Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals ended up last in Major League Baseball in home runs and last in doubles. It’s time to get that offense going to take a little pressure off the pitchers. The Padres have Tatis, Mercado, Myers, Hosmer, etc. in their lineup, and are probably going to score a few runs.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2020 final OPS+ results

142 Goldschmidt
    120 Miller
    111 Bader

92 Fowler
    87 Wong
    87 Edman

84 DeJong
    81 Molina
    77 Carpenter

68 O’Neill
    66 Carlson
    48 Wieters
    45 Ravelo

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The STL team OPS+ of 90, was tied at 21st, with the CHC (mlb avg of 100)

The STL team BAbip was 16th at .290, mlb avg was .292

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Those numbers are not promising, but playoffs are a small sample size event, so anything can happen — especially if pitching and defense hold solid.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Check the MLB OPS individual player rankings for 2020. The Cardinals had one player in the top 125 this season – Goldy was at #28. That’s the problem. No pop. Very weak MOTO.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

.205 / .356 / .430 / .786 / 111 ops+ yelich
    .226 / .336 / .443 / .779 / 111 ops+ bader
    🙂

Participant

Paid - Annual

Really? Whom would you rather coming up to the plate if both played for the Cardinals?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I couldn’t resist. I tried, then said DO IT!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume this thread will continue unabated until we trade for that big bat at the winter meetings in December 2022??

It won’t happen this winter because of our payroll problems and we will probably hold off an additional year since there might be a work stoppage in 2022.

You got 26 more months to discuss this bcran.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s actually a very current topic looking at trades for arbitration guys and possible FA signings with older guys who may be able to contribute, and don’t cost an arm and a leg. Shorter term fixes.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d appreciate it if you’d expand your search bcran. We have one everyday player, one maybe (Carlson) and the rest are platoon bats. 26 months will be a challenge to finish.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I posted this in another thread. Marcell Ozuna hit .338 with 18 homeruns and 56 rbi’s.

In a full season that equates to 45-50 homeruns and around 140 rbi’s.

How did this happen?????

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s a certain excitement a few players generate when they step up to the plate. A certain aura of confidence and a powerful swing. It was there with Albert.
    It was there with Edmonds. It was there with Rolen. It was there with McGwire. It was there with Beltran. It was there with Berkman. It’s somewhat there with Goldy, although not quite as much as in prior years. And it was there with Ozuna. He passed the eyes on test. And he’s crushing it this year. As he did several years ago. It’s an element we’re missing in our lineup right now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

….and it was there for Barry Binds.

Ozuna was crushing it in 2017 and won a GG. In 2018 and 2019 with the Cardinals, he was not ‘crushing it’ nor was he playing good defense. Amazing how a player can turn it on, the turn it off, then turn it back on again. IMO, the organization that hands him a long term, megacontract runs the risk that Ozuna will turn it off again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That is ridiculous.

Fact. Ozuna was just 7% better than an MLB-average hitter in his two years with the Cardinals. To suggest he was in the same class as those others mentioned in team history is just not accurate.

He wasn’t even anywhere near the best hitter on his own Cardinals teams.

In 2018, his 106 OPS+ was tied for fifth-best on the Cardinals with Harrison Bader. Ahead of them were Matt Carpenter, Jose Martinez, Yairo Munoz and Jedd Gyorko.

In 2019, his 109 OPS+ was third on the team after Edman and Goldschmidt, with Wong right behind at 108.

His defense was awful and he had no place to play other than the outfield. His “eyes on test” for most Cardinals fans for two years was predominantly negative.

