Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 803 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sorry, but I’m old school. Batting average is one stat. So is OBP. So is Slg. So is OPS. So is total bases. So are number of doubles, triples, and home runs. I’ll stay with what has always worked for me. At the same time, I highly respect those who use a more sophisticated stat called OPS+. To each his own.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Bader, I am not sure what else you can do. At least he can pick it, and had some good numbers coming through the system.

I think you stick with him this year, then maybe include him in a blockbuster off season deal to bring in Arenado. I think Harry would thrive out here. His defense becomes extremely valuable, and he would likely hit better here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One interesting observation about Bader. When he goes through his gyrations –
    gloves, upper body shimmy, hand back, hip thrusts, etc. he doesn’t seem to do well. When he just steps up to the plate and swings, he seems to be fine. See ball hit ball. Maybe at times he’s giving himself too much time to think – and to worry.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Haven’t noticed that. But in general I do think a lot of guys do too much BS stuff between execution. Schumacher and his constant wrist band adjustments for example. Course he is done now.

I commented recently on Woodford. I would like to see that guy get the ball and be ready to pitch, instead of his long process between each pitch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This offensive is interesting. In 2019 the
    average runs per game ranked 21st in MLB.
    Right now, it’s 24th. Not complaining. Just stating a fact.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While certain players’ habits can annoy anyone, suggesting we know better than they do the best way for professional athletes to get comfortable and be effective seems quite the stretch indeed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This pitching is interesting. In 2019 the
    team ERA ranked 5th in MLB.
    Right now, it’s 10th. Not complaining. Just stating a fact.

This defense is interesting. In 2019 the
    team fielding percentage ranked 1st in MLB.
    Right now, it’s 15th. Not complaining. Just stating a fact.

Participant

Free

BA, BA, BA
    Batting average doesn’t know the difference between a single and a HR. Does that difference matter to anyone reading this?

OPS+ knows the difference. These 9 players lead the team in PA’s, here’s their ops+.

Goldschmidt 155
    Miller 145
    DeJong 118
    Bader 103
    Edman 100
    Wong 85
    Carpenter 79
    O’Neill 75
    Molina 71

That doesn’t fit the narrative that Bader is terrible and will never make progress

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The OPS shows two guys having really good seasons, another guy having a solid season, two guys who are keague average and everyone else sucks offensively. Also, this is the worst offense in MLB. They lead the league strikeouts despite having played 5 fewer games.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CardinalsRant_/status/1306780065418674178

Participant

Paid - Annual

So, BW, in stating those facts are you saying this is an average to bad team overall?

And BHC, thank you for that fact about strikeouts. Another interesting fact about the offense.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, this is the worst offense in MLB. They lead the league strikeouts despite having played 5 fewer games.

This is not true. They lead the league in fewest Ks. This is mostly due to the lack of games, though…the K rate is 11th best in MLB.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, BW, in stating those facts are you saying this is an average to bad team overall?

This year, with this set of circumstances, it’s safe to say that’s the case. However, when combining all factors, I don’t know how it’s possible to make any definitive conclusions about the team’s talent. There are a few guys who seem like we can probably say we know what they are based on this whacky year…Yadi, Waino, Carp, Goldy, maybe Edman and Wong. The others all pretty much get incompletes from me. Maybe the FO will feel differently and get that bat you want this off-season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now, the Cardinals rank 5th among 30 teams in MLB in most strike outs per game. In 2019 they ranked 15th. What’s Albert teaching them?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nolan Arenado was a name bandied about here this past off season as rumors were swirling about the Cards’ interest. Nolan Arenado has a .751 OPS this season. One year aberration or the start of his decline phase? Would you trade Gorman and a pitcher like Hudson or Oviedo for that risk?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great illustration why 2020 cannot be looked at the same as any other season, stlcard25. Heck, Arenado’s OPS is just 23 points higher than that of the beleaguered Mr. Bader!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe we can trade Bader for Arenado straight up then. Let the Colorado fans be annoyed with his shimmying and we can find something to gripe about our offense when Arenado hits .265 with 23 HR his first year in St Louis. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do an Ozuna type trade. Arbitration player who’s about to get expensive on a low budget team. Trade Bader, Wong, and a pitcher or two to get a deal done. Scan the existing arbitration players to look for candidates. Exercise Wong’s team option of $12.5MM to make him tradeable.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna is the exact type of player we don’t want. A stone handed DH who stunk the field up in St Louis that we traded two excellent pitchers to get. That trade is Mo’s worst to date. Would you really trade two Gold Glove up the middle defenders for a corner outfielder? Seems short sighted.

Participant

Free

25, it’s all about this second. Forget about next year or the next 4 years. Just win today. If someone goes 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts today, get rid of the bum… Unless I like them.

(We really need blue fonts)

Participant

Paid - Annual

I said an “Ozuna type” trade, 25. It’s a profile of the trade type, not the specific player. As far as Bader and Wong, you still have Dexter next year in RF, so you need a place for Carlson to play when he’s
    ready. That’s CF, where he played when Bader was benched. Edman plays a decent 2B to fill that spot if Wing is gone.

Participant

Free

Under your trade scenario, bcc, playing Edman at 2B full-time leaves Carpenter for 3B. The backups would be Shrock and Sosa. Does that make you feel good about the offense and defense?

Also, Carlson needs to spend at least another month in AAA. Make sure he is ready before bringing him up again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Where’s Carlson going to play if you bring him up in May, 2021 Forsch?

Participant

Free

If he’s ready, he will be taking time from all 3 OF positions. If you start him in the majors at the beginning of the year and he hits like he did this year, you repeat 2020. Is that what you want?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some interesting data…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards rank 26th in slugging percentage.

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 803 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years