Our Younger OFers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Our Younger OFers

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo took the responsibility directly on Randy.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok, Mo. Then do the right thing and fall on your sword. Time to cut payroll costs at the GM/VP of Operations level.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carioca – My apologies, I was wrong. Gil had a good season in 2019.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I raised with Mo his trade deadline comment that they would use September to assess whether the Cardinals would need to “go external” for outfield help this offseason.

“What was your assessment? Do you plan to go external?,” I asked.

He actually replied that he would not answer.

He danced, saying it was a “difficult season to make adjustments” and “COVID had a negative effect on performance”.

The reality is all of that was known on August 31. My conclusion is that his original hopes and plans for the offseason were clipped when the numbers came in.

I lowered my sights, later asking him about the possibility of adding a platoon bat to complement one of the existing players.

He replied, “Rosters are the sum of the parts. If we were confident with the platoon model, we would be open to it.”

My bottom line view is what you see is what you should expect.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo specifically complemented Bader and O’Neill for their offensive improvement in 2020.

Bader is “still hitting the ball hard.”
    O’Neill’s walks were up and strikeouts down. “But are we confident it can repeat?”

“We don’t have the perfect answer.”

I forgot. He also mentioned Thomas.

“He was definitely one of the players more affected (by COVID). He had trouble breathing and felt dizziness at times.” The medical staff is still trying to learn from it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you are exactly right Brian. Mo acts like he just came from a meeting with his superiors where he received his marching orders and it wasn’t what he was expecting. He may be thankful he still is employed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep to both of you, BW and Gscottar. Dewallet has to make his bucks before anyone after heroically losing an amount of money in 2020 that would be like you and I losing a $20 bill in the parking lot at Walmart.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I should have mentioned before that while Mo took responsibility for Arozarena, he did NOT for Tatis, Jr. He said, “20-20 hindsight can be a little dangerous.” “Those decisions are made in time and you see what you see.” They were comfortable with how they handled it then.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mo didn’t see what was coming this offseason he needs canned. Not only did I see it, I six part outlined it (reply #145447), and I’m just a hick from the sticks.

He and the owners knew exactly what this winter looks like because they hold the purse strings. They just weren’t going to announce it during their season or postseason money grab.

Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, what is the secret sauce on searching for a particular reply?

Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, I think you may have to lower your sights away from JD Davis, Conforto, and Nimmo. It appears we are going to be shopping in the Eric Thames aisle.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I am not JJ, but the following can help. It explains how to search the forums (as well as a separate search for the main site articles).

It is one of the many tips on the QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NEW TCN thread.

https://thecardinalnation.com/forums/topic/questions-about-the-new-tcn/page/4/#post-42551

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GS, I prefer the JD Davis trade because it’s basically financially neutral with the principals. JD brings an added season of control over Bader, so a additional near minimum guy from stl balances the salaries, and now that Edman is headed to 2B, Davis gives Shildt another 3B alternative to hold Carps PA’s down below vesting.
    (WWMD thread, page 11, members forum)

Participant

Paid - Annual

If he goes with the same outfield he’s going to lose a lot of fans. It’s one of the worst offensive outfields in MLB, and I would challenge posters to come up with a worse Cardinals offensive outfield this century.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2014 was pretty awful outside of Holliday, too. No one else on that team hit at all. Believe it or not, they had a worse team OPS than the 2020 Cards.

Bc, I’m afraid you’re going to have to turn away or find another team for 2021. Fowler will be your RF, Bader your CF and Carlson your LF. O’Neill will back them all up. Thomas may hang around as the 5th OFer. I think all but Fowler will hit better than this year but the potential must become production at some point.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I am not JJ, but the following can help. It explains how to search the forums (as well as a separate search for the main site articles).

It is one of the many tips on the QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NEW TCN thread.

Yes, I know where the search button is but can you search for a specific reply number or is the search limited to words?

Participant

Paid - Annual

“BC, I’m afraid you’re going to have to turn away or find another team in 2021”.
    Don’t think so, 25. And probably not appropriate to tell another long time Cardinal fan what to do. Right?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t think so, 25. And probably not appropriate to tell another long time Cardinal fan what to do. Right?

In this case, I’ve got no beef with your comment. I’m simply offering you my honest assessment. If you are among those who would be a lost fan if Mo doesn’t add another OFer, that’s just what’s going to happen. If you’re not, then you’ll just have to watch as we run the same OF out there again.

It’s gonna be a year of watching Bader and O’Neill swing at low and away sliders and Fowler struggle to be an average bat. We’d better hope that Carlson is amazing because he might be the only bright spot.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m trying to keep an open mind about possible additions. Maybe another Dean type for the outfield. No big splash, must maybe a few moves. Perhaps they can find another Ludwick or
    Jose Martinez (with better defense).

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe that will be the case, bc. I just feel like kicking the can down the road on someone that will be less than a 50% chance to be an upgrade over what you’ve got isn’t going to move the needle much. For instance, I’d put a Dean type player at a 10-20% chance of an upgrade over O’Neill. It’s hard to be excited about that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually, didn’t Brad Miller hit cleanup for a number of games?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yes, I know where the search button is but can you search for a specific reply number or is the search limited to words?

gscott, here’s a pretty easy way to find a specific post if you know the reply number and poster (jj in this case). Click on jj’s name to bring up his profile, then click on “Replies Created.” From there, you will get a list of his replies, identified by reply number, that you can click on.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the assist, Euro. I did not have time to verify that was not a moderator-only function. Glad it works for everyone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the tip.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone see the picture of Harrison Bader in the Post Dispatch this morning? If so, notice anything about it?

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years