Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

In a perfect world, I would snap my fingers and replace 3B, LF and RF with better contact hitters that play good defense, too. However, that is not going to happen. We will have to finish out the year with what we have.

Participant

Free

For school….and as long as Mo is here next year as well. It’s almost criminal.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the Albert philosophy of just trying to put the ball in play is helping the team hit some singles, but it’s certainly not helping the power. Guys like Goldy, Dejong, Wong and Carp are hitting for less power than ever (Carp probably is toast but the others still have some or a lot of gas left in the tank). The hoped for pop from O’Neill or Thomas has never come. Carlson isn’t likely to be a thumper even if he does hit well. Montero, Gorman, Baker, etc must be the hope to add a 30 HR bat to the lineup in the coming years or it’s to the Brad Miller bin for Mo.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now the Cards are ranked
    last in MLB in doubles and tied for last in home runs. They’re 3-4 less games played than most teams, but still.

Participant

Free

Bccran, for all these stats you keep bringing up, what do you want the Cardinals to do about it TODAY? Not last year. Not this off season. Not even next week. What do you want the Cardinals to do about it today?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Forsch, for one I’d like to see Sosa given a shot. Last year at Memphis, he was
    .291/.335/.466/.801. He had 18 doubles, 5 triples, and 17 home runs in 118 games. I saw him in 3 games at Spring Training this past March and he was impressive. He can play 3B, 2B, and SS. Is he injured or still not well?

Participant

Paid - Annual

This offense would be totally different if Carpenter was hitting like he did in 2018 when he was taking salsa. Totally different. I think we can hold Mo accountable for not knowing what was going on before he extended Carpenter for those big bucks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo gave him the big bucks because he hammered 42 doubles and 36 home runs during the 2018 season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So, Forsch, any thoughts on Sosa? Anyone else know why he hasn’t been given a shot?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL now 12-8 W/L in double headers.

13 runs in 13 innings yesterday, scoring in 6 different innings.
    The three outfield positions account for 5 of the 12 RBI.
    The club slashed .269 / .322 / .462 / .784
    ———-
    Wieters Sept:
    7 GS, 23 PA, 6 for 19, 5 singles, 1 double, 1/4 BB/K
    .316 / .409 / .368 / .778

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, Carlson, did indeed have 3 of those 5 RBIs on one swing of the bat. Sure hope he can keep that up. The outfield needs it badly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Twitter wants Wieters released and Yadi rested so Knizner can play.

On Sosa, since no one outside the organization has any insight on how anyone played in Springfield this summer, there is no clear answer. One could either guess he is hurt or did not perform well. Schrock clearly passed him by as the designated utility infielder call up, despite the fact Sosa is more versatile defensively.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was nice to see Carlson finally have an impact game, he needed it. Now we’ll see how Shildt addresses BW’s Carpenter scenario. Does Edman at 3B force Carp to the bench regularly with Carlson getting regular starts?

Carpenter is now 0 for his last 20, 0 BB’s, 7 K’s

Participant

Paid - Annual

bcran,

Martinez and Woodford/Oviedo might fetch a decent bat but I am skeptical about CMart’s value. Why would KC want to pay him $11.5M next year to pitch the way he is pitching? They wouldn’t. Oviedo would have value on the trade market but that wouldn’t help us move salary.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then the natural guy to trade I guess (along with several pitching prospects) is Kolten Wing.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s no way I would trade value for someone like Soler. He had one good season, and even that season was marginal (2.7 WAR). He’s not good enough to block out O’Neill and Carlson from regular playing time for.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Soler’s not better than O’Neill?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My trade proposal is Gomber, Bader, Edman and Oviedo for Arenado. But you only do that if you get Arenado to agree to stay.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Soler’s not better than O’Neill?

O’Neill 2.1 career WAR in 395 career at bats. Soler 4.2 career WAR in 1727 at bats. You tell me.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

O’Neill with half the WAR of Soler in 1/4 of the at bats. Extrapolating that you would have O’Neill at 8.4 WAR in roughly 1600 at bats.

That’s why you need to keep playing him. Gotta see what you have with that guy, as the speed and power combo is too enticing to give up on at this point.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sorry, 25. Soler had 48 home runs last year and drove in 117. That’s elite. I’ll go with that.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sorry, 25. Soler had 48 home runs last year and drove in 117. That’s elite. I’ll go with that.

He was also elite at leading the league in strikeouts. His 48 HRs were over half his career total. You don’t find that a little fishy?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If you were guaranteed of getting the 2019 Soler, sure. But you have to assess whether or not that is going to be his typical season going forward, or if it was his peak. No perfect answer, but you have to take in as much information as you can.

O’Neill is probably better in 2021, 2022 than today. Will Soler be better than Ty? Could be, but how much better compared to what you give up. I am not sold that he is the answer.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I look at 2019. O’Neill had an OPS of .723. Soler had an OPS of .923. You tell me.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

look at 2019. O’Neill had an OPS of .723. Soler had an OPS of .923. You tell me.

No, you conveniently select whatever stats suit your argument best. Soler’s .923 OPS got him 3.6 WAR for his efforts. Solid (which also paints his rest of career stats as pretty mediocre). Your favorite punching bag, O’Neill…his 2020 stats prorated to the 679 plate appearances Soler got last year comes out to 3.4 WAR. Also 34 HRs and 83 RBIs (all stats should go up after tonight, as Tyler was the hero with the double). They’re a lot more equal than you think, and one is making league minimum.

I’ll tell you what…I’ll agree that we should trade fair value for Soler. I’d offer the Royals Jake Woodford straight up for him and nothing more. That’s a fair trade, IMO. Soler can DH.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by stlcard25stlcard25.
Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years