Cardinals OPS+
    McGwire 180
    Pujols 170
    Berkman 159
    Edmonds 143 (plus 6 Gold Gloves)
    Beltran 127 (at age 35/36)
    Rolen 127 (plus 4 Gold Gloves)
    ….
    Ozuna 107 (minus poor defense)

Be upset that the Cardinals are lacking offense. I get it. On the other hand, these after the fact attempts to make Ozuna into something he wasn’t just aren’t right.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s actually a very current topic looking at trades for arbitration guys and possible FA signings with older guys who may be able to contribute

We actually have a thread towards the top of the page called Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas. Few people seem to use it for whatever reason.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He was in the top 3 in home runs and RBIs for the Cardinals in 2019. And if you couldn’t tell the difference at the plate between he, Thomas, O’Neill, and Bader I can’t help. There’s a certain aura among good power hitters. Sure it’s eyes on. But lots of posters can tell the difference. Some players have it and some don’t. Did he have a monster year while here? No, but his power and bat speed were evident. The ball shot off his bat. His nickname was the “Bear”. Glad he’s doing great for Atlanta. Just wish he was still here. Playing for a team that ranks at the very bottom of MLB in power.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And Pablo Sandoval’s nickname is Panda. So what? This rear-view mirror build up of Ozuna has gotten silly.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, since this thread is about offense, maybe it’s appropriate to talk about possibilities for the future as well as possible mistakes in the recent past. Mistakes, that you know, BW, we can learn from and not make again (which have put us in such dire straights offensively). Isn’t studying history somewhat important re improving future considerations and actions?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find it stunning how all these players are middling while here and then suddenly become sluggers when they find themselves in bandbox stadiums. It’s quite the surprise. Almost as surprising as the groaning from others teams’ fans when the Cards take a pitching prospect that the prospect gurus aren’t high on and he becomes a star. It’s almost like the stadium tilts extremely toward pitching over offense or something.

I’ll keep rooting for the Cards, thanks…not gonna demean or belittle the guys we have and pine for the ones who refused to come back over a pittance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will offer another thought on the Ozuna trade and would be curious if bc is willing to comment on it. These are the guys we traded to get him:

Zac Gallen 3-2, 2.75 ERA 1.11 WHIP
    Sandy Alcantara 3-2, 3.00 ERA 1.19 WHIP

Both are 25 years old. Would you consider this a good trade, based on Ozuna’s time in St Louis?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I look at it this way…. each transaction is unique and perhaps a roll of the dice since you cannot predict the future. There have been some good pickups (Kim has been a heaven-sent) but they don’t make up for the transactions that turned out to be very sour and very expensive. Those poor performances and injuries have been killers.

It seems that Mo’s magic-eight ball is flawed and has been wrong more than right. The system has also failed him for the most part. What that leaves us with is a very mediocre team. And for whatever reason it keeps the Cards in status quo mode.

Participant

Free

I will precede my following statements by agreeing with gscottar that this thread is a bit overdone, but…

Fact. Ozuna was just 7% better than an MLB-average hitter in his two years with the Cardinals. To suggest he was in the same class as those others mentioned in team history is just not accurate.

Ozuna’s exit velocity last year was elite, to the point that many predicted his breakout this year no matter where he played.

I find it stunning how all these players are middling while here and then suddenly become sluggers when they find themselves in bandbox stadiums.

Ozuna played in Marlins park prior to coming to St. Louis. Marlins park is every bit the pitchers park Busch Stadium is.

Would you consider this a good trade, based on Ozuna’s time in St Louis?

The flaw in the trade was that Mozeliak traded for an injured player, who he knew to be injured. That DID affect his plate performance in St. Louis, and given that he injured his shoulder diving for a ball, undoubtedly affected his defense. His exit velocity last year (and some of his throws) suggested his shoulder was returning to normal. Though some of his reads in the OF were downright comical.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a question for the upcoming 2021 rankings…. which young players have lost their prospect status this season? I’m asking it it here because this is a very active topic.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 – yes, the Cards gave up good pitching prospects to get Ozuna. They have been making trades like that for years. Emphasize pitching in the draft and use some of them for trade chips if necessary to get good position players. They didn’t do that last off season and are enduring the consequences.

LA – Thanks for your insightful comments.
    Some folks on here haven’t considered the injury factor. Which might have been significant. It’s going to be too bad if he puts up 2020 type offensive numbers for years to come and returns to gold glove type defense.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years