Outfield Dilemma …

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Outfield Dilemma …

This topic contains 136 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I don’t sign ozuna, and I get rid of Martinez, time to move on. that right there frees up a lot of space. ravelo isn’t an every day player so I keep him in the minors unless he can be used in a trade. I personally would get rid of fowler but I don’t see that happening. so we have two spots to fill with the other guys. I don’t see any outfield free agents I would sign over what is on the infield or the mound so just work guys in til someone wins the job. id rather edman be on the infield myself xo im not including him. but he hasn’t won a starting job yet in my eyes. though I personally would put him at third over carpenter but again I don’t see that happening.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I expected both.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How much time does Ozuna have to accept/reject QO?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think it is 10 days.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB Trade Rumors predict Ozuna to the Giants for 3/$45. (The only top 50 free agent they have going to the Cards is Wainwright.)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From the previous comment:

The Nationals remain the favorite for Rendon, as Harper’s departure left them capacity to sign their third baseman and they’ve already made an aggressive attempt. The Rangers, Phillies, Braves, Cardinals, and Angels could also be suitors.

The Nats embarrassed us in the NLCS. Paying up for Rendon would be payback… plus the Cards put themselves in a position to be in the WS conversation. Come on, Mo get us something elite.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mspaid
    Participant

14Nyquist:

There won’t be anything “elite” coming to St. Louis this century. Mo will pick up a slug or two and say he’s excited about the team. End of off-season.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dierks, Todd & Adams. After looking at their 50 predictions from last year, how could anyone waste one second to see their projections for this year? I hate being negative, but it would be tough to intentionally do as poorly as this trio did.

Nice to see that you’re in full swing, like you usually are at this time of year, Nate.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

They don’t do great on picking the teams, but their contract amounts and years are usually pretty darn close. Same with their Arb projections.

mspaid
    Participant

Pugs:

I’ll tell you, I’d stop being like I usually am when the cardinals start acquiring some real talent. I’m right, until they win the World Series. There’s no chance of that until we get new owners so I’m safe.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point, nate. No chance. Making the final four doesn’t count. These owners could never, ever win a World Series.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I expect Ozuna to get an offer from someone in the range of the qualifying offer. 4 years, $70+ million. The Cards may offer 3 years, $50 million plus incentives. I think the Fowler contract has taught us not to go 5 years on an aging player. Granted, Ozuna is a little younger than Fowler when he signed.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heyman joins the bandwagon that Ozuna will not accept his qualifying offer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope we don’t sign him as a FA. I would much rather have the draft pick. Besides if Mr. Dewitt has said he expects a similar payroll in 2020 as 2019 then there is no room for Ozuna financially unless other players leave.

mspaid
    Participant

Brian:

I didn’t see a parade to the ballpark after we made the final four. I didn’t see a parade in Houston after they won three games in the WS. You either win it all and take hone the trophy or you failed. Now, there are Big failures like teams that lose 90 games and minor failures like teams that make the final four but stall. But falling short is failing. Mo said they had enough so they did nothing at the deadline. Apparently they didn’t have enough unless he only wanted to win the NLDS. But it would appear that they were satisfied since they announced that the payroll would stay the same for 2020. winning the division and drawing 3.4 made Junior happy so why do anything more. Their present business model will keep the team making plenty of money but won’t result in a WS title. I long ago resigned myself that the team I’ve rooted for since 1964 will never rise above mediocrity. I can live with that.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Cardinals since 2000 have been one of the winningest teams in MLB. They just won 91 games and the Central division this year. How is that mediocrity?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mspaid – I’m just going to say, flatly, that you are wrong. It is not about winning the world Series, and that alone. It truly is about ‘how you play the game’. That maxim extends from the very top of the organization down through all of the employees at all of the levels of the organization. The fans want intensity and competitiveness. They want every ‘player’ to bring out the best in every other player and in their competition. That’s what really, really matters. Now if you’re talking something like ‘immortality’, well that’s a bit different. Teams that finish ‘second’ seldom get to be in on that. Certain players may become ‘immortal’ in the minds of some fans, but second place teams usually aren’t remembered, although some teams like the 2004 Cardinals with their 105 wins are kind of hard to forget.

mspaid
    Participant

No…Winning the World Series is all that matters. I don’t give a rat’s behind about playing hard or competing. I care about the front office acquiring the talent to put a strong roster on the field like the Astros, Dodgers, Yankees, etc.

Mediocity is missing the playoffs or getting mugged in a round before the World Series.
    They won a weak divsion when the other two contenders went on vacation towards the end of the season.

If Bader, Fowler, Carpenter, J. Martinez, DeJong are on the roster on opening day in 2020 or worse in the starting line-up then the team is mediocre.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh, wait a minute there, nate. Your logic has its usual large holes.

“Winning the World Series is all that matters”

“put a strong roster on the field like the Astros, Dodgers, Yankees”

Fact 1: Two of your three model teams did not advance any further than the Cardinals this season.

Fact 2: That Houston went one round farther that the Cards is irrelevant since winning the World Series is ALL THAT MATTERS. They have a nice team that has just one title to date in their 58 seasons of existence.

Fact 3: The Yankees last won the World Series (ALL THAT MATTERS) 10 years ago and it is their only title since 2000. During that same time, the Cardinals won two championships (Remember, those owners who will never win one, according to you).

Fact 4: The Dodgers last won the World Series (ALL THAT MATTERS) 31 years ago.

And you want the Cards to be like them.

Fact 5: Since 2000, your three model teams COMBINED have the same total of World Series titles (ALL THAT MATTERS) as the Cardinals, two. (Same in the last decade, one combined vs. one for StL.)

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian…excellent points. The Cardinals have actually been way more the consistent winning franchise than any of the 3 teams mentioned.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian…excellent points. The Cardinals have actually been way more the consistent winning franchise than any of the 3 teams mentioned.

We haven’t been a more consistent winner than the Yankees or Dodgers if you define winner as W/L record. We have won world series more recently for those that believe in world series or bust. I don’t.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, it all depends on what period of time and what measures one uses to define success. Here are some examples.

These bullets came from a Bernie article just this morning, referring to the team’s success since current ownership took over.

⇒ Rank fourth in the majors and second in the NL, for highest regular-season winning percentage (.548.)

⇒ Have made it to the postseason 14 times in 24 years. Among major-league teams, only the Yankees (20) and Braves (15) have qualified for the postseason more often than DeWitt’s team over the last 24 seasons.

⇒ Have competed in more postseason games (144) than any team in the majors except the NY Yankees.

⇒ Have won more postseason games (74) than any team in the majors except the NY Yankees.

⇒ Have competed in the NLCS 11 times with DeWitt as owner.

https://www.101espn.com/2019/11/11/bernie-in-terms-of-fan-support-bill-dewitt-and-the-cardinals-have-little-to-worry-about/

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar… I read that and I’m still scratching my head. It seems to me to be convoluted. Do you know what he’s trying to say?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years