Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, just noticed it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe there’s a difference in NL divisions?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that’s a safe assumption, that I’ll bet you could verify, but this winter things get scrambled up again. We’re actually a perfect example of changes. In 18′ we had six RH SP’rs make between 15 and 32 GS. This season we added a LH SP to the rotation in KK. Next season we could have both KK and Gomber in the rotation.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

oops, i omitted 2019. 160 RH GS, 2 LH GS

Participant

Paid - Annual

How’s that MOTO tonight, in a super crucial game?

Participant

Free

“Losing Wong’s defense would be a bigger deal than some make it out to be. Edman isn’t close to the defender Wong is. Run prevention is an important aspect of the game also.”

Maybe a little, but Edman is above average. Not suggesting putting Carpenter at 2B.
    You said “hard no” on Arenado. I’d agree, with the contract, season he’s had and what they would want I’d not want him. But Trevor Story is a free agent after 2021. Move DeJong to 3B.
    Vs rhp
    1. Edman 2B
    2. Pederson LF
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Story SS
    5. DeJong 3B
    6. Carlson CF
    7. Molina C
    8. Carpenter DH(assuming it happens)
    9. Fowler RF

Miller (or another utilityman), Ravelo?, Bader, Knizner

Vs LHP
    1. Edman 2B
    2. Carlson LF
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Story SS
    5. DeJong 3B
    6. Ravelo? DH
    7. Molina C
    8. Bader CF
    9. Fowler RF

Not saying it’s perfect or would happen. But I think it’s way better than what we see now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

667 –

You still have Bader and Fowler in the outfield. Don’t believe that’s going to work. Here are Fowler’s numbers for the past 28 days – .207/.234/.345/.668
    And we already know about Bader’s lack of hitting.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could add Mike Trout for Harrison Bader, for free, we’re now a 86 win club. Whoopie!

We’re a .500 club and any one player we add is just marginal wins. There’s a ton of work to be done on this roster. It’s much easier and enjoyable for me to just support who the FO decides we are.

Participant

Free

And they aren’t going to be able to move Carpenter or Fowler contract. And they aren’t going to spend a ton of money. If they can move Martinez, Wong, O’Neill they would be selling low but can clear out Martinez and Wong money, get a couple lottery pick prospects to fill the void of what it would take to add a 3B/SS in prospects. I mentioned Story because hes a free agent after 2021 and Colorado could look to move him having the Arenado and Blackmon contracts already. Cardinals could make a competitive offer to him after 2021 to keep him with Carpenter and Fowler money coming off the books. Maybe they save too by keeping Sosa as the utility man in Miller’s spot. But Sosa is out of options and won’t be able to be sent down.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see Dejong at 3B as a real option. His bat is not strong enough to play there long term. A 100 wRC+ with strong defense plays OK at short, but at 3B that becomes a liability. Plus you then harpoon the trade value you have of a 4 WAR SS becoming a 2 WAR 3B.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Putting Story at SS and DeJong at 3B might be fine for one year but once again we would be blocking Gorman which I don’t agree with. How about let’s find an OF bat instead of an IF bat?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I turned on the Dodgers-Angels game late last night just in time to see Joc Pederson smack a go ahead homerun. I thought that was ironic since his name has popped up frequently here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, it is time for the organization to reflect on what has happened to the offense over the past several seasons and make changes. I am not convinced that staying the course will not create change for the better. Fixing things may require a number of significant changes:

A. How hitters are scouted and who is doing the scouting
    B. How hitters are developed and who is developing the players
    C. How hitters prepare at the ML level and who is coaching them
    D. How do you improve the ML line up and bench within the financial constraints the club will face.

I have become fairly certain that the team will face financial constraints as it heads into 2021. I am assuming that MLB will not be operating under a business as usual situation until 2022. Given this, I am not sure it is realistic to assume the club will be able to take on two or three large salaries without other salaries being made.

Participant

Free

“Putting Story at SS and DeJong at 3B might be fine for one year but once again we would be blocking Gorman which I don’t agree with. How about let’s find an OF bat instead of an IF bat?”

That was honestly kinda my point at moving DeJong to 3B. His defense at SS doesn’t rate high because of his range, which is avg, its his hands which still plays at 3B and his bat hasn’t really come around, yes 30 HR but still only 99 OPS+ due to a .233/.318/.444 slash which isn’t better this year at a pace of 12 HR over the same number of AB as last year. If Story, who ranks highly defensively, could be re-signed and DeJong develops as a hitter then yes he’s blocking Gorman, and a nice problem to have, if he continues to struggle then a move to Gorman wouldn’t be hard.

Participant

Free

There is also the possibility of moving DeJong to 2B when Wong leaves if Story was acquired.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Are you sure about DeJong’s range?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Acquiring a SS or 3B just seems like a weird move since we are stocked at that position already. DeJong is signed for several more years. He is going to be an everyday player. Upgrading at OF seems more logical to me.

Years ago DeWitt ordered the FO to start building from within and use the pipeline. Our pipeline at 3B is now stacked and all of a sudden we are not going to use it? That doesn’t add up.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C667, not sure what you mean by your comments. Dejong’s defense is more than fine at SS. He has a career 38 DRS, 10.1 range runs and 7.2 UZR/150. Story is at 46 DRS with one extra year, -2.8 range runs and 2.9 UZR/150. So it seems like Dejong rates higher on range than Story and both are relatively well thought of overall. His home/away splits are also a little scary.

What do you think it would take to get Story in a trade? I guess that would determine what interest I might have.

Participant

Free

Same stats that said Jhonny Peralta was 5.8 UZR/ 6.0 UZR/150 with 1.4 range runs. I believe my eyes when it comes to defense. Story can play.
    I’m really making it sound like I’m sold on Story and this idea. I’m not. More was just thinking out side the box for an answer with very limited options on where to go and what to do because of finances and availability and I have no clue what it would take, which also brings up availability because of what the Cardinals can and will give up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What are range runs?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When someone at the range has a negligent discharge, people run

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the help. I’ll look it up.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our regular season is over after 58 games.

29 times we scored 3 or less runs (W/L 4-25)
    29 times we scored 4 or more runs (W/L 26-3)

5 times we scored 4 runs (W/L 3-2)
    24 times we scored 5 or more (W/L 23-1)

Participant

Free

funny how someone would say we still have bader and fowler in the outfield but yet their numbers are better than the numbers of the other guy in that group cards667 mentioned and no reason looking at his past to just assume hes going to get better, he might but cant assume.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Carlson, Gorman, Montero, Nunez, and Torres can supply some answers.

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years