Our Younger OFers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Our Younger OFers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2020 does matter. As long as they still plan to give out a world series trophy then it matters. I haven’t read anything about the world series being cancelled yet, pending the virus situation at the time.

As for Carlson’s service time, all the Cardinals have to do is wait until around August 1 to call him up and they won’t forfeit service time towards his free agency eligibility. The only service time repercussion would be he would have one less option year but that should be a non-issue anyway considering his talent level.

So, the Cardinals should let him play practice games in Springfield this Summer and risk not making the postseason? No, I don’t think so. I would consider this in the no-brainer category.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get where you are coming from, gscottar, and I respect your opinion. However, it may not be a “no brainer” for everyone. There are a number of regulars here who said they consider 2020 a test bed to sort out personnel but not a legitimate season. Those are the ones I really want to hear from.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At roughly the halfway point (31 games) our “young OF’rs” mid-season results by Baseball Reference are…..

Outfield GS:
    O’Neill 23, Carlson 21, Bader 17, Edman 7, Thomas 5

2020 PA’s:
    Edman 120, O’Neill 90, Carlson 79, Bader 58, Thomas 21

2020 OPS+:
    Bader 109, Edman 87, O’Neill 84, Thomas 45, Carlson 25

2020 oWAR:
    Bader 0.4, Edman 0.1, O’Neill 0.0, Thomas -0.2, Carlson -0.8

2020 dWAR:
    Carlson 0.5, O’Neill 0.3, Edman 0.3, Bader 0.1, Thomas 0.0

2020 brWAR:
    Bader 0.5, O’Neill 0.4, Edman 0.3, Thomas -0.2, Carlson -0.3

O’Neill and Bader were the choices to start opening day, and at the mid-season point that decision appears correct. Carlson has had similar opportunities to O’Neill and Bader, and Thomas has not.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bring on Dean. Maybe Ravelo too.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Bring on Dean”
    That roster change is possible, just depends on how much the FO wants to let Carlson bury himself.

“Maybe Ravelo too.”
    He may start today vs Lester. I wouldn’t mind it.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont understand why they continue to let Carlson struggle. I realize there are no minor leagues but there are reasons you dont bring guys up before they are ready.

Participant

Paid - Annual

But there is minor league ball this year CC. If you are watching the games you are seeing it. Rotating not ready now if ever minor leaguers filling the bottom of the order every night. Now Ravelo DHing. Since when is that MLB. Its getting some of them some reps I guess it’s all they can do this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BB – Ravelo was in 29 games for the Cardinals last season. It’s not his first rodeo.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Evade my point if you want, but we are seeing minor league ball on the same field we are playing mlb games. Getting in some AAA+ reps in an otherwise lost season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While no one was paying attention, Carlson has started just two of six games this month. He is quietly no longer an every-day player. Ravelo has been on the roster five days and this is his first action. They have to play the bench guys sometimes (except for the catcher, of course!).

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“While no-one was paying attention”

Participant

Paid - Annual

I got a chuckle there Brian. They have to play the bench guys instead of . . . Other bench guys ? ?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ravelo’s getting a shot. Need for Dean to get the same.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t look now, but Randy Arozarena has come out of the chute strong in his first few games for the Rays. Never should have traded him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SSS alert!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked Arozarena, but will be happy when Liberatore comes up as solace.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Arozarena + for Liberatore + is nothing compared to the Ozuna trade. TB sees immediate returns, we see future returns. TBD

Zac Gallen has already surpassed Ozuna’s at STL production, without considering Alcantara, Castano and Sierra. Those value results could get worse and worse because Ozuna’s value to STL is now capped at 4.5 brWAR. Those STL players traded away have already produced 7.9 brWAR. Could get ugly, TBD.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Pham trade looking up, though. Cabrera hitting nearly 100 on the gun now. For a lefty. Sure wish Williams would heat it up.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera buckled Rizzo’s knees last night. How often do you see that?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those (bccran especially) wondering about Austin Dean, he is ready to go and available to be called up if needed. Like pretty much every player in Springfield I ask about, reports on him are “good”.

The reason I had to ask is that as far as I can tell, Dean remains on the COVID IL and has not been optioned out, like Edmundo Sosa, for example.

Participant

Paid - Annual

At AAA last year –

Arozarena – .358/.435/.593/1.028
    Dean – .337/.401/.635/1.036

I may be old fashioned, but those numbers seem outstanding to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep, the Marlins must have been really impressed with Dean’s Triple-A results… Oh yeah, he has 311 plate appearances over almost 100 games in MLB, too, but let’s pretend that doesn’t matter. Perhaps their prior organizations just aren’t enlightened… 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s had two tough shots at MLB. Maybe the third time’s a charm. Let’s hope so.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are only 20 days left in 2020 so Dean may not get a chance until next year.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Zac Gallen has already surpassed Ozuna’s at STL production, without considering Alcantara, Castano and Sierra. Those value results could get worse and worse because Ozuna’s value to STL is now capped at 4.5 brWAR. Those STL players traded away have already produced 7.9 brWAR. Could get ugly, TBD.

Thanks for sharing these results. Thanks to a power outage I had difficulty getting the info where I was today. That trade is getting worse by the day. Gallen is one of the best young starters in the league, and Alcantara has been very solid too. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they could be the near equivalent of Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson. Would you have traded those two for Marcell Ozuna? Awful trade.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years