save it by hitting the button at the bottom of the page. If your password is deemed too simple, it will make you try again.

If you cannot get in or the reset procedure is not working properly for you, please contact me. When I have gotten involved, we have fixed these problems 100% of the time.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years