Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really like Carlson. And glad he’s getting a chance to get a little major league time, even though it’s a bit premature and he should be getting some more time at Memphis. Good looking, clean cut athlete.

Participant

Free

Good looking, clean cut athlete.

I wish those traits would help the offense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They will over time. Carlson should be at Memphis with Bader and O’Neill in the lineup. But their lack of production has turned things a bit upside down. Along with Thomas.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt just talked about the offense. Said both Central Divisions have more pitchers with swing and miss stuff compared to the East and West Divisions. Said the Cards have a better walk rate and lower K rate, but unable to SLG consistently. If they could, they would be one of the best offenses. On the latter, they are getting good pitches and doing the best they can. It is not due to lack of awareness or effort.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Outfield was 1 for 10 yesterday. Was 1 for 9 tonight. 2 for 19 – .105 average over the past 2 games.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last 15 game played batting averages:

Wong .216
    Edman .296
    Goldy .250
    Miller .143
    Dejong .191
    Yadi .196
    Carp .231
    O’Neill .135
    Bader .162
    Carlson .178
    Fowler .261
    Wieters .194

It isn’t just the outfield, bc. The whole team can’t hit. Perhaps the Jeff Albert experiment needs to end. Maybe his success was all due to the trash can thumping crowd.

Participant

Free

Yeah it is not a OF problem it is a whole team stinks as a whole hitting wise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think what finally pushed me over the edge was the series of Pirates pitchers who logged career-best outings against the Cardinals offense. They are making every opposing starter look good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy, DeJong, Wong, Molina, Edman and Miller could only carry the offense for so long before the “tired” factor set in with all the double headers. The young outfielders who were being rotated didn’t produce (along with Carp). And Dexter, who was having a decent season, went down. It all goes back to the outfield problem.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No one has produced. We have two above average hitters in the lineup and Miller is swooning so badly that he may end up below average. They are tired, yes, but the approach is bad. There’s talent available but it’s being wasted. It’s a convenient narrative to blame it on the few players you hate and not on the ones you like, but there’s one factor tying it all together: Albert’s tutelage. That has to be acknowledged.

Participant

Free

I am trying to figure out why all the remarks about an awful hitting team that got zero help from the do nothing front office. Starts at the top.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

It’s a convenient narrative to blame it on the few players you hate and not on the ones you like,

How true.

Consider this. Is it damaging to have a veteran MLB player who is underperforming against his long-established career norms or a young player to fall short of initial expectations?

My take is the former is more concerning than the latter, yet the young players seem to get pounded on more.

but there’s one factor tying it all together: Albert’s tutelage. That has to be acknowledged.

I know many don’t like Mark Saxon, but he is the rare local media person to ask tough questions. The other day, he asked Mo specifically about hitting coaches for next year and about criticism of Albert specifically. It was the day the layoffs were being announced. Mo stated all MLB coaches would be evaluated after the season. He also noted they did not have the lineup expected on the field, then COVID. Said it would not be the fairest way to evaluate anyone.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am trying to figure out why all the remarks about an awful hitting team that got zero help from the do nothing front office. Starts at the top.

What moves would you have made, Larry?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Houstonlarry24 said:

Starts at the top.

It all gets down to where each of us feel the root problem is greatest:

The ownership direction/budget
    The roster assembled by the front office
    The managing/coaching
    The players themselves

The answers will vary by who you ask. IMO, all have responsibility, but it is difficult to put percents on each…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know many don’t like Mark Saxon, but he is the rare local media person to ask tough questions. The other day, he asked Mo specifically about hitting coaches for next year and about criticism of Albert specifically. It was the day the layoffs were being announced. Mo stated all MLB coaches would be evaluated after the season. He also noted they did not have the lineup expected on the field, then COVID. Said it would not be the fairest way to evaluate anyone.

Kudos to Saxon for asking that. I agree that it’s been a weird year and not necessarily fair to evaluate long term decisions on. But this isn’t necessarily a one year thing either. At some point, his seat has to start getting hot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think his seat is hot, but it gets down to the point I made above about who is responsible. Albert would be a convenient person to sacrifice, but is that the best way to get the Cardinals hitters to improve? Hard to tell, but my gut says it is more of a player talent issue. But, even if they were planning to make a change after the season, it would not be discussed now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t “hate” anything or anybody, 25. But you’re right about one particular player I don’t care for. The simple fact is that Mo had 4 young outfielders that he rolled the dice with, expecting at least one (preferably two) to step up. It didn’t happen. None of them have earned a starting job. It was Mo’s gamble, affected by payroll.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fair enough. Fire Mo then along with Albert.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I simply think that Mo should have found a way to trade for outfield help over the off season. Or re-signed Ozuna, bad defense and all. When you have a guy who’s been a reserve infielder for 4 major league teams over the past 2 years hitting cleanup for you, you know there’s a MOTO problem.

Participant

Free

In other words, you want the guy you don’t like demoted because you don’t think he is doing his job. Yet, the guy you do like also isn’t doing his job, according to your post, but he can stay in his job. Do I have that right?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If both are underperforming, I’d go with the guy whom you know is going to be a fixture in your outfield for years to come and give him as much exposure as possible.
    Springfield is now out.

Right field is taken next year. Carlson in center, if not in April then shortly thereafter. That leaves only left field and third base (until Gorman arrives) to figure out.

Participant

Free

I am referring to Mo, not Carlson.

As far as I am concerned, I know you will always say play Carlson, despite logic to the contrary. Just because he has a higher ceiling than Bader doesn’t mean he should play when he is struggling so bad.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Have you read much of this thread? I have stated dozens, if not hundreds, of times that the front office didn’t do much because they were boxed in payroll wise, mostly due to their own contract mistakes of the past.

Frankly, I am amazed that this thread continues to linger. The same complaints are made, the same explanations and counter arguments are made, then the whole process starts over the next day. It is like the movie Groundhog Day, which I don’t like because Bill Murray is an obnoxious Cub fan off the screen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo has been in the Cardinal organization since 1995. He’s been the GM/PBO since 2007. The success is obvious. In the last few years he’s gotten Heyward, Fowler, and Ozuna trying to stabilize the OF. Last off season he didn’t make a move. I disagree with him on that. And hold him accountable. If it’s a payroll issue, he created that issue.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar – this thread has continued because the offense continues to be a problem. A very good point was made about payroll. Then some of us have tried to come up with ideas on trades that wouldn’t significantly impact 2021 payroll. That’s an interesting discussion.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years