Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Oh, and 25, Williams just flies out, so our SS and OF (minus Edman) are 0-9 today.

Participant

Free

Hi Bc. I notice you are missing the stats on Edman, so I will supply them for you: he is 2 for 4*

* I guess one of them doesn’t count because I think he got it after switching to 2nd.

Participant

Free

He’s an infielder, so cal.

Participant

Free

Oh, ok Bc. Well, I guess you run baseball, I forgot. I thought 225 innings in the outfield made someone a valid OFer. But we can throw out logic on your behalf, and just let you win arguments based on your own criteria.

It saves time, and anguish that way, and it doesn’t really matter, because no amount of logic or data input is going to ever, ever, allow you to change your mind.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like how ANY position players splits page, gives their production by position played during a season.

Participant

Free

Okay, so cal, here we go again having to respond to your snarky put down comments.

Thomas Hyunsu Edman was a 3 year infielder for Stanford University who was drafted in the 6th round by the Cardinals in 2016.
    For Stanford, he played every game at SS, was all PAC 12 SS, All PAC 12 defensive team, and Academic All America. That summer of 2016, he played SS for the State College Spikes. In 2017, he spent time at Peoria, Palm Beach, and Springfield. He played 114 games at SS that season, and 3 games at 2B. In 2018, he split time between Springfield and Memphis. He played 68 games at SS, 36 games at 2B, and 22 games at 3B. In 2019, he started the year at Memphis. He had 10 games at SS, 25 games at 2B, 9 games at 3B, and (what do you know), 2 games in CF. Finally, in the crazy shortened season in 2020 with so many double headers he played in 55 games for the Cardinals. He played 31 games at 3B (because of Carp’s fog), 13 games at SS, and 8 games at 2B. He did indeed play 21 games in the outfield because of the ineffectiveness of players out there.

So in all of his games as an amateur and all of his games as a pro he’s played a grand total of 23 games in the outfield.
    Then, the Cards didn’t exercise Wong’s option and penned him in as the starting second baseman for the 2021 season.

He’s only appeared in the OF this season in 6 opening games because of the pathetic performance so far of Williams and Dean.

So I’ll say it again, so cal. Edman is an infielder. The Cardinals starting second baseman.

Participant

Free

Cardinals R/G = 5.5. Cardinals record 4 – 2.

Participant

Free

BTW, Edman started in RF tonight. That makes him a starting outfielder.

Participant

Free

The outfielders tonight were 3 for 12 with 5 strikeouts, 4 RBIs and 4 LOB. Our dynamic duo of Goldschmidt and Arenado were 2 for 10 with 2 strikeouts 1 RBI and 6 LOB.

Participant

Free

The only reason Edman sees the outfield is because there’s no one else hitting out there but Carlson. The centerfielder says his forearm is sore. The backup centerfielder didn’t make the team.
    The left fielder has Ked 8 out of his last 12 PAs. The opening day starting RFer is O for the season. And Dean, Dean the hitting Maxine has been anything but.

Participant

Free

So in all of his games as an amateur and all of his games as a pro he’s played a grand total of 23 games in the outfield

This is fiction.

Participant

Free

Bc, thank you for showing me what your definition of hitting is. I’ll remember that the next time you want to complain about Bader’s hitting.

Participant

Free

Okay, so cal –

Google “Edman Baseball Cube”.

Scroll down to career fielding statistics.
    It will give you the number of games at every position by season and by team. Add them up.

Forsch – you’re a poster looking for confrontation. Do you get a thrill out of “calling people out?” Sheath your sword.

Participant

Free

Thanks bc, I’ll give your advice the consideration it’s deserved.

Participant

Free

Thanks, Forsch. Seriously, this isn’t meant to be a poster battleground. Let’s just talk baseball and Cardinals, okay? I’m sure the moderators would agree with that. Don’t you agree? Thanks for your consideration in advance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The fact this thread has made it 35 pages is amazing really. Our record is 4-2 and we have a pretty good team. The last time I checked there was more to winning games than having a beefy offense. What about pitching, defense, base running, holding runners on, fundamentals, club house chemistry, managerial strategy, front office support, etc…. Do each of those areas of the game need their own thread? All that matters is getting the W, whether the score is 1-0 or 15-14.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I am appreciative of forsch for bringing this thread back. IMO, it is better to have this one continuing thread rather than have the same posts repeated on every other thread.

Participant

Free

gscottar – I agree with you completely. But the OF remains in the spotlight. I would draw your attention to the sports writers at the PD who are addressing it repeatedly.

Right now, we have RA at .360, YM at .316, PG at .308, and TE at .280. At the other end of the spectrum we have PDJ at .150, TO at .125, and DC at .158. RF is a void. 4 guys simply can’t continue to carry this offense.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I missed the game last night. Did O’Neill actually strikeout three more times???

Participant

Go with this until it doesn’t work anymore…. or until Bader comes back…. even then this might be our best offensive lineup.

1. Edman RF
    2. Molina C
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Arenado 3B
    5. Nogowski LF
    6. Carlson CF
    7. DeJong SS
    8. Sosa 2B
    9. Pitcher

Participant

Free

3 times last night, and now 12 times in the first 6 games.

Participant

Free

Google “Edman Baseball Cube”.

Scroll down to career fielding statistics.
    It will give you the number of games at every position by season and by team. Add them up.

Thanks for the link bc.
    Here is one for you.

Tommy Edman career fielding

Why is there a discrepancy? I haven’t checked your source, but I suspect it is fine. But someone left out Edman’s 2019 OF experience at the Major League level. Last line: 36 games, 32 starts. Accidents happen.

Participant

Free

Moving on, Edman has had 48 Total Chances in the database I linked to, with two errors. I tried to find those errors in the OF, because two errors is a lot for only 48 TC – one would have been more normal. But they don’t show up in the MLB video search under “edman” and “fielding” and “7,8,9” and “error”.

But here are the 65 normal plays in their database, if you would like to look at his plays.

MLB media search for Edman in the OF

I looked at a smattering, but didn’t find any particularly good or bad.

If you’d like to look at them yourself, in order to receive either a) confidence that he is OK in the OF, or b) examples of him doing poorly, like the two errors which I couldn’t find in their database, go for it.

Participant

Free

For advanced statistics from statcast, we have a bit better luck:

Baseball Savant OAA

For Outs Above Average from 2019-2020 (I can’t access 2021 data if it exists), one can see that Tommy was in the group of above-average OFers for the Cardinals in 2019 and 2020. He saved 3 runs, with 3 above average catches (I don’t believe this database includes good throws/assists). I believe the hieroglyphic shows that his outstanding plays were by going back on long balls.

Three runs is not much compared to Bader of O’Neill, but pretty good for his limited chances in the OF. Tommy with 48 chances, Bader with 330, and O’Neill with 132 over the same period 2019-20.

If you are not faint of heart, scroll down to the bottom of the OAA table to view Dex, Martínez, Muñoz, and Ozuna, with “success added” of -5%, -6%, -8%, and -4%. Munoz seems to have been the worst. If this discussion was about Munoz not being an OFer, even when placed there, I would be in more more agreement with you. He was just awful. Edman is very competent, and by Statcast definition above average in the outfield.

In fact, if you were to scale his OAA by TC, his ‘cream’ would rise right to the top, and would be competing with Bader’s 14 OAA, which was 7th in MLB.

Participant

Free

So what I gather from the last page or so is Mo needs to go out and get someone either for the outfield or 2nd? lol

It’s early and guys have chances to right the ship but you know my thoughts. I’ll save the freakout until May 1.

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,010 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years